3rd Row SUV Experiences

I know you've probably heard Lexus is too expensive. Many people think that. New, they don't cost much more than a Toyota, and can be less than Fords, Jeep, and Chevy. I find the GX a perfect size. They do not have the latest and greatest electronics which I'm ok with.

However, the GX470/460 are bulletproof v8s with bulletproof transmissions. If you take your time, you can buy a 3 year old GX for around 40K which will outlast anything else you can buy. Unlike a lot of other brands, Lexus owners usually maintain their vehicles, and you can find the service records by viewing the Carafe or similar service.

Feel free to ignore the advice, but I feel like it's worth a try. ;)

Damn solid advice here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you own GM or Audi that proved unreliable? Or on the flip side, a Nissan that’s been great?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toyota is pretty much always going to be at or near the top of the pack on reliability, resale, and low cost of ownership(depreciation in value & total repair costs over time of ownership).

At 10 years old, most of the gm mid size SUV’s are toast. Bad timing chains, bad torque converters, and or bad transmission.
Dodge it’s mainly the engines. Hyundai and Kia have had some very serious issues with thier 4cyl and 6 cylinder engines.

I’ve been a buyer for a dealership for over 20 years. 2-3 days a week I’m out looking at thousands of used cars. When you’re looking at vehicles with over around 80k miles, you really see what lasts long term, and what doesn’t. 200k mile GM,Kia,Hyundai, Dodge/chrysler ect without MAJOR repairs will be rhe exception, not the rule.

Toyotas going 200k without major repairs aren’t really all that surprising or noteworthy .

dubllung4

FNG
Just went through this same thing with my wife last year. Decided on a new Pilot and have been very happy. Simple, well thought out, and a proven powertrain.

We liked the Highlander when they had the V6 but wasn’t thrilled with the change to the 4 cylinder. That was the driving factor for us.

mjh

FNG
Didn't read all the responses. We have 2012 Highlander-AWD. Only time we have used the third row was when transporting the offspring and his buddies around to some activity or event. Today that wouldn't happen.
Over 220K and still going. Starting to show it's age. Spouse is the main driver--she loves it--like sitting in the living room driving down the road. Have done some big trips with while pulling 5X8 utility trailer. Out west through Montana, Idaho, Wyoming. Drove all the way around Lake Superior. Several trips to Colorado. It's our main family trip vehicle. Hauled canoes, wood, feed, gear. Gravel backroads all over the place. Very likely to get another one when this one is done. No major repairs--regular maintenance--tires.

OP
beerbucksducks
I know you've probably heard Lexus is too expensive. Many people think that. New, they don't cost much more than a Toyota, and can be less than Fords, Jeep, and Chevy. I find the GX a perfect size. They do not have the latest and greatest electronics which I'm ok with.

However, the GX470/460 are bulletproof v8s with bulletproof transmissions. If you take your time, you can buy a 3 year old GX for around 40K which will outlast anything else you can buy. Unlike a lot of other brands, Lexus owners usually maintain their vehicles, and you can find the service records by viewing the Carafe or similar service.

Feel free to ignore the advice, but I feel like it's worth a try. ;)

I appreciate the tip! You are correct, I assumed Lexus would be out of my price range. I will add them to my list. Thanks!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I did a search and didn’t find anything pertaining to the family grocery getters, so I figured I’d ask. We currently have a CR-V that’s great, but we are needing more cargo space after having a kid and getting a second lab. We are undecided on new or pre owned, probably depending on what we can get out of the CR-V. Our main criteria is reliability and cargo space, but not wanting the full size Tahoe/suburban class. What are your thoughts? I’ve been looking at highlanders, Chevy traverse (v6 and the new turbo 4 cylinder, curious on longevity of either?), used Audi q7 (unsure of increased maintenance cost) and Honda pilot. Open to other options and hoping to hear some first hand experiences. Thanks!

I’ve put over 110,000 miles each on 3 Traverse/Enclaves V-6’s over the past 6-7 years and have another coming this month fingers crossed. They have been stellar; never even had to replace brake pads. Towing mileage goes way down, that’s the only negative I can thing of. Plenty of cargo room.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
My wife had an 2006 Highlander Limited that she drove to 235k miles (sold to my niece who is still driving it) and we now have a 2018 Limited. The car is boringly reliable and, in my opinion, the clear leader in the midsized “family” category. I also hear really great things about the Subaru Ascent, Palisade, and Telluride as well.

Having said that we will likely swap it for a full sized “something” sooner rather than later. I don’t think I appreciated how much room a couple kids and cargo takes up. One more kiddo and we will really be tight.

If you actually want to use the 3rd row of seats i would recommend expedition or suburban. They are useless in anything smaller.

Currently own a 2021 Suburban Z71 (original owner) About 80k miles. Ive had to replace the main belt already and I think I had a seat belt recall. No other real issues.

OP
beerbucksducks
Tell me this, has anyone sold their half ton pick up and bought a suburban? I don’t commute for work, so my pickup sits until I need it for hunting, fishing or kid hauling. My wife commutes for work, so my current thought is trade the pick up for suburban/expedition max and keep the CRV as a commuter/everyday car. Bad idea for our dedicated hunting vehicle to be a large suv that doubles as our road trip machine?

Bad idea for our dedicated hunting vehicle to be a large suv that doubles as our road trip machine?
You can make it work, but it sure is nice to have open-air storage space than can be hosed down for packing bloody animals, muddy gear, coolers full of dry ice, fuel cans, etc. A hitch-mounted cargo basket could give you a little such space if you do go the SUV route.

OP
beerbucksducks
You can make it work, but it sure is nice to have open-air storage space than can be hosed down for packing bloody animals, muddy gear, coolers full of dry ice, fuel cans, etc. A hitch-mounted cargo basket could give you a little such space if you do go the SUV route.

Good call. I have a 5x10 trailer for our little sxs, so that is an option also, depending on the hunt/situation.

satchamo

WKR
We bought a traverse new in 2022 and have 3 kids in it and have made multiple treks to FL in it. No I’m major issues after 30k miles but just wish it had more damn cup holders! The auto cruise is a game changer in long trips. We have the v6

We have our 4 year old front facing in a car seat in one pilot and our 1 rear facing in the other pilot then my sons in a booster in the backseat and my 6’4” butt can still drive comfortably.

I owed SUVs since 1985 or so until switching to crew cab pickup in 2017.
If the SUV had a 3rd seat it always ended up in the attic or on the garage floor. Some flipped up behind the second row seating but I recall taking them all out. I had Fords and GMs.
PS: After buying this crew cab I wont go back to SUVs. But everyone has their specific needs.

KsRancher

WKR
Tell me this, has anyone sold their half ton pick up and bought a suburban? I don’t commute for work, so my pickup sits until I need it for hunting, fishing or kid hauling. My wife commutes for work, so my current thought is trade the pick up for suburban/expedition max and keep the CRV as a commuter/everyday car. Bad idea for our dedicated hunting vehicle to be a large suv that doubles as our road trip machine?

I would rather hunt out of an SUV than a pickup. I never thought that until I decided to take my son's Jeep liberty on an elk hunt 3yrs ago. I modified an aluminum hitch mount carrier so it would actually hold some wieght. I can get a whole elk in coolers with ice on it.

Keep all my gear inside out of the weather. Sleep inside with the back seats folded down. Planning on taking my wifes Yukon XL to Colorado this year for both my boys first mule deer hunt (if they draw).

Someone hit my wife’s Pilot last year and we needed another 3rd row and went with the Pathfinder. So far 25000 miles no problems. 3rd row large enough for adults or teens. Bigger than the Highlander we looked at. I put AT tires on it and handles great in snow. My wife loves it.

We have a 2019 3rd row 4 runner , the 3rd row is big enough for adults , we rarely use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UncleBone

WKR
Get a lexus gx460 and never look back! Or a gx470 if youre wanting something a little older. All the off road capabilities of a 4runner, with a v8, way nicer interior and a better overall experience. Or if you want something brand new, wait a month or two and buy the brand new gx550 when it drops. However, that is a twin turbo v6, and doesnt yet have the proven reliability of the 4.6 and 4.7 liter v8s. They sure do look awesome though!2024-lexus-gx-107-647f49228c58d.jpg

As someone with 3 large kids and someone who has cycled through a lot of vehicles (Yukon XL, minivan, Honda Pilots, Expedition EL) we are back to a minivan….i know - pride takes a hit but the comfort and mileage (Sienna with hybrid) is amazing - 36 in town and highway…..anyways - my advice is if you need to use the third row - it’s a minivan or full-size SUV…..I would also add - if using the 3rd row often - captains chairs in the 2nd row make a big difference…

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR

We did it. I had a 2012 1500 and she had a traverse. Multiple reasons, Chief of which was multiple cross-country moves in short order. I’ve used the suburban twice on hunts, no problem. My daily commuter is a base model VW that gets 40+ mpg.

Tmac

WKR
Had a Highlander and never made use of the third row; it cuts into storage space too much. Worked fine for two kids and two labs if you have a cargo topper.

When we had our third kid we got a Sienna.
Same experience here, except when we wanted more room we went with a Sequoia. Wife really likes her Highlander, I’d rather have a 4Runner of GX460. All have been solid reliable rigs. Sequoia was so handy to have, we kept it when she got the Highlander and it’s coming up on 300k, kids car now.