4-Day Backpack Gear List - any advice on cutting weight?

PaulDogs

FNG
This is my list for my 2024 California mule deer hunt.

Would love to get some advice on cutting weight from this gear list. The obvious things I can see cutting are below, but I'd like to avoid it because I think they increase my capabilities:
- Spotting Scope
- Tripod
- Power Bank
- Glassing Pad
- Water Bladder

If you see "truck" in the description, that will be brought with and swapped in depending on weather. I've never had it rain on me on a California hunt, but if the forecast called for it, I would pack appropriate rain gear.

OP
P

PaulDogs

FNG
Thanks for the advice! Stormfront pants and jacket aren't added to the total weight. Just have them on the list because I'll have them in the truck.

roadhntr

FNG
As for spotting scopes. I have a 22-48x65mm for day trip scouting and I carry sub compact 15-30x50mm for pack trips. That saves a couple lbs.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your tripod/head/spotter are on the heavy side- could shave weight there, but it won't be overly cheap :)

Wind layer is heavy at 20 oz.

For a four day trip you could easily use a 10K charger, cutting that weight in half.

IMHO you don't 20 rds of ammunition- 10 should suffice

Maverick1

WKR

Would love to get some advice on cutting weight from this gear list. The obvious things I can see cutting are below, but I'd like to avoid it because I think they increase my capabilities:
- Spotting Scope
- Tripod
- Power Bank
- Glassing Pad
- Water Bladder

If you see "truck" in the description, that will be brought with and swapped in depending on weather. I've never had it rain on me on a California hunt, but if the forecast called for it, I would pack appropriate rain gear.
You have bic lighter listed three times.

Not sure when you are hunting or expected temperatures, but there are gloves and mittens. Are both needed?

Not everyone uses a spotting scope. Depends on what you are hunting and how you plan to hunt. IME a spotting scope isn’t necessary.

You have four days of food listed at 2 pounds. Is that actual or optimistic? Seems like it might be a bit light, unless you are operating on fewer calories or most are coming from dehydrated sources.

OP
P

PaulDogs

FNG
Here's a helpful link - 27lbs for 7 days

This is a good reference, but I think my list very comparable if I used a non-hunting backpack and no hunt gear.

Just did the quick math: after cutting out all of my hunting specific gear, I'm at 14.8 lbs w/o food, fuel, water, or backpack. This list is at 12.9 lbs w/o food, fuel, water, or backpack.

Those 1.9 pounds of weight savings that it has on me largely come from three things:
- Lighter sleep pad (13 oz lighter)
- a 25 degree bag (10 oz lighter)
- no trekking poles (19.38 oz lighter)

He does have proper rain gear, which I'm leaving behind, but I could sub a rain jacket and pants in for the same weight as my windshell.

OP
P

PaulDogs

FNG
You have bic lighter listed three times.

Not sure when you are hunting or expected temperatures, but there are gloves and mittens. Are both needed?

Not everyone uses a spotting scope. Depends on what you are hunting and how you plan to hunt. IME a spotting scope isn’t necessary.

You have four days of food listed at 2 pounds. Is that actual or optimistic? Seems like it might be a bit light, unless you are operating on fewer calories or most are coming from dehydrated sources.
Thanks for going through the list!

You're right, I could leave one lighter behind. I usually just put three on my packing list in case I forget one. Then I still have 2.

The gloves aren't very warm and I find having even slightly cold hands really hinders my glassing sessions.

That's good advice. Spotting scope is near the top of my "leave behind" list. It might not make it in the pack.

As @mtwarden said, 2 pounds per day. 8 pounds total.

OP
P

PaulDogs

FNG
Other than what's already been noted - Is that Osprey bladder really 11oz? If you're drinking out of it I'd swap that for one of Platy options that are around 4oz. Even the Big Zip is around 6oz. Or if you're using it for storage the Platy 2L Bottle https://www.platy.com/bottles/platy-2.0l-bottle/07601.html
I haven't actually weighed it, but it's the weight I found on the REI website.

When I get a chance to weigh it, I'll see if it actually weighs that much more than the new models.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the tips!

I agree it's heavy. It might not make it on the trip.

Any that you recommend?

I have two 10k Ankers that have served me well. You might even get by with a ~5000 mah for four days

I think a wind layer is worth taking, just cut the weight in half or so.

bpurtz

WKR
I would leave the extra magazine and extra cr123 batteries in the truck...

I used to carry a space blanket, but not anymore...

ljalberta

WKR
I would do the following for such a short trip:

1 bic only.
No spare mag.
Put new batteries in everything at the start and bring no spare batteries.
No space blanket.
10 rounds of ammo.
Smaller/lighter battery pack.
Is the sharpie for the tag? Ditch otherwise.
No bladder or hydro sleeve. Swap out with 2L platypus soft bottles and bring 1-3 depending on water requirements.
Tripod/Head can be lightened, but no problem if you’re not looking to spend.
Microfiber clothe can be nice to wipe tent condensation. I use a small slice of foam though at 0.1 oz. Not needed for cleaning the cooking kit. Use grass/leaves etc if needed.
No wind layer. Just put the rain gear on.
Are 2 sets of gloves/mitts needed for this hunt? If not, just bring one.
Rain pants I would look at the weather forecast before leaving and decide.
Bring 1 pair of spare socks.

I think as you do more trips you’ll get your system dialed in and figure out what you like to carry and what you don’t like to carry.

taskswap

WKR

I had a similar list a few years ago and here's what I cut:

1. One trekking pole. I still carry one but I realized I almost always just used one, to keep one hand free, and that saved a pound.

2. This is very opinionated but I ditch my rangefinder half the time. I'm really only good to about 300yds as a shooter. I have my rifle zero'd at 150yds so from 100-200 I don't even have to adjust. If the shot seems very far I just hold over (two ticks on my scope). The difference between 240 and 260yds isn't going to make much impact for me in the end.

3. I carry less ammo. 5 in the rifle (4+1) and one extra mag already loaded. It's only a round or two less than you but I "stopped packing my fears" - I have NEVER shot more than 3 rounds, so I decided that twice that was plenty of backup. Ammo is heavy.

4. Looks like you have 3 bic lighters. Ounces turn to pounds - maybe just carry two? I only carry one now. My "backup ignition" option is now a "Spark Lite" with a few Tinder Quik stubs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXQD91O0). I don't carry the whole kit, just the sparker and 3 tinder pieces. They're half the weight of a lighter, work great, and never run out of fuel. If I use up the tinder (never have) I can go bushcraft and shave it out of pine stubs.

5. That power bank is huge! Don't ditch it - just carry a smaller one. They're almost linear in weight vs. capacity so a 10,000mAh pack will cut its weight in half and if you're careful with your energy usage (phone in airplane mode is a big one) you can get several days out of that even actively hunting. I've actually switched down to a 5,000mAh pack with a built-in connector, saving another ounce of cable weight.

6. The Steripen is nice but for my trips I prefer a Katadyn Befree. It's about an ounce lighter and works in both gravity and "drink from bag" mode which I like because I can use it on the move. I rarely camp near water because that's where the elk go sunrise and sunset. This way any stream I cross I can scoop up a liter, then walk another mile to where I plan to camp and filter it there. I also carry two 1gal ziploc bags. They're great for packing out trash (especially after cleaning an elk) and I can also use them to grab another gallon of water to filter at camp later. And MUCh lighter than the Osprey bladders although you do have to be careful with them.

7. YMMV but I ditched my hydration system. I've worked hard to get more in shape for mountain hunting but at altitude I still need to catch my breath sometimes. I can't be sucking on a mouthpiece while I do that, so I realized I wasn't using it very much. I just carry two 1L SmartWater bottles in my pack's side pockets and I drink from those, which is almost as fast and much easier for me. I can also wash my hands or rinse a cut or whatever, which is hard to do with a bladder. So that weight (including tube and mouthpiece) is gone for me. Plus this way I can filter water directly into my drinking bottles.

One thing I added in terms of weight that saved other things was a 1L titanium Bot Pot. It's a cook pot but with a silicone sealing ring and threaded lid. I can filter water in here for dinner at night, make tea, then go to bed using it as a hot water bottle in my sleeping bag, then heat the remainder for breakfast when I get up, then if I have any water left over that won't fit my drinking bottles I can store it in here without it leaking in my pack the next day. I do this mostly when the days are warmer and I'm drinking more, or i'm in more dry areas, but it works great and it's similar in weight to the Toaks cook pot. (I ditched my Nalgene this way.)

8. If you have the budget, the Tricer LP and BC tripod system might save you some weight for your spotter.

9. Ditch the dry bag and use a trash bag. If you want to avoid deodorizer scents, get "compost" bags, they have no chemicals. I carry these anyway for field dressing as pack liners, and they work great. I store my sleeping bag in one and my cold weather gear in another.

10. YMMV but while you're saving weight, I would personally carry an extra pair of socks. Man, wet feet SUCK to hike in, and it's really bad for your feet. I have this on my list under "emergency gear". If your boots get soaked, in a pinch you can use trash bags as liners, you just have to walk slower.

11. Again if you have the budget, there are dyneema UL tents that would cut your tent weight in half. Zpacks even makes a combo "dry bag / pillow" that you can pack a sleeping bag or quilt into, then stuff with your jacket to us as a pillow at night (one side is lined with felt). Personally I prefer an air pillow but it could save 2oz.

12. Zpacks also sells a combo ground sheet / poncho at <6oz. I've used it and it does work great, and saves some weight. But here in Colorado it makes sense because it doesn't rain that much in the seasons I hunt - if you had to use it daily (e.g. Oregon) I personally think it isn't that great as an actual poncho.

13. If you carry Aquatabs or other pill-form items, ditch the bottles. Buy "pill bags" - they're tiny ziplocs that weigh almost nothing and pack small too. I repack all my meds in these and mark the bags with a Sharpie for what they have.

14. You have several ways to get water. If you're hunting an area with a lot of it, don't pack water in. Water weighs 8.4lb/gallon - it's almost always the heaviest thing you carry, and it's easy to see 1L as not that much but that's still 2.2lb - 35oz! One liter of water weighs more than your bino's! If I'm hunting an area with known water, especially in colder seasons when I'm drinking less (and there might be snow to melt at camp later) I'll chug as much as I can stand at the truck before setting out (at least 0.5L), wait 10 mins, chug some more (it's amazing how well this works), then only carry 0.5L with me. I force myself to drink at EVERY stream whether I'm thirsty or not and this way I often find I still have water left at the end of the day even though I wasn't carrying much.