45 vs 50 opinions needed

Baddog

WKR
I searched through other posts but didn’t see what I was after. Just getting into the muzzleloader deal. Have a 50 cal knight mountaineer but think I want something else. It seems the .45 cal is flatter and maybe more accurate? Looking for a antelope and deer gun and needs to be nw legal but would like to be able to use a scope and maybe switch some parts out to make it little better If I used it in another state or during regular rifle, not sure if that’s an option. Price isn’t really a big concern as I tend to keep my stuff a long time and would rather cry once type of thing... interested to hear opinions! Thanks!

Brendan

WKR
First things first check the states you'll be hunting and make sure .45 is legal in all of them. Colorado (for example) requires .50 for elk, open sights, no sabots.

I'm leaning towards keeping a .50 set up where I can run open sights or peep, and then building a .45 smokeless setup, nice scope for everywhere it's legal. Wouldn't need the range of the smokeless when I'm not using a scope anyways.

I currently have a knight ultralite which I like, easy to carry, although it's a little finicky with primers and the breech plug. Need to revisit my setup in the offseason and either get a custom breech plug or somehow fix the issues I'm having. Had no problem shooting my buck at ~175 yds this year using a full load of Blackhorn 209, but am scoped.

I really think Brendan covered what might be said very well. The popularity of the 45 with the newer faster twist barrels is really on the rise.

But, here in the Pacific Northwest during ML season we can not use a 45 for hunting elk.

I have a .45 built from Arrowhead components. Very accurate, way mine is setup it's not NW legal. I'm pretty certain he can set one up that is. I really enjoyed working with Luke, he is also a site sponsor now.

Spoonman

WKR
I really think Brendan covered what might be said very well. The popularity of the 45 with the newer faster twist barrels is really on the rise.

But, here in the Pacific Northwest during ML season we can not use a 45 for hunting elk.
Not sure where In the PNW you are talking about but in Washington you absolutely can use a .45 muzzleloader.

Not sure where In the PNW you are talking about but in Washington you absolutely can use a .45 muzzleloader.

You know what I really stated that wrong... I should have said we can not use a 45 for elk hunting. We can use a 45 for deer.

Are you indicating that a 45 can be used for elk in Washington?

Idaho and Oregon remain 50 cal. minimum.