$500 scopes...

rokbottom

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this post back up versus starting another since $500 is my soft upper limit.

I’m on the fence between the Sightron STac 4-20 vs Strike Eagle 4-24 mainly due to the great sales (CameraLand/Europtic). I do have access to some pro deals, but honestly they aren’t much better than good sales and usually a good used deal beats pro deals. Athlon Midas TAC vs Veracity are my pro deal choices, kinda heavy though.

My question - are there any used scopes that tend to pop up in the $500 range that are considerably better options and worth trying to be patient for?
I'd take a look at the Burris XTRs on MidwayUSA. They have several models, including the G2B reticle, that are discounted to 499 (I think the 3-15 and 2-10).

It's tempting, and I might consider it more strongly but on Midway I am looking more closely at the Viper HSLR. Mostly because I'm cheap, but the 10 oz as well. I'm not much of a weight weenie, but I don't need a 34mm tube/30+ oz scope.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'd take a look at the Burris XTRs on MidwayUSA. They have several models, including the G2B reticle, that are discounted to 499 (I think the 3-15 and 2-10).

Dang it. That 4-20 Mil Dot version for $599 was too much to resist for my 204 Ruger! The 3-15 at $499 is a steal!

huckfin

FNG
I strongly suggest burris. The fullfield 2 with E1 BDC, just plug your numbers into strelok and you have firing solutions out to 500(depending on caliber, ect.) For under $250. Burris is the most overlooked scope on the market.

SWFA all day long…6x, 3-15x, 3-9x
I hate to say it but unless swfa gets their supply issues straightened out, there is little reason to recommend them. I've had some success with grabbing them off samplelist. A couple 6x's (recently), 10x's, and a 3-9 (well over a year ago). But what if I want a new 3-9 instead of a demo-c with a crappy paint job? Even worse, what if I break my 3-9? How long would it take to get a replacement?

Swfa has no idea when they'll get more 3-9s. That's what they told me when I inquired about my backorder. Apparently this has been an ongoing issue for a couple years now.

Honestly, I'm thinking about cancelling my order and buying a Trijicon or Burris xtr instead. At least if something happens to them I can get it repaired or replaced in a reasonable amount of time.

That's just my thoughts though.

BjornF16

WKR
I hate to say it but unless swfa gets their supply issues straightened out, there is little reason to recommend them. I've had some success with grabbing them off samplelist. A couple 6x's (recently), 10x's, and a 3-9 (well over a year ago).
I’ve picked up 6x and 3-15x used…they are around. 3-9x seem to be unicorns

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this post back up versus starting another since $500 is my soft upper limit.

I’m on the fence between the Sightron STac 4-20 vs Strike Eagle 4-24 mainly due to the great sales (CameraLand/Europtic). I do have access to some pro deals, but honestly they aren’t much better than good sales and usually a good used deal beats pro deals. Athlon Midas TAC vs Veracity are my pro deal choices, kinda heavy though.

My question - are there any used scopes that tend to pop up in the $500 range that are considerably better options and worth trying to be patient for?
100% Sightron, they are an anti China company (Japanese owed but also have scopes made in the Philippines). Can’t say the same for the latter.

Had an opportunity to get a greatly priced 3-15 SWFA (B) on SampleList and tried to submit a trade in with some binos I'm wanting to move. Should have just bought it, kicking myself over that one.

Now I'm adding to the mix a couple different Viper options: PST on Europtic for $449 (probably gen1) but it is 6-24 which is not ideal for my use. The Viper on Midway is HSLR 4-16 ($329).

Had an opportunity to get a greatly priced 3-15 SWFA (B) on SampleList and tried to submit a trade in with some binos I'm wanting to move. Should have just bought it, kicking myself over that one.

Now I'm adding to the mix a couple different Viper options: PST on Europtic for $449 (probably gen1) but it is 6-24 which is not ideal for my use. The Viper on Midway is HSLR 4-16 ($329).
I currently have an HSLR on my 7mm hunting rifle. I haven't shot it much in the last year and a half because of the ammo shortage so I can't tell you how durable the scope is. Its zeroed at 100 yds and I dial for ranges between that and 360 yds, which is the limit for my property.

So far it has tracked well. I've only dialed about 120 shots though. I haven't dropped it but it's been knocked over the bipod twice on hard ground and jostled on logging trails. I've hiked about 25 miles with it slung over my back. So far it has held its zero.

The reticle is thick, which helps with low light visibility, but I wouldn't want it for precision shooting. The wind holds are nice and I've used them a few times for smacking an 8" steel plate in my backyard.

For hunting or shooting steel, I think the HSLR is a decent option at $329. Durability is my only concern. I plan on replacing it with a swfa 3-9 or Trijicon Accupoint soon. When I do, the HSLR will probably go on my 6.5 grendel.

Definitely consider the recommendations other people have given though. The swfa's, burris, and sightron are better scopes overall. It may be worthwhile to spend an extra $100-200, depending on your usage.

Good luck on your search!