6.5 CM For New Hunter

I would buy a Tikka In a configuration that fits him ok. When he grows out of it in 4 or 5 years then sell it buy him another rifle fits him. 6.5 is a good choice.

AZsniper

WKR
My last elk went one step at 555 yards with a 147 eldm from a needsmoor. I'd feel confident on the bullets capabilities at much further than that. I'll be stepping down to a 108eldm from a 243 this year. I'd go 223 but state won't allow it. Creedmoor is not an 8yo starter rifle to help them form good fundamentals.
I am going to disagree with you. Shooting an elk at 500 yards with a sub magnum caliber isn’t hunting, it’s irresponsible. Too many risks to the animal and inhumane injuries. IMO if you can’t get closer than 500 yards to an elk you aren’t very good at hunting. My opinions are free and worth every penny.

I am going to disagree with you. Shooting an elk at 500 yards with a sub magnum caliber isn’t hunting, it’s irresponsible. Too many risks to the animal and inhumane injuries. IMO if you can’t get closer than 500 yards to an elk you aren’t very good at hunting. My opinions are free and worth every penny.

Based on ability to hit the target or the terminal damage when it does? I'd agree on the ability to hit portion for most hunters and strongly disagree on the terminal damage portion.

I think Eric lays things out well in this thread https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/kids-rifle-manifesto.348812/

That said, I wont pretend to have more experience than @Jbuck in this arena. That is some impressive shooting by those kids, good job dad. In regards to some of the PRS shift back to 257s and 6.5s, it seems like some of that is because dudes are using 24# guns and aggressive brakes. Just me guessing here but it seems like shooters/guns have gotten so good with the ultra accurate/consistent small 6s that the next step is to find a way to shoot the heavier recoilers better and get fewer wind misses with the higher BC bullets.

Last edited:

AZsniper

WKR
Based on ability to hit the target or the terminal damage when it does. I'd agree on the ability to hit portion for most hunters and strongly disagree on the terminal damage portion.

I think Eric lays things out well in this thread https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/kids-rifle-manifesto.348812/

That said, I wont pretend to have more experience than @Jbuck in this arena. That is some impressive shooting by those kids, good job dad. In regards to some of the PRS shift back to 257s and 6.5s, it seems like some of that is because dudes are using 24# guns and aggressive brakes. Just me guessing here but it seems like shooters/guns have gotten so good with the ultra accurate/consistent small 6s that the next step is to find a way to shoot the heavier recoilers better and get fewer wind misses with the higher BC bullets.
Well said Gypsy. I respect all Roksliders and the opinions I share are free………