6.5 PRC Needs

utahkid39

FNG
So i bought a tikka tx3 last year in 6.5 PRC, i love the gun and it shoots awesome with factory 143 grain hornadys. Im looking to start reloading because i want to shoot the heavier 156 grain berger. It seems like a lot of people have good luck with the N565 powder. What brass should i try to buy for reloading, also what primers. I know things are very hard to find right now but i would like to know what stuff i should keep my eye out for.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
My current load is hornady brass RL26, federal 210m Primers, and berger 156, of the components the only thing i have seen in the last 2 years are 156 bergers, but you can use your once fired brass. right now primers are going to be the hardest to find.

OP
utahkid39

utahkid39

FNG
My current load is hornady brass RL26, federal 210m Primers, and berger 156, of the components the only thing i have seen in the last 2 years are 156 bergers, but you can use your once fired brass. right now primers are going to be the hardest to find.
awesome thank you! I do have a few boxes of once fired brass and ill keep my eye out for more. Just want to work up a good hunting load

elkguide

WKR
I've been using Hornady brass with either the Hornady 147 ELDms or the Berger 156 EOLs with Federal 210 primers and US869 powder. My rifle shot those same two bullets very accurately with H4831SC but a lot more velocity was had with the US869.

I wish that I could shoot as well as my gun shoots as I have plenty of targets with 2 in the same hole and the last shot stretching my groups out to .375" (3/8") or less. Love the 6.5PRC.

OP
utahkid39

utahkid39

FNG
I've been using Hornady brass with either the Hornady 147 ELDms or the Berger 156 EOLs with Federal 210 primers and US869 powder. My rifle shot those same two bullets very accurately with H4831SC but a lot more velocity was had with the US869.

I wish that I could shoot as well as my gun shoots as I have plenty of targets with 2 in the same hole and the last shot stretching my groups out to .375" (3/8") or less. Love the 6.5PRC.
That's awesome, I'm a very novice shooter as far as long range goes. But was hitting targets at just under 1000 yards with the PRC with factory ammo and a ballistics app on my phone. As far as reloading goes I am this will be my first time trying it. I need to get some more equipment and get to it. Luckily for me my Uncle is very knowledgeable in it and im sure if i have the supplies he would let me come over and use his equipment

SDHNTR

WKR
If 143's shoot well, I sure wouldn't mess with it! The difference is meaningless in the real world. The reality is the foray into reloading will cost you several hundred dollars at least, a TON of time, and a deep dive down a rabbit hole. All for an immaterial "upgrade" in bullet performance.

OP
utahkid39

utahkid39

FNG
If 143's shoot well, I sure wouldn't mess with it! The difference is meaningless in the real world. The reality is the foray into reloading will cost you several hundred dollars at least, a TON of time, and a deep dive down a rabbit hole. All for an immaterial "upgrade" in bullet performance.
Fair point, I do like the idea of the heavier bullet for elk tho. I have a few other rifles I would like to reload for as well. so buying the equipment wouldnt be a waste for me. Will the 156 be that much better compared to the Hornady 143? Probably not but maybe its just a mental thing

WRO

WKR
Fair point, I do like the idea of the heavier bullet for elk tho. I have a few other rifles I would like to reload for as well. so buying the equipment wouldnt be a waste for me. Will the 156 be that much better compared to the Hornady 143? Probably not but maybe its just a mental thing

It isn't going to make a lick of difference real world..

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I sorted hornady brass and loaded N565, win mag primers with the 156 eol. I neck turned and found my sd's dropped.

I also loaded H1000 with 153.5's slightly compressed provided a good combo.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Chanimal

FNG

How are your velocities with 869? Are you shooting a compressed load?

elkguide

WKR
Since the snow is just leaving, (had to shovel to clear my bench a couple of days ago) I haven't taken a chronograph out with me. I am filled almost to the neck of the case with 869.

8 twist. We haven’t had any problems stabilizing the 156’s but if I did it over I’d go 7.5. We were originally running the 147 eldm and 8 worked great. I live at 500’ and Berger says it’s marginally stable at like 1.46 or .48. We usually shoot/hunt higher so it’s worked out with no problems.

I've been testing my 8 twist Bergara with 156 EOL. I went out Sat to do my last OCW test and found nodes in 3 places and settled on high side with H1000. I am running super, super consistent at 3046-3050 with Lapua brass. Previously I ran Hornady brass and 143's and had a great node at 58.2. I am not a speed guy, but do want a set number for KE down range at my MER. The programs calculate this set up at 1147 ft-lb at 1000 yards. I think I have what I am after, and loaded 30 rounds last night. Will go out soon and group tune this thing. I will add, with the lighter bullets I was using before had a barrel tuner/muzzle brake, but now have it supressed. My L/R didn't change but my vertical dropped 2".

Lapua Brass
Fed 210 MG
Berger 156 EOL jumping a mile and a half due to Mag limits and high BC bullet.
H1000

Attachments

• bergara.jpg
    bergara.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
utahkid39

utahkid39

FNG
Jumping back on this thread for a second. I did end up finding Berger 156 EOL bullets, Lapua brass, N565 powder and Remington primers. With this tikka does anyone have a seating depth or an overall bullet length that would be a good starting point? I’ve heard the bergers can be picky and I’m still very new to this reloading

Harvey_NW

WKR
Jumping back on this thread for a second. I did end up finding Berger 156 EOL bullets, Lapua brass, N565 powder and Remington primers. With this tikka does anyone have a seating depth or an overall bullet length that would be a good starting point? I’ve heard the bergers can be picky and I’m still very new to this reloading
Multiple ways to skin this cat. In my experience barrels either like Bergers across the board and really like them in tune, or they only like them in one or 2 spots. Lots of people will say that's not a bullet you need to shoot, but in times of limited components you gotta do what you can. Whichever method you choose just advising that you may need to test a wide window of jump to find where it likes to be, and you'll need a comparator body with bullet inserts to measure Cartridge Base To Ogive properly. Cartridge Overall Length is typically insufficient due to varying lengths and profiles.