6.5 PRC Scope Recommendations

I’m trying to decide what scope to put on a 6.5 PRC GA Precision rifle I’m having built. It will used for Antelope, Whitetail, and Mule Deer with max shots at 500yds, maybe 600 at the most. Most shots between 100-300 yds I would guess.
I don’t trust turrets on most scopes unless they are Nightforce or similarly built like a Leupold Mark series etc…
Im thinking a simple Christmas tree reticle might be good for this rifle.
Or maybe a NF NXS 2.5-10x42.
Also looking at the Swaro 3.5-18x44 BRH
Swaro 4-12x50 BRH
Swaro 2.5-15x44 BRH
Zeiss 4-16x44 ZBi #68

The rifle will have the Manners EH3 stock so not a real high comb, so I’d like to keep the scope mounted pretty low on the rifle and not a 2lb scope either.
Any suggestions with those scopes or recommendations of other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Whatever you buy, I recommend getting something with enough magnification to take advantage of the rifle. 15 minimum imo. I think 18+ is the way to go on these rifles.

mcdil

FNG
Hard to argue with swavescatter on this one. You mention the Leupold Mark V, but I would challenge that "n" equals a high enough number to say that its tracking and zero do not compare to Nightforce or some of the others built with similar construction techniques (i.e. Trijicon).

Secondly, I'd ask yourself what you really need on the bottom end of the magnification range. What's truly practical for the hunting you'll be doing? It's a 6.5 PRC, not a dangerous game setup, so life saving low magnification is relatively irrelevant. Only you can answer this, but others have mentioned going higher on the mag. In order for you to be able to do that, I'd start at what is truly needed at the bottom? That will help dictate that for you. For a rifle like yours, if it were mine with the purpose you have, 2.5x is below my needs. I would say 4x gives up nothing, most likely. If that's the case for you, your upper end mag options are quite extensive, and even though you don't plan on super long range with it, it's still nice to have and not need.

Best of luck choosing!

mcdil

FNG
Lastly, almost forgot, or should I say I guess I did forget. I used to pay a lot more attention to scope weight as well. Then I realized, what's the point if it can't be trusted upon to do the job at the moment of truth. While I'm not super crazy about the 35-40oz weight of the 34mm tubes with 56mm objectives on hunting rigs, I COULD deal with it if the setup felt balanced overall. However, there are very solid 30mm tube offerings in the 28-32oz range that balance well and get it done, even if they give up a little overall visual quality in various aspects to the bigger scopes. Nightforce covers all those ranges well from the NXS, NX8, and the ATACR. How much do you want to throw down for the scope and consequently carry, weight-wise, through the woods.

OP
S
Thanks for the suggestions, I wish the NF NXS was offered in a 4-16x42.
I guess I could look at the 4-16x42 ATACR but it’s $1,000 more and 10oz heavier.

Scottf270

WKR
I'm in the same boat as you. Just picked up a lefty Browning Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 PRC. I'm a hunter with exactly the same needs as yours. I'm looking hard at the Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42. It's listed several places for under $900.00. Weight is 22 oz.

WRO

WKR
I run a z5 with no complaints, but I know what it’s capabilities and limitations are. It’s probably the easiest scope to get behind.

mcseal2

WKR
I'd decide on reticle or dialing first off, buy the scope after.

If I was not dialing I'd go with a Swaro Z3 or Z5 just depending on what you want to spend. I'd lean toward the 3.5-18x Z5 I think. I have a couple buddies that dial them with no issues, but I had one for a while and ended up not trusting it. I didn't always seem to get perfect return to zero, and after a real hard bump once it was off 10". To be fair it got dialed a lot more than theirs did.

I had a couple Leupold VX-6 scopes around the same time that had to go back for warranty after a lot of dialing. Both came back with "erector system replaced" on the paperwork.

If I'm buying a scope to dial, I want one built around dialing elevation. Nightforce, SWFA, and Huskemaw are the brands I personally trust. I have not owned a Nighforce, but had a SWFA 3-15x. I currently own 6 Huskemaw scopes. Others are probably as good, I just don't have experience with them.

The Huskemaw glass is not as good as the Z5 Swaro, but its never been enough to make a difference in the field. When we compared my buddy's Z5 to my Huskemaw 3-12x on 12 power as the sun went down, we both agreed we could not make a shot with one we couldn't with the other. I like covered turrets which the Huskemaw had. I leave my scopes set for 200 yards and have to remove the elevation cap to change them. I personally like that, I don't have to check it to make sure it didn't get bumped. If I'm taking a shot long enough I need to dial, I have always had time to unscrew the cap and dial. I like the MOA wind marks as well, that's the system I've run for years and am used to. Their weight isn't bad for a scope of this type either.

My 264 win mag I have a 5-20x Huskemaw on. That rifle primarily gets used for whitetail, occasionally for antelope and low country muleys. If I can safely judge a buck with my 15x56 Swaro or Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B binos I can shoot it with that scope. The 300 win mag I've taken on most western and all my Alaskan hunts has a 4-16x Huskemaw. It's slightly behind the 50mm in low light, but not bad. My old 3-12x I just put on a Hells Canyon Speed in 270 win I bought for muleys. I'm hoping to see a big one through it next month!

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I went through the same decision last spring with my 6.5prc. I primarily hunt thick country mule deer with places that will occasionally offer a 600 yard shot. I really looked for something that had a good magnification range. With the type of country I like to hunt dialing isn’t a very good option, not to mention the issues that turrets can cause. I’ve always been a holdover guy.

I ended up going with a Maven 2.5x15x44 with the MOA-2 reticle. It’s been a great scope so far. Once you have your load figured out the hash’s have been spot on. You can always have a custom turret cut for it, should you ever want to go that route. The only downside right now is it’s a little heavier than what you’re after.

For reference, I killed a buck last year in the cover at 45 yards on 3X.

The 6.5 prc with a great low to high magnification range scope with holdover reticle is an incredibly versatile rifle for moments when you don’t get to dial.

I have a 6.5prc in the exact same stock as you. I went with a Huskemaw 4-16x42. I love it. extremely reliable tracking for dialing, good holdover hash marks, good custom turret system, low profile, lightweight in class, excellent glass, reasonable price. Fits everything you’re looking for.

I regularly shoot steel beyond 1,000, and am comfortable on game to 500 in good conditions. It’s been far more capable than I am so far.