6.5 SAUM or 6UM

khuber84

WKR
I have a 65 and 6 saum, don't feel a lot of recoil difference in 65saum shooting 156s at 3030 and a 6saum shooting 115s at 3300-3350 from prone position with muzzle brakes, 65 would likely have a lil more push suppressed. The 65 has a lil slower pulse, and the 6 is a quick pop and it's gone but both seem to move the reticle equal amounts. Windage is same hold between the two loads. If I had to pick one cartridge for everything in N America, a 65 Saum with 156eol or 147eldm is hard to beat. Wifh the 156s, I've shot deer/Antelope inside 100y with Mv of 3100, cow Elk at 830y, a deer at 920y, and all them have performed very well, I just always inspect the tips and ensure they're open down to lead with a 0.060 wire drill bit.

hdc77

FNG
Classified Approved
Did some more research and I think all I need is their normal (lot long) sized action and the barrel will be replaced regardless with a 6mm so I don’t think I’d have to get a 6.5 prc chambered tikka unless I am missing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should be good with any Tikka action with a magnum bolt face.

hdc77

FNG
Classified Approved
As khuber84 said, 6.5 SAUM is amazing, I run mine with 156s at 3000 fps with Retumbo out of a 22-inch barrel. i can go hotter but it shoots so well that I don't see the need.

OP
T
I have a 65 and 6 saum, don't feel a lot of recoil difference in 65saum shooting 156s at 3030 and a 6saum shooting 115s at 3300-3350 from prone position with muzzle brakes, 65 would likely have a lil more push suppressed. The 65 has a lil slower pulse, and the 6 is a quick pop and it's gone but both seem to move the reticle equal amounts. Windage is same hold between the two loads. If I had to pick one cartridge for everything in N America, a 65 Saum with 156eol or 147eldm is hard to beat. Wifh the 156s, I've shot deer/Antelope inside 100y with Mv of 3100, cow Elk at 830y, a deer at 920y, and all them have performed very well, I just always inspect the tips and ensure they're open down to lead with a 0.060 wire drill bit.

Your findings on recoil has me thinking hard on the 6.5 SAUM now. The 156 leaving at 3000 is pretty impressive on windage

khuber84

WKR
Your findings on recoil has me thinking hard on the 6.5 SAUM now. The 156 leaving at 3000 is pretty impressive on windage

It's the same wind as a nose ring 115 at 3300, also the same as the new 133/135gr 25 cals at 3150. The quarter bore is possibly the goldilocks of the 3. I had a 25 saum back when the 131blackjack first came about. It didn't last long eating a steady diet of 131 aces at 3300-3320 with rl26. Dont think it made 1k rounds, however I ran it hard hot and fast, treated it like a varmint rifle in prairie dog towns. I am currently having a 24" 7.5tw 25prc spun for my bat bumblebee, and want to run 3100 with the high bc stuff. It's all splitting hairs, but I like to have experience with these cartridges and contribute if I'm going to get into conversations about them.

hdc77

FNG
Classified Approved

Best part, you can get ADG brass, pretty much ready to load. And Unknown munitions, as well as other shops, load for it should you don’t want to reload.

khuber84

WKR
Best part, you can get ADG brass, pretty much ready to load. And Unknown munitions, as well as other shops, load for it should you don’t want to reload.
Supposedly the newest production Hornady brass is quite good too, a available from GAP. I just had 200pcs delivered last week. I have another barrel that needs broke in and load dev done, so I'll do that with 50pcs this new stuff and compare it to the adg.

hdc77

FNG
Classified Approved
It's the same wind as a nose ring 115 at 3300, also the same as the new 133/135gr 25 cals at 3150. The quarter bore is possibly the goldilocks of the 3. I had a 25 saum back when the 131blackjack first came about. It didn't last long eating a steady diet of 131 aces at 3300-3320 with rl26. Dont think it made 1k rounds, however I ran it hard hot and fast, treated it like a varmint rifle in prairie dog towns. I am currently having a 24" 7.5tw 25prc spun for my bat bumblebee, and want to run 3100 with the high bc stuff. It's all splitting hairs, but I like to have experience with these cartridges and contribute if I'm going to get into conversations about them.
I have a 25 SST, it’s a laser beam with H1000 and 135 LRHT Bergers, 3100 fps, bad pronghorn medicine

OP
T

I appreciate the info. 25 prc or 25 SAUM has been on my radar but hadn’t heard a lot about it

Do you have any velocity info on shorter (+- 20”) barrels? Ideally trying to stick around 20-22” because the supp is 8” long

khuber84

WKR
I appreciate the info. 25 prc or 25 SAUM has been on my radar but hadn’t heard a lot about it

Do you have any velocity info on shorter (+- 20”) barrels? Ideally trying to stick around 20-22” because the supp is 8” long

Short barrels I don't have first hand experience with, cept a 22" 65 Saum(I'm on my 4th 65saum) I ran 140s at 2950 in that with H1000. My 6 Saum is 24" and I'm almost 2.5gr below bolt lift, so Im sure the 3300 node is still totally doable. 65 Saum, subtract 25fps per " and you'll likely land there. Which means with performance powders, 3000 should still be attainable with 156s. 2950 for sure. The 6um starts taking over in the wind here, but it's only by a tenths difference. Keep in mind, I'm running 200k plus freebore here in these saums on medium actions shooting the 156s, coal over 3.120, so usable powder space is at a maximum

OP
T
Wanted to change gears here a bit, because I’ll likely pick a chambering and then want to switch down the road, I’m considering going the route of prefit tikka barrels and buying the barrel wise, external wrench and likely the internal wrench to be able to torque. Then buy a go gauge and add pieces of paper to the back of the go gauge until the bolt is hard to close (cheap way to do a no go gauge)

I like the wrought iron ace barrels UM sales, any other recommendations for a decently priced steel or carbon barrel that you’ve had good luck doing a prefit before?

khuber84

WKR
Wanted to change gears here a bit, because I’ll likely pick a chambering and then want to switch down the road, I’m considering going the route of prefit tikka barrels and buying the barrel wise, external wrench and likely the internal wrench to be able to torque. Then buy a go gauge and add pieces of paper to the back of the go gauge until the bolt is hard to close (cheap way to do a no go gauge)

I like the wrought iron ace barrels UM sales, any other recommendations for a decently priced steel or carbon barrel that you’ve had good luck doing a prefit before?

Tikkas generally all headspace pretty well, it's timing the barrel markings that is the tough part, why proof and preferred blanks laser marks them in multiple spots. I get a lot of prefits from my smith, but I have a quality depth gauge and give him the dimensions from my recoil lug or action face to the bolt face. I typically send in a Tikka so he can get the timing and measurements down the first time then he ships me new barrels that a timed properly from there forward.

Supposedly the newest production Hornady brass is quite good too, a available from GAP. I just had 200pcs delivered last week. I have another barrel that needs broke in and load dev done, so I'll do that with 50pcs this new stuff and compare it to the adg.
Will be interesting hearing the comparison, having a hell of a time finding adg 6.5 saum

khuber84

WKR
Don’t quote me because I only read it in some other forum, just one person saying that ADG is going to stop making SAUM brass. I hadn’t heard of that…

Highly doubtful. June is their next slotted Saum run. 65 7 and rumor has it, 300.as well.

Will be interesting hearing the comparison, having a hell of a time finding adg 6.5 saum

These guys are gtg, bought fair amount through them.