6.5CM 129gr vs 143gr for Deer

98TJ10

FNG
Self-proclaimed amateur with a Tikka 6.5CM "Rokslide Special" on the way. I've been doing a lot of research on (factory) rounds for whitetail and am unsure if I should be sticking with 129-130 gr rounds or 140-143's. Is the weight spread big enough to impact point of impact out to 300 yards/can I zero with one and use another without an appreciable difference in drop? Thank you in advance.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pick one and shoot it. The difference in ballistic performance is insignificant inside 500 yards.

The type of bullet makes a bigger difference in performance. I would get Hornady 140 ELDm match ammo and if it shoots buy as much of one lot as you can get if you want to shoot long range for fun.

Read the thread on the match bullets or the .223 77 gr TMK to see why ELDm.

I wouldn't disagree that the 143ELD-X is an amazing bullet, but sub 300yards the 129gr American whitetail loads shouldn't be a slouch and is nearly $10 cheaper per 20 if you're trying to stack deep.

But then again if I was hunting sub 300yards I'm using my 223 and it's even cheaper.

Wrench

WKR
For 300yds....buy something you can afford a bunch of and go shoot it. You don't need anything fancy for a deer at 300 yards....what you do need is practice and confidence. That'll come with volumes of shooting.

Splitting hairs up to 300 yds.. Buy a few different brands and determine which groups best. With a Tikka, the right bullet, and good shooting fundamentals off a solid bench rest expect sub-MOA groups. On a good day my Tikka T3x shoots 1/2" MOA. I've heard nothing but good things about the Hornady 143 ELD-X.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Buy as much of one lot of Hornady Precision Hunter as you can afford and hunt everything from rabbits to Moose. Don't waste time futzing with different cartridges.
My only refute to this is in a tikka the factory loads are super slow. May want to limit to deer or less. Handloads different story (difference is nearly 300fps).

Unckebob

WKR
I haven't tried the lighter bullets, but they will probably do the job.

I know the 143 ELDx will do the job ... well. I used it in my 6.5CM (now my daughter's) to get it done every time with no muss or fuss. They gave me pass through's (better for tracking - important for me), but the deer didn't run far.

My only refute to this is in a tikka the factory loads are super slow. May want to limit to deer or less. Handloads different story (difference is nearly 300fps).
My understanding is that terminal ballistics are driven by bullet design and impact velocity, not size of game (for basically all North American game). With 1800 fps as a standard minimum threshold for impact velocity, that still gets him out to nearly 600 yds effective lethal range at sea level, assuming a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps (Tikkas seem to average about this, compared to 2700 for other manufacturers depending on barrel length).

He didn't mention budget in his question, so my assumption is that the OP simply wanted to optimize the capability of his rifle with one factory cartridge. IMO, that would be the Precision Hunter. Within 300 yds, I agree it would not matter so much and if budget is a concern just pick up some cheap boxes from Wal-Mart.

Tahoe1305

WKR
My understanding is that terminal ballistics are driven by bullet design and impact velocity, not size of game (for basically all North American game). With 1800 fps as a standard minimum threshold for impact velocity, that still gets him out to nearly 600 yds effective lethal range at sea level, assuming a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps (Tikkas seem to average about this, compared to 2700 for other manufacturers depending on barrel length).

He didn't mention budget in his question, so my assumption is that the OP simply wanted to optimize the capability of his rifle with one factory cartridge. IMO, that would be the Precision Hunter. Within 300 yds, I agree it would not matter so much and if budget is a concern just pick up some cheap boxes from Wal-Mart.
I agree with most of that.

I personally factor in terminal energy too, especially on something I don’t want to risk losing. 1500ftlbs is general rule of thumb for elk. Occurs at 300 yds with factory ammo.
Again not saying impossible just saying not the best idea, in my experience anyways.