6.5cm 147 Eld-m or 130 TMK

BKM

FNG
I have a new 6.5CM tikka T3 lite in a KRG Bravo. It shoots the 147 eldm and 130 tmk equally well with 1 1/8” 10 shot groups.

My most of my hunting is white tail deer with shots 20-200 yards most in the 80-150 range.

What do you guys think? I’m wanting to settle on one and buy up a barrels worth of brass, powder, and bullets

For mostly sub 200 yards I'd take the lower recoil of the 130s over the higher BC of the 147s. Prepare for substantial damage from either of them at those distances.
As a very color blind person substantial damage is definitely preferable to a long tracking job

Are the 147’s a bit more likely to exit?
I wouldn't expect an exit with either... and I wouldn't NOT expect an exit with either.

The concensus I was reading was that they are pretty inconsistent. If they do pass through, expect a pretty substantial hole. If they don't, expect to see even more jello in the cavity.

Personally if I’m picking a fragmenting bullet I want heavy for caliber. Either one would get the job done for the intended ranges though

I’m hedging towards the 147 if only because it seems like there is a lot more people who have actually shot animals with it vs the TMK

I definitely want a fragmenting bullet, I moved to a fragmented by bullet in my .308 win. and saw a dramatic difference in distance traveled after the

Not a fan of either bullet. Of the two I'd go 147. Save a couple milk jugs and shoot each into them and see what you prefer.

Ranges out to 200 yards? No brainer......130 Accubond.
Believe it or not, in my testing the 130 AB is a pretty tough bullet. Harder than the 127 LRX at mid velocity.

OP should try a 129 SST or BT for what he says he wants in performance.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, in my testing the 130 AB is a pretty tough bullet. Harder than the 127 LRX at mid velocity.

I’ve used both and prefer the sst over the balistic to on game. Both were in a 308win, if I could more or less get similar performance of a 165sst from a 308 I would be happy. Both the 147 and 130 seem to have similar results to what I’ve had with that bullet from what I’ve read.

I tried a 143 eldx (very similar to the sst) but accuracy was not as good as the 130 or 147

Based on my testing on about 150 dead pigs and 40 whitetail does, the 130 AB is a legitimate rock star killer.

I’m hedging towards the 147 if only because it seems like there is a lot more people who have actually shot animals with it vs the TMK
Both will work fine at 200 yards and in. Something to consider is that Hornady seems to do a much better job of keeping bullets in stock, so it might be easier to acquire more 147’s than more 130’s when you need to replenish stock.

I’m shooting the 130 tmk from a 16” tikka. My reasoning is as follows.

140 class bullets are like 2430ish and I’d imagine the 147s are a bit slower so that pushed me toward the 130 class.

130 bergers are supposedly good killers but need to be kept at 2k plus, 130eldm are supposedly a bit softer than avg, 130tmk seems to be that middle ground that has a slightly extended wound channel than the eldm but not as tough as the berger. In theory at least

My 16” pushed a 130tmk around 2600. If I had a full length barrel I’d probably lean towards either the 130 berger or the 147 eldm since the speed would be higher, and those are easier to acquire at any given time it seems than the tmk.

I’ve only shot 1 whitetail with the tmk so far but it performed well, started expanding on the entrance rib and exited.

I’m shooting the 130 tmk from a 16” tikka. My reasoning is as follows.

140 class bullets are like 2430ish and I’d imagine the 147s are a bit slower so that pushed me toward the 130 class.

130 bergers are supposedly good killers but need to be kept at 2k plus, 130eldm are supposedly a bit softer than avg, 130tmk seems to be that middle ground that has a slightly extended wound channel than the eldm but not as tough as the berger. In theory at least

My 16” pushed a 130tmk around 2600. If I had a full length barrel I’d probably lean towards either the 130 berger or the 147 eldm since the speed would be higher, and those are easier to acquire at any given time it seems than the tmk.

I’ve only shot 1 whitetail with the tmk so far but it performed well, started expanding on the entrance rib and exited.
My tikka is 24” so I’m getting some pretty good velocity. I am running a AICS mag with no binder so I’ve got some extra case volume and powder capacity. Just over 2,700 with the 147 with no pressure signs, I have not put the TMK through the chronograph yet.

Back