6.8 Western pet loads?

gerry35

WKR
I'll post a thread with more details, but thought I'd share my hunting success with my 6.8W.

Load Data:
  • Bullet: 175gr Sierra Tipped Game King
  • Primer: Federal LR Magnum
  • Powder: 58gr H4831SC
  • Jump: 0.020" off land
  • MV: ~2835fps (no chrono, just back calculated based on empirical data generated by bullet drop. Saving up for a chrono.)
  • MOA: ~1" groups at 200yds
Last 3 seasons between myself, kids and new-to-hunting friends (all one shot kills):
  • 3 Elk (Cow@40yds, Bull@500yds, Bull@200yds)
  • 4 Pronghorn (Buck@100yds, Doe@350yds, Doe@200yds, Doe@200yds)
  • 5 Mule Deer (Buck@250yds, Doe@400yds, Buck@350yds, Doe@400yds, Buck@200yds)
Been really happy with the 175gr Sierra TGK's.
Pretty impressive results for the last 3 years. Looks like the 175 gr TGK does well on game of all sizes. Shouldn't 1"@ 200 yards be 1/2 MOA?

I should try H4831 sc as well. Going to confirm the 175 gr TGK 61 gr MagPro load next time out but it looks good. Seems like a really easy bullet to get to shoot well.

Maybe we need to start a 6.8 Western success thread. Going out again for mountain goat before my tag runs out at the end of the month. Spring bear is just around the corner as well.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I am running 58 gr rl26 with 175 tgk in one of my 6.8W. Averages 2830 fps. 59 gr was 2900 fps. I went with lighter load as it matches velocity of factory ammo and had a cds dial cut.

Lou

manitou1

WKR
Nothing wrong with that, but not hard to understand that lead being a poisonous material is being banned. Plenty of monos to choose from and pretty dang solid performance unless you're stretching them really long range.
Do you know anybody who has died from eating game shot with lead bullets or shot?

I thought so...

Don't buy into the anti-hunting propaganda.

Nope, but that's not why lead is on the chopping block. If people want to consume lead even in small quantities, that's their business. It's everything else in the ecosystem that isn't smart enough to know better. Whataboutism finds its way into this each time.

I haven't bought into a damn thing, lead is a poison. When people defend their position to use lead with lowercase logic, and it gives as much a a shred of traction to anti-hunters, those are folks contributing to that cause, not the ones that say copper is a legit option.

Last edited: