6mm Creedmoor hunting ammo

Tex68w

WKR
I did a bunch of research on the preferred loads for the 6mm Creedmoor prior to picking up a barrel. I found myself going back and forth between 103 ELD-X, 105 Bergers and 109 ELD-M. In the end I ordered up a bunch of 108 ELD-M for my 22" Proof Carbon 6mm Creedmoor TL3 pre-fit. How many of you are using this load for both steel and hunting ('yotes, antelope, pigs, deer)?

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
*raises hand*
I am.
Only used it on a pig and a whitetail this far so the sample size is small.
High shoulder shot on deer was a Bang!-Flop.
Pig was a head shot behind the ear. Also a Bang -Flop.
Shooting steel to 700y in our front pasture.
Love the round.
Once I shoot up the factory ammo Ive stocked up I'm going to try some Hammer Hunter bullets next to have a lead free option for food acquisition (the dumb shit we do when we marry a hippy lol).

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
*raises hand*
I am.
Only used it on a pig and a whitetail this far so the sample size is small.
High shoulder shot on deer was a Bang!-Flop.
Pig was a head shot behind the ear. Also a Bang -Flop.
Shooting steel to 700y in our front pasture.
Love the round.
Once I shoot up the factory ammo Ive stocked up I'm going to try some Hammer Hunter bullets next to have a lead free option for food acquisition (the dumb shit we do when we marry a hippy lol).

Haha, my good buddy and hunting partner married a woman with a PhD in Biology so I am fully aware of the strongly urged/suggested changes he/we should make to how we hunt/harvest lol. I know she means well but man oh man, it's a struggle with that one lol.

When looking for ammo for both my 6CM and 6ARC, the Hornady 105 BTHP seems to be the most common ammo out there. Am I missing something? Is this their competition to the Berger? Is it “better” than the 108 ELD-M? Or does it suck and that’s why it’s in stock everywhere and everything else is sold out? Or…was this the latest Hornady run and so that’s what everybody has? So many questions about this bullet. Any insight by more knowledgeable people would be appreciated.

Also, I went all in on the ELD-Ms hoping they shoot well. Used ammoseek and a few coupons and found some $20ish dollar boxes.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, my good buddy and hunting partner married a woman with a PhD in Biology so I am fully aware of the strongly urged/suggested changes he/we should make to how we hunt/harvest lol. I know she means well but man oh man, it's a struggle with that one lol.
One of my best friends is PhD holder (conservation and biology) and he is the single best hunter/woodsman that I know.
He actually has a side-hussle as the county hog trapper for our state G&F agency when he isn't working for them with PhD students or teaching at the local university.
I'm a complete NERD about the species that I hunt, our habitat, and I frequently spend an evening with a Google scholar paper and a bottle of bourbon. Every. Single. Time. I hang out with him he teaches me something.
It's either glorious or annoying depending on the day.
🙄😡

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
When looking for ammo for both my 6CM and 6ARC, the Hornady 105 BTHP seems to be the most common ammo out there. Am I missing something? Is this their competition to the Berger? Is it “better” than the 108 ELD-M? Or does it suck and that’s why it’s in stock everywhere and everything else is sold out? Or…was this the latest Hornady run and so that’s what everybody has? So many questions about this bullet. Any insight by more knowledgeable people would be appreciated.

Also, I went all in on the ELD-Ms hoping they shoot well. Used ammoseek and a few coupons and found some $20ish dollar boxes.
I have no reply about Hornady BTHP in .243 diameter but they have been hell on hogs in .223

For that price I'd buy 2 boxes, rezero for them, and try it.

kkp005

WKR
I’ve killed deer and hogs out of 18” and 20” 6cm with 108eldm, 105 Berger hybrid, 105gr hornady bthp, 95gr NBT .. all killed well but I’ve been the most impressed with 105gr hornady bthp. Exits on almost everything and mush insides .
Below is 2 mature bucks with the hornady 105s

Attachments

• IMG_8395.jpeg
    IMG_8395.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7984.png
    IMG_7984.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 58

khuber84

WKR
108 elite hunter, hand loads at 3040-3050fps. Factory Berger ammo is 2940fps with same bullet. I killed 6 animals with the rifle, and my nephew used for one. But a mixture of deer and antelope from 400-730y, all one shot kills with bang flop, or maximum of 20-30y death sprint with jello internals. 3 of the 7 had exit wounds. The bullets performed great, one was a shoulder shot as the doe was quartered hard towards me and there was maybe 2-3# meat loss, that was about 480y impact. I could have waited for her to turn broadside, but I was in a hurry as I planned to take the other doe behind her after the first shot.

One of my best friends is PhD holder (conservation and biology) and he is the single best hunter/woodsman that I know.
He actually has a side-hussle as the county hog trapper for our state G&F agency when he isn't working for them with PhD students or teaching at the local university.
I'm a complete NERD about the species that I hunt, our habitat, and I frequently spend an evening with a Google scholar paper and a bottle of bourbon. Every. Single. Time. I hang out with him he teaches me something.
It's either glorious or annoying depending on the day.
🙄😡
So what does he say regarding lead projectiles and game consumption?

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
I ordered up a few hundred of the 108 ELD-M week before last. They are due to arrive this week, hopefully I can get to the range in the coming weeks and try them out on some pigs and coyotes in the coming weeks.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
108's are here. I'll hopefully get it to the range in the next few weeks and see how it does.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered up a few hundred of the 108 ELD-M week before last. They are due to arrive this week, hopefully I can get to the range in the coming weeks and try them out on some pigs and coyotes in the coming weeks.
Was at the LGS the other day. Had a limited amount of "unaccounted-for" cash in my pocket.
My choices were 108 ELD-M's in 6mm OR 77gr TMK's in .223.
They had fewer 108's so that made my choice.
Hopefully they still have 500 packs of 77 TMKs on my next visit.
*Crosses fingers*
Now if Brownells will just get my 6mm Creedmor dies to me this week...