7-08 Loads with 131 Hammer Bullets?

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up a box of 131 hammer bullets for the wife's 7-08. Already have loads for both 120 & 140 Barnes but nothing in the 130 weight class. Which powders and loads are working for anyone? I have a good selection of powders, but RL15 for 120 and H4895 for 140 are what works for us with those bullets. Thanks in advance for any information.

I would think that both of those powders would be fine. Hodgdon and Sierra both show a 130gr using H4895, and the Sierra has RL15 in there so that should give you a startling point for both.

*Edit. Also looks like the hammer hunter load data log has some loads using IMR3031, IMR4895, and Varget.

I have tried IMR 4064, 4895 and Varget. Varget seems to work best. Using a CCI Mag primer and a slight crimp with Peterson brass. Last loads I tested were running upwards of 2900fps and had low ES.

chris

Long Range Only has a sticky thread with the table of Hammer bullets load data that people have submitted. Several 7-08 loads in there

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I recently got some 120 gr Hmr Hunters for my "new to me" 7mm-08. After reading a bunch of posts on various forums that recommended using Nosler data for the same weight bullet I did just that and it appears to have worked fine. I didn't use mag primers because the 7mm-08 isn't that big a case but I still got single diget S/Ds in my better loads.

I had a screaming load with 131 Hammers in my 7mm-08 a couple years ago. I think it was over 45g of Varget but I would need to check my notes. 3k fps.
If you check your notes, I would be interested!

I tend to load the 7-08 "up" with heavies, but could be convinced to try a 130 at those speeds if pressures check out...

If you check your notes, I would be interested!

I tend to load the 7-08 "up" with heavies, but could be convinced to try a 130 at those speeds if pressures check out...
It was 43 grains but you need to start working up from 41 in your gun.

Post 158 on this Hammer thread:

My powder for 7-08 for over 30 years has been H414. You never hear folks talk about that one much. Also use it in 375H&H and .243.

My accuracy load is 45.3 gr Varget, Lapua brass, cci#200 primers. This was a load I developed by shooting a ladder and looking for pressure signs in my rifle with these components. 3000 fps should be doable and of course I advise you not to copy what others have done but work up on your own.

I had a screaming load with 131 Hammers in my 7mm-08 a couple years ago. I think it was over 45g *edit 43g of Varget but I would need to check my notes. 3k fps.
Great info. I love varget in a 7mm-08. I’ve hunted Barnes TTSX 140 gr out of my 7mm-08 mnt rifle. Building a custom now and looking for a great hunting load. Rifle has a 18” proof barrel 1:8 twist.

Didn’t know what length barrel you are shooting ?

My current load is 131gr HH over 47.0 gr of RL-16 and CCI #34 primers in Hornady brass, averaging 3k fps with std of 20 and ~2 MOA in my pencil-barreled 20" Savage LWH 7mm-08.

I loaded those on borrowed equipment and have taken two elk and a bear with them. All were sub 100yd shots and super clean kills. SUPER happy with hammer bullets terminal performance, but obviously I have a lot of room for improvement in the accuracy department.

47gr of RL-16 under such a long bullet is quite compressed, and while I had loaded up to 48gr and never got any pressure signs, I want to try a little less RL-16 and the 118 HHTs next time. I also have some faster-burning IMR 4064 I want to play with.

Last edited:
@mtluckydan,
I’ve been doing Hammer development in my Tikka 7mm-08 lately. Fair amount of info gathered. Pm me if you want more details. From my experience, Varget pressures out too early.

Back