7mm Mag 180 VLD Speeds??

bamagun

FNG
Im diving into reloading with a new 7 mag and am surprised by the speeds Im getting and am curious if anyone else is seeing these speeds. Ive read in numerous places the top end is around 3k with the 160-180 bullets but Im getting much higher.. Im using a new magneto V3, so Im believing the speeds, but they are still surprising. Below is what Im seeing on average...

Case-ADG
Primer CCI250
180 VLD
RL 26 68.6 gn is averaging 3080ish
RL 26 69.5 gn is averaging 3110

This is with all new brass and Ive felt some tension differences in some of the bullets, so Ive deleted some of the extreme higher velocities upwards of 3150, but Ive yet to see any pressure signs on any case and the bolt lift is the same on all of the shots. Im loading them long so I still have plenty of case capacity, so Im going to load some up to 71.5 and see if that shoots safe and accurate. If the trajectory goes up like the previous work up, Im expecting 71.5 will get me around 3150 maybe with a 180.. That seems awful high for a 7 mag, but Ill see. I have a caldwell chrono Im going to set up when I get back down south to shoot along with that magneto to verify those speeds, but I think they are correct. Tomorrow is 16 rounds with the 196 EOL with the same initial work up I used with the 180, but Ill be stopping at 68.0 with those. If I can get up to 69 grains with the 195 at around 3075, that will be great.... Hell, if the gun can handle it, I may see what 3100 does with the 195.. CBTO is 2.722 if anyone is wandering and also, Ive had some large extreme spreads with both of those charges 32 and 37 respectively, over 8 shots per, but that includes the one or two that were alot faster than the others and Im attributing that to the inconsistent neck tension and sizing (brownells didnt send my bushings so I couldnt ensure all of the case necks were consistent).. Sorry for rambling, but if anyone is familiar with the above load, please chime in. I have Retumbo, 8133, 165, 565, 560, RL23, RL50, ect to play with, but it looks like 26 is going to be a screamer with this gun....

From a 9 twist Krieger, 180 SMK, Rem brass, using R22, ave 2960, in my old match gun. The same gun, using a bunch of 22, would push a 162 Amax over 3200.
My guess is the 26 is giving you a good, efficient fill with the resulting velocity.

thanks. That seems to be around the averages in the published stuff I've seen. I know I'm over the very little RL26 data out there, but my cases look the same as they did out of the box, minus a marking that has been exactly the same on everything I fire on it. The bolt lift has remained consistent throughout as well. I shot the 195 EOL's today from 65.0 (2871) up to 68.4 (2995). The highest velocity came from a 68.0 @ 3017. Im a little confused since im well past book max and the damn thing is putting holes in the same spot throughout. I also shot a few 175 accubonds with 86.6, loaded long and got 3084 average, with an ES of 4, and probably 1/4 minute. Guess I'll see what the Caldwell chrono says when I get back from this trip. If I had access to a whole Lotta yardage I would verify the speed with the drop, but for now I have to trust the V3

I started loading for my buddy’s 7mm I started with mid book charge and worked up to max with H1000 and 180 eldm’s and thought it would be faster, I have zero signs of pressure so I’ll keep bumping up .5 increments till I see pressure and drop back. I have some RL 26 but I’m keeping it for my guns.

7AAD81FC-945A-4AC6-B665-6F8825679FEA.jpeg

Each 7mag is an entity to itself.

I know for me that with a 180 I would stop at 3100 and be happy.......

edit- With 180’s I would be happy at 3050ish

Back