7mm Rem Mag bullet for Elk

AZsniper

WKR
I bought a 7mm Rem Mag for Elk hunting in Arizona. I want my boys to be able to shoot it as well so chose not to get the 7PRC. I will be using Gun Werks brass. Looking at 195 Berger but I think the 175 might be a better choice for velocity. Looking at ELDX in 175 as well. Open to input from people who reload 7mm for Elk. Elk are different animals than deer and I want to make sure I pick best bullet. For me the Barnes are out due to long range shots often necessary in Arizona. Thanks in advance for input.

7PRC and 7RM have the same recoil with the same bullet weights. The PRC has more recoil generally because factory loads have heavier bullets (generation 175-180) than 7RM factory loads (generally 150-162). If you are saying that you need reduced recoil for your kids, load light bullets in that gun. The ELD-M and ELD-X in the 162gr range are great bullets either hand loaded or in factory loads. If you’re saying they you don’t think 7PRC will stand the test of time, that’s an understandable take.

I’m not sure if your 1:9 will stabilize a 195gr, I don’t think it will. Check a stability calculator on that one.

My 7PRC does certainly recoil more than my 6.5 creedmoor but frankly it isn’t bad with a suppressor. Assuming your kids are shooting with just a bare muzzle, you’ll have more recoil, but a good recoil pad and a rigid stock go a long way towards comfort, and mine is definitely what I’d call an all day gun, but you’d be sore at the end of a 3-4 day rifle course.

As was previously mentioned, a heavier bullet will increase recoil especially without a muzzle break.

Recoil in a 7prc and a 7mm Rem Mag with the same weight bullet and same weight rifle is negligible.

You will probably not be able to stabilize anything over about a 180 Berger VLD in a 1/9 twist, more than likely you will be better served in the 160 class bullets. Nosler Accubond 160, Nosler Partition, Hornady ELDX, Berger 168 etc. (I personally shoot the 162 ELDX in my 7mag)

Hornady states on the box you need a 1/8.5 twist minimum to stabilize the 175 ELDX.

The other option is to run Barnes TTSX in the 140gn weight. Copper penetrates very well and should have no problem on an Elk inside 600yds with good shot placement.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for dropping to a 160 grain bullet. I just went from a 175 down to a 160 accubond and recoil is definitely lower. And velocity is higher. Ballistics wise looks like easy 600 yard with velocity still a little over 2000fps. Plenty for good expansion.

Fox625

Lil-Rokslider
It’s only a sample size of 1 but I took my first elk with the factory loaded Barnes 139gr LRX out of a 7RM Vanguard. Muzzle velocity was 3110 and my small framed 10 year old at the time shot the rifle well. It was a very smooth feeling round and I had no issues shooting it for reps. Took my cow at 275 yards and she dropped in her tracks.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot and reload a lot of 7RM and have killed a lot of elk with 162-ELDX from 200-600 yards. They are not perfect bullets, but every elk I shot with them died real quick and they are super accurate.

My x-bolt would not stabilize anything heavier.

TaperPin

WKR
If you’re scope dialing the 175 gr accubond is better on paper, but I‘m another that shot 160s for everything and never felt the need to dial out to 500 yards.

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for 168 Berger VLDs. Been magic out of my 7mm. If I had to choose again it'd be between those and the Berger 180 Hybrids.

Any quality hunting bullet from 160-175gr will suit you well and work in your rifle with its twist rate. Pick your poison, develop a load and go to town.

Lytro

WKR
I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the bullets mentioned in this thread. Go with whatever your barrel likes.

I've killed all my elk with 162 gr SST's until I started handloading 154's. Dropped a mature 6x6 DRT with a 154 gr SST. I use the same load for deer and elk out of my 7RM and haven't lost an animal.

jk_minn

FNG
A 180 gr Berger of any flavor (VLD Hunting or Hybrid) would be a solid choice for your barrel length and twist. Have had zero issues stabilizing these with a 1:9" twist. In fact, have had decent results doing load development with 195s with the 7mag and a 1:9" twist, despite it being recommended to have a faster twist barrel (probably losing some efficiency...). 180s are a safe bet though.

Have watched 20+ deer in the last few year not go further than 20 yards after being hit by these at ranges from 0 to 860 yards. Haven't lost any game - Bergers work.

Don't be afraid to try out other primers - have seen better success with the 210Ms over the 215Ms.

padenlac

FNG
I bought a 7mm Rem Mag for Elk hunting in Arizona. I want my boys to be able to shoot it as well so chose not to get the 7PRC. I will be using Gun Werks brass. Looking at 195 Berger but I think the 175 might be a better choice for velocity. Looking at ELDX in 175 as well. Open to input from people who reload 7mm for Elk. Elk are different animals than deer and I want to make sure I pick best bullet. For me the Barnes are out due to long range shots often necessary in Arizona. Thanks in advance for input.
168gr berger VLD lightly touching the lands with H1000 has shot amazing in several different 7 rem mags.

OP
AZsniper

AZsniper

WKR
A 180 gr Berger of any flavor (VLD Hunting or Hybrid) would be a solid choice for your barrel length and twist. Have had zero issues stabilizing these with a 1:9" twist. In fact, have had decent results doing load development with 195s with the 7mag and a 1:9" twist, despite it being recommended to have a faster twist barrel (probably losing some efficiency...). 180s are a safe bet though.

Have watched 20+ deer in the last few year not go further than 20 yards after being hit by these at ranges from 0 to 860 yards. Haven't lost any game - Bergers work.

Don't be afraid to try out other primers - have seen better success with the 210Ms over the 215Ms.
Agreed on the different primers. I have had luck swapping the federal for cci primers in some loads.