7prc ELD-X Hornady vs Federal?

Has anyone shot 7prc ELD-X Hornady vs Federal side by side?
My new rifle is ready and id like to go with ELD-X
Seems like some people reporting that Federal is slightly higher velocities and more consistent?
If anyone shot both please share your results
Thanks

House21

FNG
I’ve shot both, Hornady was slower avg 2776 fps with a higher ES mid 50s if I recall, groups were good though. Federal avg 2883 fps with ES in the low 30s and groups .5-75 moa.

Either would do, but I’ll take the better groups which just so happens to be faster as well

jimh406

WKR
If you read some of the other threads, it seems Hornady rounds are pretty inconsistent in relation to velocity. Given those choices, I think I'd go with Federal until Hornady goes back to consistency or buy a lot of Hornady rounds to last you a long while.

OP
R
I’ve shot both, Hornady was slower avg 2776 fps with a higher ES mid 50s if I recall, groups were good though. Federal avg 2883 fps with ES in the low 30s and groups .5-75 moa.

Either would do, but I’ll take the better groups which just so happens to be faster as well
Thanks.
Yea I’m not as worried about Hornady being lil slower if groups were better.
But seems like federal is consistent and still groups well.
I may just have to get 2boxes of each and go hit the range to test side by side.

House21

FNG
Thanks.
I may just have to get 2boxes of each and go hit the range to test side by side.
That’s what I did, bought a box of everything I could find. Both hornady loads I tried grouped well, the federal just grouped better.
I also tried the nosler 175gr ablr and those had good speed but terrible groups, averaged over 2.3moa for my best group

OP
R
That’s what I did, bought a box of everything I could find. Both hornady loads I tried grouped well, the federal just grouped better.
I also tried the nosler 175gr ablr and those had good speed but terrible groups, averaged over 2.3moa for my best group
By chance did you try Hornady CX??
I like the idea of copper. But they just didn’t group well for me in other rifles

House21

FNG
By chance did you try Hornady CX??
I like the idea of copper. But they just didn’t group well for me in other rifles
I didn’t, I use to shoot a lot of all copper bullets but was never a fan of the way they killed. Sometimes you would get quick kills but for the most part they would be on their feet for longer than I liked so I don’t even try them anymore.
If you’re interested in copper, I hear Barnes is coming out with 7prc ammo loaded with LRX bullets which would be my choice if I wanted to shoot copper

Thanks.

I wouldn't even waste money on the Hornady ammo if I were you. Usually that's about the best ammo you can find in any cartridge but they totally screwed the pooch on the 7PRC.

Get a box of federal and if it shoots get more. If you really want Hornady I have a bunch I'll sell you

OP
R
CX hasn’t shot well in any rifle I have seen.

Browning X-Bolt 2 with Hornady 160gr CX factory-
View attachment 705186
o wow thanks for sharing,
i've had poor results with CMX (before they changed to CX) in last rifle i tried .270 win
but my friend's shot amazing sub-moa groups with CMX, (he shoots tikka)

as much as i like idea of copper, i'm pretty certain that i'll stick with ELD-X, its a hard to beat projectile. works well at short and long distances.
so Federal ELD-X it is for now, but i'll be interested in trying Barnes LRX copper ammo once it become available.
thanks guys.

kickemall

WKR
My Tikka 7 PRC shoots Hornady eld x at 2878 out of a 24" barrel and shoots about a 4-5" 100 yd. group using Hornady CX. Got a box of Federal eld x to try.