7x57 suggestions

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Just looking for some suggestions on a projectile worth trying on elk from a 7x57. If not familiar with the calibre a 7mm08 is pretty similar.

I've read a bit online, mostly from magnum fans that this cal aint suitable for elk. I figure if walter bell can shoot several hundred elephants and jim corbett a handful of tigers with this cal it can handle elk just fine.

Thinking a 140gn accubond or maybe the 139 sst, something with a good bc is preferable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Glad you posted this. Ive been thinking about putting a 7X57 barrel on a Win mod 70 action....I do have a 257Roberts that shoots 110 Accubonds really well so was leaning that way with the 7x57...following.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Since I hunt with monos I run the 145lrx in my 7-08 but its a little slow, run that bullet in my 280AI also so I haven't changed up the 7-08 load. When I was loading some rounds for a buddy's 7-08 we went with the 140 TTSX instead to pick up some velocity, he's taken elk with it. I haven't taken an elk with my 7-08 but I've taken a few bulls with the 280AI and that 145LRX just fine.

But in general I'd go with a 140gr type bullet as it'll keep the velocity up a bit while still having a suitable weight to it.

LandYacht

WKR
All depends on what action you have and your barrel twist. If it’s a modern rifle you can really push your rounds a lot faster with more powder than if you have an older military rifle.

The 175 grain bullet is what those military rifles really seem to shoot the best. 99% of the factory loads are loaded with these older rifle’s actions in mind.

I am a one rifle guy and my rifle is a Ruger M77 in 7x57. I’ve yet to find a bullet that it doesn’t like. I’ve run 175 all the way down to 140. Shot plenty of elk with 140 grain Sierra Game Kings, 140 grain core-lokt, and 175 grain Noslers. Been running 140 grain Nosler Accubonds lately and they have been very good too.

Depending on your loads, you are going to start running out of gas at about 500-600 yards, so I suppose if you are looking for those 900 yard shots then the magnum crowd is right, it’s too “small” for elk. I’ve never had to take a shot over 300 on an elk, so I can’t speak from experience on the longer shots on elk. Was hitting an 8” steel every shot at 325 last week and they still get there with authority.

Hunt with confidence, keep your shot distance reasonable, and place your shot where you’re supposed to and you won’t have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a hunter not a shooter so 900 yard shots aren't on my radar, half that is about as far as I'm willing to go these days for personal fair chase reasons.

My rifle is a custom job with a strong action so I'm not worried about pressures. I had it built with a 1:9" twist so it will probably handle most anything i think.

I got a reply from nosler, with warmer loads you can push a 140gn accubond to 2700-2800 fairly easily. I'm guessing you could push it to 2900 with compressed loads but probably no point.

LandYacht

WKR
Nosler has a bunch of load charts too on their website. Good place to start when making up your loads.

That twist will probably handle everything and depending on your lands should have an affinity for the heavier bullets. The 175 is the original weight and they seem to thrive in these guns.

Welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to beat the 162gr eld-m out of the mid size 7mm.

pretty good reason half the South Island in Nz carry a tikka in 7mm-08. Stone stags in the bush and drop tahr across the valley. 1-9 you could try a box of the 180's although you might run into mag box constraints

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
It's hard to beat the 162gr eld-m out of the mid size 7mm.

pretty good reason half the South Island in Nz carry a tikka in 7mm-08. Stone stags in the bush and drop tahr across the valley. 1-9 you could try a box of the 180's although you might run into mag box constraints

Half? That's an exaggeration in my experience it's at least 3/4

Who does 180s in 7mm? Berger?

TauPhi111

WKR
I'll always be a fan on the solid copper bullets. 145 LRX would be good. If they'll fit in your mag and run through your action, the stuff from Cutting edge or Hammer is also superb.

ballisticstudies has a great section on 7x57

With how much components are in OZ I'd be hard to recommend anything but hornady projectiles.

The other bullet that seems to be a pretty awesome shorter shot oriented bullet is the 120gr ballistic tip.. they beefed up the jacket for the 7mm mag guys varmint shooting but it'll do sweet from 3100 down to about 2000 or so.

Probably the only bullet advice I'll give that's second hand but that's advice from kiwi mates that shoot a lot of critters.

slvrslngr

WKR
Skip the SST, if Hornady is what’s available, you’d be better off with the Interlock. My nephew has shot 2 elk with the 139 gr Interlock out of a 7-08 and hasn’t recovered a bullet yet. The 140 Accubond is also an excellent choice as is the Partition. The copper solids would work too, I like the TTSX best. For elk, I would roll with the 120 gr pushed hard. Elk aren’t bullet proof, just about any decent bullet shot through the boiler room will kill them.

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the recommendations, i ordered some 150gn ttsx but after a four month wait and no indication when they would come off back order i cancelled. It can be tough sourcing stuff here.

130 gn is the legal minimum in my state too.

Availability and price is the pain here, partitions are about $80 a box, mind you barnes are almost $90 now. For some reason accubonds are still around $70. Hornady sst are about $70 and interbond which I really like are about $90.
Money is a little tight with the new house and baby so the boss wants me to be pragmatic with spending!

Local store has nothing except for sierra matchking so I need to drive about 3 1/2 hours to melbourne to find anything, joys of living in a big country hey!

I'm no doubt over thinking it, I've shot plenty if reds and sambar with a 270 and a 130gn sst and interlocks

I've taken several elk with my 280 Remington and one so far with my .280 AI. The 140 gr. Nosler Partition, Accubond, or E-tip would all work perfectly for you. The Accubond would be a good one to try first in the 7x57! That old gal is one great cartridge!

David