$82k- edit; for a 4 door Jeep Rubicon

I did write in my post that the people driving them don't "NEED" them, as in they don't uses them for work and don't pull a horse trailer or camper every weekend.

I own a business and use it as an excuse to buy some things that I probably shouldn't due to it being a write off and being money I would pay taxes on if i didn't spend it, but I'm talking clothing, tools and inexpensive small items.

In regards to your response though and I'm not arguing, just generally curious. I just went on Facebook and found the first used diesel for sale. It's a 2013 F350 XL with 151k miles. They are asking $27k. 2023 F350 diesel I'm seeing online for $82k.

So are you saying that in the 5 years your truck is under warranty, you will spend $55k on unexpected repairs? $11k a year on unexpected non wear and tear repairs?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Not quite apples to apples, but I think the principle applies. In college I worked for a guy who built fence part time. We did about 100 miles of fence a year. It made more sense financially to have a new skid steer vs a used one, although new ones were about 4 times the used cost.

When the new one has a breakdown, which is inevitable with skid steers. We’d get a loaner machine.. so we’d only miss maybe a half day of work instead of the 7 days they needed to fix ours. That’s how it’s cheaper to own a new machine or truck for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was her out the door price inc tax and license -

So she got a ‘Deal’ then…..grin.

It seems like 20% of the teen age girls around here are all driving Jeeps and zero teen boys as they call it a chick car. Oh how that brand has changed.

When I was younger it was only guys driving jeeps….and there wasn’t a $40k difference between models…it was a Jeep.
It is funny you mention that, as I do see more women than men in Jeep mall crawlers.

It made more sense financially to have a new skid steer vs a used one, although new ones were about 4 times the used cost.

When the new one has a breakdown, which is inevitable with skid steers. We’d get a loaner machine.. so we’d only miss maybe a half day of work instead of the 7 days they needed to fix ours.

Question, why wouldn't he just buy 2 used ones and save half the money keeping one available if the other needed repair?

I just parked next to a Rubicon. Can a Jeep guy here tell me why on earth you’d pay $80-100,000+ for one? It looked tiny next to my truck and pretty much just a little Jeep to me i sure didn’t see $80,000 in it but maybe someone could enlighten me.

I just parked next to a Rubicon. Can a Jeep guy here tell me why on earth you’d pay $80-100,000+ for one? It looked tiny next to my truck and pretty much just a little Jeep to me i sure didn’t see $80,000 in it but maybe someone could enlighten me.

The 80k version has a fancy motor in it.

Much like parking your truck next to a Raptor and wondering the difference.

I'd rather have something that goes fast that isn't as likely to roll over, but I also know that I still don't have enough sense for something that goes fast.

Are these numbers true? This does not seem possible. I took our Ford Escape (POS) in for some recall work a couple weeks ago and was just roaming around and looked at a new F250 Diesel of some sort with an MSRP of $74K I think. How on earth could a jeep be more than that? Have a buddy who ran a shop (retired) who told me one time to NEVER buy a jeep. Said you will pay.
That's not a particularly well equipped f250...

I guess my point was more like buy one Stanley, or whatever quality item, not 10 of them and use it forever vs buying cheap Walmart stuff over and over.

I’m guilty as well of course, bought no name or Walmart branded items cause they were cheap when Walmart was the new thing in my small town 30 years ago. I don’t have a single thing i bought from them back then anymore. My Dad still had that well used Stanley Thermos to give to me though.

I’ll add, sorta funny to me you call a Stanley mug “flash and glamour” as all my Dads grubby welder friends and hunting buddies had those green thermoses. My wife isnt impressed with mine because it’s green so she calls it “hunting stuff” as in “get your dirty hunting stuff off the counter” I’m going to tell her it’s a flash and glamour thermos. 😂
Have you seen the new pretty Stanley mugs.
Defiantly not what my grandpa and dad carried to work
Thats what I'm referring to as flash and glamor.
Not good old Stanley green

I saw a Jeep yesterday at the tire shop while getting my kids car done. What's the deal with the ducks? That's gotta be the stupidest thing ever.

I don’t really notice the local Jeeps having the rubber ducks, but once the tourists start showing up in the summer to get their Jeep badges for the various alpine passes, it’s ducks galore.

I get the practical application of keeps: it’s a capable off-road vehicle you can buy stock and go for some terrain that is aftermarket on most other vehicles. I don’t get the Jeep culture. Reckon that “I don’t get it” so much that I have 0 people in my immediate social circle that drive a Jeep. A guy at my gym who routinely asks for a spot on his very impressive bench press has a pimped out jeep. I asked him if he gets out after the alpine trails and he said, “he’ll no. I don’t drive anything I might die on.”
Ok.

-snotty high school girls seem to get Jeeps as graduation presents.

-Gen X Moms complete with giant scarfs, wine tumblers, designer purses, cracked I phone screen, non functional fingernails. (See former snotty high school girls)

What I don’t see are a lot of beat-to-shit jeeps. Ie this Jeep as been out in the trenches, hit a deer, got some battle scars in Moab. I’m talking the rough equivalent to seeing a 1st Gen Taco with Icon suspension on it. Beat to shit but with high end components because it gets used. That doesn’t seem like much of a thing in Jeep culture. They don’t last that long?

Admittedly, there is some ‘Pot calling Kettle’ here by me as I have been guilty of buying one of the higher trim models of these trucks.…and I don’t know a thing about Jeeps- thats obvious- grin. Heck, they could be the greatest.

After looking around, I am a bit shocked at how many $100,000 plus vehicles there are on the road and with 30-somethings driving them. You can still buy a small home in some areas with that kind of dough.

More power to those folks if they have that kind of disposable income.

So with zero down on a 100k car loan you might be paying around $1600 a month for 72 months. Depending on interest % you can negotiate. Holy crapola.
Unfortunately, I have seen many folks going down the leasing route first, in order to afford the payments of something they really can't "afford". Lease for 3 years and then "buy" that now used vehicle with financing over the next 5 to 6 years after the lease ends. There's your 8 to 9 years to fully "buy" a vehicle. Of course, most don't seem to make it and trade it in for a severe discount on another new vehicle and head down the same path. Have watched this play out multiple times. Basic economics doesn't even factor into these decisions. Have to maintain that "image" - Dealerships and banks are just smiling all day long.

My 2016 Rubicon has been good to me….156,000 miles with no major issues (just normal wear/maintenance). Of course, I need one where I’m at, as my place is out in the high-country boondocks. With lockers in the front and rear, I pull out quite a few folks here in the winter……most are trucks (Ford, Chevy, Toyota, dodge, etc.) that believe their outfit can tackle the snow or mud easily. Lockers in all four tires make a world of difference, IMO.

While I like mine, I won’t pay $80,000 for one in the future.

Back