8x42s with a spotter

gmajor

WKR
Hey all, I'm going to pick up some Razor HDs. I'm deciding between the 8x42s and 10x42s. Opinions are torn on which to get, and I can appreciate that.

I really like 8s for stability, quick checks, elk hunting and so forth. 10x42s are still functional in the hand, though they inferior to 8s. They're better on a tripod though of course. I've used both but am still having trouble with this decision.

Anyway, am I crazy for leaning toward getting 8s? In my mind I'll have a more stable picture and wider field of view when moving and doing short bursts of glassing, then for extended sessions I can mount them and swap them for a spotter when I need to look closer at something in particular. I think this jives with some of what Robby Denning has written about previously.

Granted it's mostly personal preference but would love to hear from folks who have gone back and forth between 8s and 10s as their main binos.

handwerk

WKR
In the swaro EL SV's I have had the 10x42's for years, love them and still use them, but after trading into a pair of the SV's in 8.5x42 I used them out west on two hunts and came away very impressed, and surprised how close they were to the 10x in showing detail while being easier on the eyes and a little brighter. I think if you go with 8x and a spotter you'll likely be in great shape for most situations.

I have never heard anyone say "Gosh, these 10x binocular are just way too powerful, I need to get some 8x's".

My setup for mounting a 10x42 to my tripod increased the performance so much, I really don't need to carry my big heavy spotter. Maybe even compromise with a 10x50 and ditch the spotting scope entirely?

elkguide

WKR
I love my 10's and with the good glass of Swaro's, I don't feel over glassed even in the thick hardwoods of New England.

OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
Don't get me wrong I've used and enjoyed 10s, but there are times when I would prefer the field of view of the 8s given the option (quite often while elk hunting actually). Just as there are times when I'd prefer the 10s' zoom. I will be adding a spotter into my gear though, so part of me thinks that the field of view of the 8s with the ability to focus in with the spotter might be superior. Need to try them both, but I guess I'm handwringing with the big purchase.

elkguide

WKR
Sounds like you have already made up your mind and are now just trying to talk yourself into it. As I said, I'm a 10 power fan and while I do use a spotter, there are way to many times that I don't have time to get out my spotter and the 10's tell me what I need to know.

I love my 8x42 for western Washington and my 12x50 on a tripod for eastern wa. I rarely pull out my spotting scope anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
Sounds like you have already made up your mind and are now just trying to talk yourself into it. As I said, I'm a 10 power fan and while I do use a spotter, there are way to many times that I don't have time to get out my spotter and the 10's tell me what I need to know.

Reading back is does sound like that, but I've been back and forth daily for awhile not believe it or not haha.

Anyway thanks for the feedback gang.

GKPrice

Banned
I have a focusing problem with my eyes since I had RK surgery in '96, at that time I was forced to go to ZEISS 10 x 40 Classics because that was the only binoc of that time that didn't give me a near instant headache - I changed to a Geovid in 2003 and took an 8 x 42 because a pre-owned was all I could afford, My son, who is able to afford more, then purchased a 10x42 - Ever since I've had it in my mind that I was hamstrung with the "8's" and last year I upgraded to the 10x42 also, BOY! was I a shmuck !! I'm actually considering going back to the 8x42's (but probably won't) - To MY EYES there is no functional difference, and that's all I have to say about that .....

kickemall

WKR
I went from 10s to 8s and have no regrets or thoughts of going back to 10s. You'll be o.k. with either I just prefer 8s.

dotman

WKR
I went from 8's to 10's and really I like both. If I ever get 8's again it'll be an 8x32 though instead of 8x42.

Firehawk

WKR
I have switched to 8x from 10x because I couldn't hold the 10x steady enough. They were great from a tripod, but just hand holding, I had too much shake. I do have a 9x Maven B2 now and it is pushing it for me. I have a few 8x binos and just picked up an 8x Zen Ray Prime HD from the classifieds here. Can't wait to try them. Everytime I look through my buddy's 10x Vipers, I am reminded why I went 8x. I just cannot hold the 10x steady enough.

I really like the 9x Mavens, but I can tell that I am at the edge for what I can hold steady.

Good luck.

FH

I love 8's! To me the brightness, FOV and stability are what I personally am drawn to. Everyone I hunt with uses 10's and I can't think of a time when there was something they could see that I couldn't. I also run a spotter when needed. My advice would be go to the store and get the 8's and 10's and go back and forth between them. Don't look at which one your using and just let your eyes decide what you like better.

1signguy

WKR
I just made the jump to 15x56 binoculars for spotting on the tripod and gave the 10x42's to my son. For moving through country and stalking I am going to an 8x30. Once I had the opportunity to set a pair of 15x56's on a tripod and spend a few hours behind them I knew which direction I was going. The eye relief and lack of fatigue is just amazing!

I love sitting behind the binoculars now which is something I never thought I would say.

Tex68w

WKR
I have 8's and a spotter. I agree with OP's sentiments, better FOV, steadier, easier on the eyes, and lighter. After playing with 8's and 10's extensively I didn't see a situation where I felt like I needed that extra 2x over the 8's. I have 20/13 vision so I personally don't feel the need for any more power and if I do I just pull out the spotter. 10's are the biggest I'd ever go on binos but I don't foresee the need to change it up anytime soon.

jherald

WKR
I run 10x42 and a spotter for all my hunting whether it's Moose, Bear, Sheep, Deer or Caribou. Lots of it is open country hunting but some of it is in the woods. I debated 8's or 10's for a while and settle on 10's. 8's would be slightly less "shaky" view than 10's.

I use 8.5s my buddy uses 10s. I found I can not hold the 10s still enough, so went with 8s. I like them alot and plan to try them off the tripod this year. If I used a tripod all the time the 10s would be great, but I do a lot of walking and use them with my arms perched on my knees quite a bit. My buddy often mentions he is thinking of going to 8s for the steadier view, but his 10s work well for him. We both spot just as many deer and elk, and pull out the spotting scope to size them up. You would be happy with either IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I run good 8x32s, and sometimes wish I could count points at 500yds, but always appreciate the FOV and ability to see in thick woods, in close.
When I hunt open country, I wish I had 10X about 10 percent of the time, the other 90 percent, I'm happy with my Nikon Premier LX 8X32.
Dark timber, I don't know how you'd use 10X.