A few hunts of late

jwb300

WKR
I picked up my new Sauer 404 a fortnight ago. I went to the range a worked up to max load then shot this group...

064_zpsmzkfbo3u.jpg

With that sorted it was time to go hunting. Last weekend I took it out for its maiden voyage and took a fallow doe that was in great condition.

Capture_zpsyu2g65jt.png

Condition_zpsyiihdcae.png

012_zps5vb3pgxq.jpg

011_zpswtybvizo.jpg

A week prior to getting the Sauer I ducked out to a local spot with a mate chasing some deer but found a mob of goats on some bluffy hills. We got above them and decided to tip over a few meat animals. When you get above them they don't know what to do and you can shoot a lot of goats. We took 5 in total but could have taken 12 or more easily.

During the carnage one of the nannies was hiding under a log and a cunning young billy saw an opportunity to do the dirty and had his way with her all the while his mates were getting zotted around him haha.

After we knocked over two meaties each a large old broomed billy appeared that was too big to pass up. He went just over 34" tip to tip but was very heavy. They broom off digging caves for shelter under the rocks.

Old billy
DSC09183_zpse9fq13lj.jpg

Meaties
DSC09163_zpslmdgsuyg.jpg

Carry out in the Exo
DSC09200_zpsp3lu5z71.jpg

For this hunt I used the Legendary Arms Works 300wm and 175gr Berger VLD's. It's fair to say that the VLD's performance was woeful with not one exit on the goats... but then again they aren't meant for 40 yds either. I have had 2 bad experiences with these projies in as many months. I shot a large mountain boar (80kg plus) from 70 yds right in the shoulder and he took off never to be seen again. I would say the projie blew up on his fighting pad and failed to penetrate.

Cheers,
JWB300

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
Few more pics

Meat all packed
DSC09213_zpsxvbehj25.jpg

Skin for a rug
DSC09206_zpseonmqus1.jpg

One of many caves - some of them would be 10m across and several meters deep.
DSC09164_zpsb0qtknea.jpg

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome, thank you for sharing the pictures. I love seeing different country.

OP
jwb300

jwb300

WKR
Thanks guys. Yeah they shelter in caves in heat and rain. It's nice not having bag limits and tags. They are introduced so as with almost all introduced animals you can take as many as you want. Keeps the freezer full and the dog fed.

Cheers,
JWB300