A good waxed jacket ? Help me out

I’m looking into getting a waxed jacket and have been looking at filson and flint and tinder… curious how they compare and if anybody here has worn both…. The flint and tinder is cheaper and closer to a price that I’d be willing to pay! But if the filson is that much better I will go for it… let me know your thoughts

mgmicky

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Flint and Tinder waxed jacket and I like it. Never compared to Filson, but I’m tall and skinny and most Filson stuff is too boxy on me. The F&T is athletic cut and style is probably intended as around town jacket vs busting brush or hard outdoor use.

LoggerDan

WKR
Filson ain’t worth a tinker’s damn anymore. Past six years, I’d go through one pair of tin pants a year. Lose a guy line stump in the first month (suspenders button). Hole in the back pockets and lose your snuice, tear on anything you caught on. Granted, I worked them hard and wear them every day til summer, but still, they used to not be that way. They cater to folks who want to look like they work hard. It’s for white collar folks who wanna look blue collar.used to be standard issue for west coast loggers.

VA2MT

Lil-Rokslider
Old USA made Filson jackets are pretty impressive. Haven’t seen the non made in USA ones

crypt_keeper

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I like something with a removable liner, or at least wool(preferrably) or flannel lined

fwafwow

WKR
You want something sturdy, look at the Ship Johns Wills Jacket...24oz canvas!
Wow. That thing is a beast. Looks somewhat spendy and unless I'm not understanding the ordering process, it looks like you put in a deposit now and the earliest delivery is Jan of 2026?

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Barbour jacket and I love it. Little pricey, but all quality waxed jackets seem to be.

You can find stuff on youtube that shows you how to wax a Carhartt if you're just looking for a waxed beater coat. You could likely do this pretty cheap. One video shows a waxed gray carhartt pile lined jacket that actually looks really good imho. He mentioned it did make the coat more durable as well. I'm not a huge fan of the cut of Filson jackets I've owned.
Another brand I've seen that makes waxed canvas is the Outback one.

Get a Barbour off ebay.that and a wool sweater I feel weatherproof. Not a backpacking thing though

woods89

WKR
If you're just looking to make a jacket more weatherproof, I've treated a Carhartt jacket with Otter Wax a few times. I like what it does. I suppose you could use almost any canvas jacket.

LoggerDan

WKR
@pirogue -

no sir, I really don’t. I just know a lot of loggers in camp got tired of Filson bending them over for sub par goods and decided to do something about it. West coast logging is about the hardest thing you could put clothes through.
So, guys would render the toilet gasket down with some beeswax included and would coat their pants. It works pretty well. Boots got the regular treatment of Hubbard or obenaufs.

on a similar note, carhartt has fallen out of favor for quite a while for being cheaply made and for catering to women and hipsters. Most loggers wear Key Prison Blues.

2531usmc

WKR
If you're just looking to make a jacket more weatherproof, I've treated a Carhartt jacket with Otter Wax a few times. I like what it does. I suppose you could use almost any canvas jacket.
Not to ask a dumb question…..but is that what a “waxed jacket” really is? A canvas jacket with a wax application to make it waterproof?

What advantage would that have over a modern facbric like goretex? Is it simply appearance.….like a fashion statement?