AAE Plastifletch max 23 enough vane for fixed blade?

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I have two different vanes to test out. The plastifletch I mentioned and the stealth. Stealth are about twice as heavy as the plastifletch. Curious if people have much experience shooting plastifletch with a fixed blades or if I should just fletch up the stealth. My iron wills just showed up in the mail so haven’t had much opportunity to test them out.

Thanks for advice.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
It should be plenty but that's also going to be dependent on how well your bow is tuned and how big of a fixed blade do you plan on shooting. If you tune your bow to shoot a bareshaft, like in the pictures below (this was at 30 yards), then you generally can get by with very small fletchings, but if you don't tune your bow then you might need more fletching to get by.

Also you need to take in account surface area of your fixed head. A small 150 grain VanDieman or VPA 2 blade won't take near as much fletching as say something like a Silver Flame XXL (1.8" fixed blade).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 60

scp

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot Solid Broadheads—a design not far off Iron Will vented BHs—with PM23s. I used both 3 and 4 fletch 3deg helical options for testing. Neither one grouped as tightly as the 3x fletch Max Stealths. I really wanted the PM23s to be the vane I switched to. They are perfect for 3d, and I thought they’d do the trick in 4x fletch for a fixed BH, but they just didn’t perform as I’d hoped. I’ve run nearly all of AAEs vanes in testing and I just keep coming back to a 3x fletch Max Stealth. They are heavier, they are bigger, and they can be affected more by wind, but they have proven to be the most consistent for me when it comes to tuning BHs.

xcutter

WKR
Not the vane your shooting but should be a good reference. I'm shooting a 4 fletch with Blazer X2's. They are smaller than a normal blazer but fly great with my Trophy Taker A-TACS.

I’ve shot the AAA 23’s in a 4 fletch. They worked fine with fixed blades but the shot and tune had to be perfect

I find the taller vanes to do better with fixed blades. Currently using the pro max vanes as they are a little taller

mtnkid85

WKR
Im currently shooting them in 4 fletch with 125gr Stingers. They seem to be working fine, but I think they might be right on the edge. I generally can't see my arrow in flight but occasionally I think i see it fly wonky...

Anyway they tuned so Im going to continue with them.

TX_Diver

WKR
I had thought the pro max were some of the smaller ones AAE offered. Do you mean the max hunters with regards to the taller ones? I fletched up some arrows with the pro-max and would consider them pretty small. I ended up with the stealths as I'm sticking with my Magnus fixed blades for awhile longer.

I’ve shot the AAA 23’s in a 4 fletch. They worked fine with fixed blades but the shot and tune had to be perfect

I find the taller vanes to do better with fixed blades. Currently using the pro max vanes as they are a little taller

I had thought the pro max were some of the smaller ones AAE offered. Do you mean the max hunters with regards to the taller ones? I fletched up some arrows with the pro-max and would consider them pretty small. I ended up with the stealths as I'm sticking with my Magnus fixed blades for awhile longer.

The pro max are taller than the PM 23. But shorter length at 1.7”. They are .46 tall I believe. The pM 23 are .38 tall.

TX_Diver

WKR
The pro max are taller than the PM 23. But shorter length at 1.7”. They are .46 tall I believe. The pM 23 are .38 tall.

Yup. Had to go double check but you're definitely right. What fixed blades are you shooting with the pro max? I'm using 4 fletch max stealth this year but am already thinking about what I want to tinker with over the winter. What broadhead I run will likely be based on what tags I draw next year. If I draw elk I'll stay with my Magnus fixed blades, deer or antelope I want to try the Rage NCs...

Yup. Had to go double check but you're definitely right. What fixed blades are you shooting with the pro max? I'm using 4 fletch max stealth this year but am already thinking about what I want to tinker with over the winter. What broadhead I run will likely be based on what tags I draw next year. If I draw elk I'll stay with my Magnus fixed blades, deer or antelope I want to try the Rage NCs...

I like the max stealths Other than they are heavy. I’m shooting iron will heads. 4 of the pro max steer it just fine

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up trying 4 PM 23 and with an IW up front I couldn't get them to stabilize as much as I was hoping. I ended up going with 4 stealths. They are heavy that's for sure. Don't know my FOC but I would think its around 10-12ish percent. That isn't a driving force for me so I can live with it.

My bow might be little out of tune and those fletchings are having to work overtime to correct bad arrow flight. This could be why the PM 23 didn't work for me.