Accessory choosing for new archer

Jreinan01

FNG
So, I have never owned a bow before and I decided I want to got one. I went to a local archery shop and shot 9-10 bows being as open minded as possible. I believe I will be buying a Mathews VXR 28.5. I am having a very hard time even deciphering all of the options for sights, rests, etc. what are people’s recommendations? Part of me just says inexpensive until I know what I like or want. The other part of me knows it’s cheaper in the long run to buy once cry once. This will be a bow that I will target shoot with, whitetail and turkey hunt primarily. I also will have hopes of going out west to mule deer/elk hunt. I’m open to advice. Thanks in advance.

Good drop away rest (I'm partial to QAD). TightSpot quiver. Not a big fan of short stabilizers so at least 8". You may have to try several types of releases.

Rest: QAD HDX, Vapor trail, Hamske, ripcord, Trophy Taker, HHa
Sights, MBG, Hha, Spot Hogg
Quivers, tightspot, pretty much any two peice riser mounted quivers.

All three of my bows have HDX, MBG, Wickstick stabilizers and tight spot or elite two peice quivers.

I shot add that CBE makes some nice sights, quivers and stabilizers also

Shaffer is my favorite rest. But any quality drop away will do fine.
For sights, I would suggest a basic 5pin fixed.
Tight spot or alpine quiver.
Lots of good triggers, but make sure it has a buckle rather than Velcro wrist.
Try your bow without a stabilizer, you May find you don’t need one at all. If you it’s easy to add later

Some good options above.

- qad is good. A good rest is worth the $$$. Probably more than anything else.
- Go with a mid priced 5 pin fixed. Extra $$$ Ames them more durable but probably not any better.
- I like tight spot quivers too but there are others.
- I still have the same spot Hogg release I bought 5 years ago. Buckle. Stay away from Velcro.
- Forget the stabilizer for now. You can borrow a few to find one you like.
- runa wrist strap for $15

I originally put a 6 pin fixed sight on my backup bow. It was an MBG Rush so it had the same pins and housing as the adjustable. It was good but I ended up with another adjustable. If you ever or think you might shoot at longer distance say practice or targets, get the adjustable now. also whatever sight you get, pay attention to pin size and color. I'm not a big fan of red but that's me. I think .19 is a good size but I run .10 in my bottom pin or bottom two pins. The larger pins cover more of the target. For 40 yards or closer it isn't an issue for me. Also pay attention to brightness of the sights. Too bright can wash out the target and not bright enough are hard to see. The MBG sights have the photochromatic covers on the fiber optics so they adjust the brightness.

And one of these, maybe two.

Last edited:
You can always shoot bare bow from a springy rest Tim Wells seems to do pretty good.... save you $$$ in accessories too.....

The compound guys I hunt with that stay in the loop on all of the latest and greatest say that Vapor Trail limb driver rest is the ticket.

Plenty of deer have been killed with springy rests and cheapo 4 pin sights. Depends on how much you want to spend. If you are dropping over a grand on a bow you probably don't plan to go too low end.

Rest: QAD, Rip Cord, HHA, Limb Driver, are all good ones. I run a Rip Code and HHA, both perform as designed.

Sights: I run mid grade stuff by Trophy Ridge, and again, they perform as designed.

Stabilizers: So many brands, so many choices. This one will take you a bit to figure out what you like.

Quiver: I run a Trophy Ridge that is no longer made. Quieter and stiffer than the Tight Spot I tried, at nearly half the price.

Arrows: Gold Tip GT hunters. Great arrow, tough, relatively inexpensive. Lots of food choices available.

Release: I run Scott caliper style. Very smooth, adjustable, fit well. Get a buckle, not velcro, whatever you buy.

Most all of the accessories come from personal preference. Different people like different things. Some like fixed, some movers. Also movers can be a multiple pin or single pin. Stabilizer preference can vary a lot as well.

I'd suggest a decent middle of the road rest, I actually like the old trophy taker drop aways that can still be found cheap. Get a half dozen of cheap arrows to start with and the cheapest sight you can find either used or new. Then join a archery club. Should be able to find a few guys to help you along the way. Your going to need some coaching in shooting form and tuning. Also they will probably have equipment they aren't using you can try it to get an idea of what you actually like.

Watch the classified section here.

QAD rest, mathews quivers are great as are tree limb quivers. Both better then tite spot imo.I personally have had and seen more problems with tite spot quivers, and don’t use them any more. Sights , man there are a lot, I like HHA, Axcel, and I am trying my first spott Hogg. Just got it today, don’t have bow yet. Not sure I am going to like it. Right now, I don’t care for it like I thought I would. Arrows again a bunch, can’t go wrong with gold tip in one flavor or another. Dive in man, it’s an expensive endeavor. ( addiction)
You are going to get so many suggestions it’s going to drive you crazy, best bet is hang out at archery shops and ask people what they use. And you can get an idea of what’s popular. And watch you tube videos, although that is how I came about spott Hogg, now I wish I would have tried something else. Good luck !

Most all of the accessories come from personal preference. Different people like different things. Some like fixed, some movers. Also movers can be a multiple pin or single pin. Stabilizer preference can vary a lot as well.

I'd suggest a decent middle of the road rest, I actually like the old trophy taker drop aways that can still be found cheap. Get a half dozen of cheap arrows to start with and the cheapest sight you can find either used or new. Then join a archery club. Should be able to find a few guys to help you along the way. Your going to need some coaching in shooting form and tuning. Also they will probably have equipment they aren't using you can try it to get an idea of what you actually like.

Watch the classified section here.
This is great advice!

I’m sure someone will say otherwise, but look on eBay for a good used bow package. I picked up a used Bowtech Assassin package with case, arrows, and a release for $300 and shot it all last season. The guy had it as a backup bow and never hunted with it. Super easy to set up and lightweight. I bought some different arrows to hunt with, some broadheads, and a Yellow Jacket target and had a blast. Best part, I just sold it off-season on eBay and still got good money for it. It allowed me some time and experience to figure out what I like, and now building my dream bow. Long story short, seriously consider picking up a used bow package and just go have fun with it. Be picky, and only buy from highly rated sellers. Oh, and words from a local archery coach at the shop where I shoot: “you’re too focused on outcome, and not enough on process.” Learn how to shoot, and then wory about where your arrows are landing, and just have fun with it.

Last edited:
Having just upgraded from a Mission MXR to a Mathews VXR 28, all my old accessories swamped over - BlackGold 5 pin, Ripcord rest and Tightspot quiver. Since you're going to get the VXR, don't skimp on the rest of the parts and buy from your local shop. Continue to support them, visit them because when you're in need they're more likely to help you than the guy/gal that bought a package from someone online then expects to get proper 'treatment'.

I picked up my first bow in 2015. I didn’t have any local shops around, certainly not any that seemed willing to teach a new archer.

I will echo what others have said and say get a good rest. I run a Hamskea now, but QAD HDX is a great rest as well as many others.

If you’re on a budget or just wanting to try a couple different accessories that your local shop may not have, watch the classifieds here and on ArcheryTalk. Most of my accessories were second hand in new or excellent condition and I saved 50% or more.

I will second supporting your local shop if you have a good one with knowledge and willingness to teach.

I also just got my first bow. It was used set-up so I can only tell you what I've learned.

I would absolutely get the QAD rest again. Works perfect, easy set-up.

Black Gold single pin sight - this is where I'm not sure. I have it sighted in great but not sure how it will be hunting. I think if I were to buy now after a lot of practice I may go with a double pin.

The tight spot quiver is nice, can't imagine there would be much difference in this regard.

For release I went with Tru Ball Beast II with swept trigger. I love the open style release. I tried a caliper style and did not like it.

I agree that if you are buying the bow new, if I were you, I'd absolutely buy the rest and sight through the shop and have them set it up. I've spent many hours doing it myself and it has taken a lot of research. Have them do it and watch and learn as much as you can.

Back