To Upgrade or not - based on Axle to Axle

Good evening - I just learned something I'm a little frustrated I wasn't told years ago OR more likely I was told and the information didn't stick.
I bought a Mathews VXR28 and have really enjoyed the bow though I haven't shot it as much as I should have the last 18 months.

I was just talking with a man who has shot a lot longer than me and he showed me his 35" AtA bow and we were talking about why he decided to go with a bow that long. I didn't realize that longer bows decrease your error inputs. I bought the 28" because I thought it would be shorter and slightly lighter for packing.
Now I have shot some good groups out to 60 and 70 yards with my VXR but now I'm considering buying a new 33"-34" bow and gaining the forgiveness of a longer bow. Wondering what the overall thoughts from everyone are - is it worth the upgrade or not?
Currently shooting a 28.5" Draw Length - Last time I checked drawing 69.9#s.

Thanks in Advance.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Look at target archery. The bows used in that space are often 38in or more AtoA. Why?

Inherently, as you extend then those two points further apart, the more stable the platform becomes (in the realm of practicality).

In hunting, everything is a compromise. Is a 20lb gun more stable? Yes. Are you going to lug it around the mtns? Probably not.

That’s a decision for you to make. Do you hunt out of a blind often? If yes, then maybe you need a short bow. Treestand guy? Maybe a long bow isn’t practical for clearance purposes.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
You are probably mostly right - biggest drop in consistency is not shooting the bow every day the last 18 months as I had in 2020 and 2021. Need to find a better solution for the 7 months of winter and the dark before and after work.

I've never been in a tree stand or a ground blind - so those haven't been considerations. For me it was mostly the thought of packing through the brush. Funny enough my arrows still stick out a few inches past the bow so I'm still getting caught on stuff.

I'll probably head to the shop and try a couple of bows to see if I feel any difference and if I see anything worth the hundreds of dollars to change.

Thanks Guys for your input.* (edited instead of 2nd post)

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the other guys as well. If you shoot it well, why change. You would probably sacrifice some speed in a bigger ATA bow at your draw length as well.

Zac

WKR
Your already a gonner if your gonna start shooting new bows. There is a lot more to look at than just ATA. Brace height, and reflex are also important if your trying to achieve more forgiveness.

Last edited:
OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Your already a gonner if your gonna start shooting new bows.
Maybe - If I don't feel any difference then I will stick with mine.
it has been a good shooting bow for me. I also have been thinking about dropping poundage - from 70 to 60. But that is just a change out obviously. Either way I'll have to resight my bow.

WCB

WKR
For a couple years I went to a light weight shorter bow for the same reasons you state in regards to packing...shot good with it but going back to a heavier longer ATA bow even with the same brace height I am way more consistent (and overall shoot better).

My bow previous to the shorter lighter bow was longer and heavier but had a shorter brace height and was a single cam....and I was still more consistent and shot better. 1lb of weight on my back is irrelevant when it comes to weapon system AND in my case 3+ more length is a non issue.

But as you said....practice is #1. And imo until you get a bow set up exactly how you like it and shoot it...it is really hard to tell if you will benefit.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
@WCB fair point, shooting daily is the biggest difference. I need to setup a way to shoot easier when it is cold and dark. I know some guys shoot a couple shots in their garage - but my garage space is only like 20'.
Maybe it would be better than nothing. Need a good bag to stop an arrow at that distance though!

Scoot

WKR
This one is very easy for me-- I shoot longer ATA bows better than shorter ones. I think the benefits of a shorter ATA bow are typically exaggerated a lot and the 1-3" difference in ATA makes little in the things that supposedly make it so much better (better in a blind, better in the stand, etc.) I would argue most (not all) people will shoot longer bows better, but I guarantee some will chime in and say "not me" to that. All things being equal, the majority of folks will shoot a 34" bow better than a 30" bow. That's certainly not to say that you can't shoot a 30" bow well. 34-36" bows are my wheelhouse and I really like them.

Je942010

FNG
You need to shoot them back to back from a seated position or like you would out of your stand to really see if it makes a difference to you. ATA and brace height are just 1 part of it. My Rx1 is a number 2 cam and they are smaller and more aggressive, my Rx7 ultra has Type s turbo cams that are 1.25” bigger than my Rx1 cams. May not seem like a big difference but the Rx7 ultra is 34” ata vs the Rx1 at 32” and with the cams rolled over on the draw board the string angle coming off the cams is a lot more than 2” bigger by the listed ata. Look at the cams on your VXR 28 when your at full draw, look where your string is actually coming off the bow. If your shooting it well id keep it. I’ve been through close to 20 different bows in the last 10 years from buying, trying and selling on Archerytalk and the advertised numbers that I tried to talk myself into being the next best thing didn’t always pan out.

nphunter

WKR
I went from shooting a 33" ATA bow to a 29" ATA bow, I shot it less accurately and I shoot a lot, all of the other specs should have made the bow more accurate, longer BH, wider limb pockets and bigger cams yet I shoot it worse than my previous few bows.

I know I started shooting worse with the short bow and I’m a 27.5-28” draw. I kind of thought that maybe I was just getting older and not shooting as well. However, I bought my 17yr old kid a new bow and was setting it up for him and his current bow for his younger brother. While sighting in their bows I was shooting much easier small groups than what I shoot with my own bow. Their bows were 34” & 37” ATA. I had to try hard to shoot my bow as well as their two bows which just stacked arrows it seemed with ease.

My bow is bare shaft tuned, group tuned and I shoot it all the time out to 100+ yards on my range. The longer bows weren’t even set at my draw length and neither were even really tuned at all but they just stacked arrows for me.

Anyway I’m convinced that I don’t shoot the short ATA bow as well as my previous coupe longer ATA bows and sold it right after hunting season. I’m currently building myself a short draw 34” ATA bow.

My favorite ATA is 34-35 and I won’t go under 33. But that’s just me. I like the string angle and the platform is usually more forgiving. Longer bows typically have a higher brace height which I prefer too.

I torque far less on a long bow. And it’s definitely more forgiving at long range.

Go shoot some longer bows and see how they feel to you. If they fit you, it’s always “worth it” to have new gear.

Zac

WKR
Maybe - If I don't feel any difference then I will stick with mine.
it has been a good shooting bow for me. I also have been thinking about dropping poundage - from 70 to 60. But that is just a change out obviously. Either way I'll have to resight my bow.
Really? What do you expect. Of course the new bows are going to “feel” better. You think shooting at 5 feet without a stab or a sight is going to tell you anything? No one should ever change anything based off of one spec. You got fixated on a measurement that was impregnated in your mind when there wasn’t a problem to begin with. Bottom line is that you shoot that bow well. That should be the end of the discussion.

4rcgoat

WKR
@WCB fair point, shooting daily is the biggest difference. I need to setup a way to shoot easier when it is cold and dark. I know some guys shoot a couple shots in their garage - but my garage space is only like 20'.
Maybe it would be better than nothing. Need a good bag to stop an arrow at that distance though!
20' garage is enough. If you can,get a box roughly 16 x16 or so,fill it full of old clothes( no buttons or zippers) pack it as full as possible, REALLY full. Set it up on something shoulder height. You typically don't need a sight at close range(10 ' or less). Draw a small circle with sharpie marker,aim at that small circle and shoot with good form,doesn't really matter where the arrow lands,just try to repeat that shot over and over
The object is to get that arrow to enter the same hole as many times as possible. At that distance you can also try shooting with eyes closed,working on form without the distraction of the target.

fatlander

WKR
I don’t see how it’s possible for you to shoot a 28” ata bow at 28.5” draw length without having to duck your head into the string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
I'm with @Zac on this one. There's no way to tell if a bow is "forgiving" based on specs, and "feel" has nothing at all to do with putting arrows where intended. The ONLY way to determine if a new bow is better than the old bow is to objectively shoot it for a fair bit of time and compare scores. Like 10 scored days or more.

I don't buy into ATA, BH, or other stuff on a spec sheet telling me how accurate I'll shoot a bow. There's probably a spec that isn't measured or can't accurately be measured that is more indicative. Nock travel/nock path, riser deflection, come to mind.

regardless of what anyone says, a longer ata is going to hold better past 60 yards regardless of draw length. its just going to its the nature of the beast. its not the only factor there are alot of other factors that go into this, but i would suggest going to a longer ata always.

180ls1

WKR
It'll make a huge difference. 31" draw and I hunt with a 39" bow. I recently moved down to a 34" bow and immediately regretted it. Went right back to 39".

On paper at the range it makes a difference but where the longer more forgiving bows shine is hunting. When things arent perfect, form, stance, breathing, shot process etc...

I'll gladly carry the extra 0.5lb and 5" as it probably extends my effective range 20 yards or so.