Accuracy with the no excuses 50 Cal 460gr bullet

yousowise

FNG
Went and tried out the no excuses 460gr bullet yesterday. Couldn't get it to group at all. Half my shots hit the box half didn't at only 50 yards. Was using 90gr fff, then backed it down to 80 with no improvement. I've read since that may have been too hot. Shooting a Knight bighorn, it's a 1 moa gun at 100 shooting harvester sabots and 300gr hornady xtp's. I plan on reducing the load and adding a wad between the powder and bullet. Has anyone else had similar problems? Have you been able to get decent accuracy? Besides the reduced loads and wad is there anything else you would recommend doing?

Update. Went back out yesterday and shot, I lightened my load to 70gr FFG and added a traditions wonder wad between the powder and bullet. Shot a 2 inch group at 50yds using a peep. I was much happier, I didn't have a lot of time to experiment but am now confident that with some minor adjustments this will be a good Idaho legal elk bullet. Maybe this will help others that may have the same problem.

I don't know enough to know exactly why they weren't flying with the hotter loads. Next time I will increase the loads and see how high I can go with the wonder wads before accuracy falls apart.

Got to shoot a little today. Shot groups using 70, 75, and 80 gr of FFG. Groups were 2 1/4, 2, and1 5/8 inches however the 80gr group only consisted of 2 shots, I forgot to use the wonder wad on one shot and that one didn't hit the target at all. The wonder wads make a world of difference with these bullets. I also tried 70 gr of FFFG the group opened up quite a bit, I didn't bother meassuring it. I would post a pic but it is not uploading for me.
Ben

A few years back I was shooting these out of a White M97 with Pyrodex P(it was suggested by someone who shoots White rifles). I had no issues getting 1-2" groups at 100 with open sights. I do not remember the powder charge but believe it was around 100gr. This particular rifle used #11 caps.

I was thinking of trying those no excuses with my wolverine, thanks for the reports. How tight does the bullet fit the barrel?

I am a little concerned with bullet fit. I haven't shot a whole box yet but within my box fit has been somewhat variable. Some go down with very little force, but not so little that I would be concerned of the bullet coming off the powder. Most load with a bit more force, and a few I really have to push to get them down.

I am a little concerned with bullet fit. I haven't shot a whole box yet but within my box fit has been somewhat variable. Some go down with very little force, but not so little that I would be concerned of the bullet coming off the powder. Most load with a bit more force, and a few I really have to push to get them down.

You might get a better fit with Bull Shop conicals. He will size your bullet to the size you want. If the NExcuse is some loose he uses a .503 sizer Dan can size them to .504 and they would fit tighter.

Or you could roll your NExcuses between to mill files and create your own knurling which will increase the diameter of the bullet and make it fit tighter.

I am okay with the fit even the easy ones fit tight enough for me. What I don't like is the variability. If they were all the same that would be great.

Could be, but when I use the wonder wad they seem to all group together regardless of fit. The wad is a thick piece of wool cloth cut to the diameter of my barrel. I think the idea is it protects the base of the bullet from becoming disfigured by the burning powder.

I use the NE 460g in a Knight Mountaineer with Black Horn 209 and a "Magnum Muzzleloader Products Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base". Sabotloader suggested these wads and they seem to work well for my rifle. I use 80g charge and the one bench session I had with a scope mounted on the rifle delivered "one hole" groups at 50 yards. With open sights I can manage 4 inch groups at 140 yards.

MMP SABOTS : Store : 50 Cal BBSB Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base

Back