Active insulation vs grid fleece

I’m planning for 2022 and hopefully will hunt 3rd/4th season CO (depending on point creep). To not be too specific, we’re deciding between a couple units in the San Juan or Umcompaghre national forests.

I currently have a few grid fleeces that serve me well in AZ and NM but I’ve heard good things about active insulation layers (eg patagucci nano air, arcteryx proton) when it’s extra cold. What conditions favor active “puffy” jackets vs grid fleece? And since the price is fairly comparable, how do the hunting brands (Kuiu kenai, Sitka kelvin active) compare to hiking brands esp in breathability?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grid fleece for archery, active insulation for rifle seasons. I really liked the first generation kenai (except the hood). Kenai over a light merino was perfect for low activity chilly mornings (25-40degrees) but overkill for any moderate hiking (the pit zips help though). What I haven’t figured out yet is during rifle seasons the kenai wasn’t enough for long sits but it won’t fit under a true puffy without upsizing which makes my shell too small. I guess you can just take off the kenai and put on a puffy (just doesn’t jive with my ocd of layering). The kelvin active is thinner and would layer better. I don’t know it’s warmth or how well it breathes since all I did was try it on with other layers. For the price I can’t imagine it does much better than a couple select base and mid layers. Neither would be very durable, grid fleece wins that category especially if you have one designed for climbing/mountaineering.

I have a Sitka “active” jacket. It is a nice piece but I just can’t find a great use for it. The temp range between when I am comfortable in a grid fleece to when I want a thicker puffy like my kelvin light jacket is pretty narrow. I run warm, especially when moving so if I am not stationary I need to strip down or I will sweat. it’s preference, but the active jacket just didn’t see a lot of use by me. I did run it one trip with the active and a kelvin vest. That was a nice combo with a lot more range for dfiferent temps.

I have a Sitka “active” jacket. It is a nice piece but I just can’t find a great use for it. The temp range between when I am comfortable in a grid fleece to when I want a thicker puffy like my kelvin light jacket is pretty narrow. I run warm, especially when moving so if I am not stationary I need to strip down or I will sweat. it’s preference, but the active jacket just didn’t see a lot of use by me. I did run it one trip with the active and a kelvin vest. That was a nice combo with a lot more range for dfiferent temps.

The Active + aerolite vest is my plan this year for Utah. I'll have the core LW hoodie and apex hoodie on normally and use those 2 as needed.

Caveating my response since I don’t own a true “active insulation” piece but I’ve found the best combo for the weight to be a grid fleece paired with a lightweight windshirt (Patagonia Houdini or BD alpine start or similar). You’re under a pound for the combo and it covers a wide range of temps. I tend to run hot when moving so will frequently wear only the windshirt when hiking unless it’s pretty cold. When it gets super cold I’ll add a synthetic puffy vest and I find that to be plenty (and we hit some COLD temps in CO the last two years). The vest is part of my glassing insulation system so I have anyway

I like the idea of a dedicated active insulation piece for a day hunt but haven’t been able to justify it for backpack hunts when the above combo is so versatile. However if you run cold even when moving I could see how an active insulation piece would make a lot of sense in later seasons especially if you don’t carry a vest like I do

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I own a couple of grid fleece pieces and a couple of active insulation pieces. What I've found is that the active insulation pieces (not all active insulation pieces are created equal though) are warmer for the weight and dry faster.

The grid fleece is more durable and layer more easily as they fit a little closer. They'll also be less expensive.

If I'm hunting in thick timber I'll generally wear the grid fleece, less chance of snagging and getting a tear.

If not, I'm usually wearing the active insulation pieces.

I've found the active insulation pieces I own are a little more tolerant of wind (light wind) vs grid fleece, but will typically carry a windshirt either way.