Adult Tonsillectomy

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
My wife did. It did not seem fun. She had surgery for deviated septum at the same time. She is tough - didn't take any pain meds (not even a Tylenol) during child birth kinda tough. The tonsillectomy and deviated septum surgery knocked her down for a couple weeks. She’s glad she did it though.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
My surgeon asked me if I was ready for the worst surgery I've ever had.

I said worse than back, shoulder, knee, reconstruction? She said without a doubt.

Long Cut

WKR
Was 22 when mine were removed. 14 days soft food, extremely painful. My tonsils got infected, I needed them removed.

MT257

WKR
They are nothing but traps for bacteria. You’ll likely be sick much less after having them removed.

TxxAgg

WKR
I did it at 25 (or 26).

It sucked big time for about 3 weeks. It was worse because I did deviated septum and adenoids/uvula at the same time. But, yeah, it hurts and you won't want to eat for a month.

CorbLand

WKR
I got mine out when I was five or six. I don’t remember it being too bad.

Loco4dux

WKR
Got mine out in highschool. It was pretty rough. Ended up in the ER two weeks after surgery when the “scabs” came off or something, rolled into the ER spewing blood into a trash can, shirt covered in blood. Bleeding stopped on its own thankfully so they didn’t have to re-cauterize. Terrible experience. But it did fix the constant infections.

7mm-08

WKR
Good luck with this surgery, which is a damned tough one according to a few adult friends who have told me about it. The common theme with them (and above) is that you'll be glad you did it a few months from now.

rclouse79

WKR
My wife had it done and was miserable for a couple weeks. I made the mistake of looking at the back of her throat after the procedure. Just typing that last line made me puke in my mouth a little bit.

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I go in March 4th to get mine taken out. I’m 37. It’s going to be rough but figured if the next 40 years of my life are better, then it’s worth it.

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
had the surgery at 6 years old and again at 30. Yes, it can happen...the second one was the most miserable pain i've ever encountered. for about 7-10 days. Indescribable pain. Good news is I haven't been sick in over two decades since, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Seeknelk

WKR
I had mine removed at 40 since they were going in to remove a periodontal absess that had crippled me for about 10 days till it was diagnosed. The surgery wasn't bad at all , in fact at that point all I wanted was to be put out for a long long time. The scabbyness wasn't great for a couple weeks at the most. But maybe I was just so relieved the jaw, ear and in general-headaches were gone.
Having an ENT try twice to relieve the absess with a needle in the roof of the mouth is overrated.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I go in March 4th to get mine taken out. I’m 37. It’s going to be rough but figured if the next 40 years of my life are better, then it’s worth it.
I go in April 1. Was March 4th or April 1. I chose April do to work.

PNWGATOR

WKR
It hurts.

STOOL SOFTENERS and hydration!

Start the stool softeners EARLY!

Swallowing water is hard. Drink it anyway. A lot of it.

Regularly.

Worth it in the end.

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I go in April 1. Was March 4th or April 1. I chose April do to work.
I was supposed to go mid January but I had a little congestion so they wouldn’t put me under. Apparently you don’t recover from anesthesia as good if you have congestion. March worked out really good for work timing so it was kind of a blessing.

dubllung4

FNG
I've had 6 knee surgeries, including two pretty serious osteotomies. Short term, the tonsillectomy was worse. I went from ~155lbs down to less than 130 in a couple weeks. Keep an eye out for clots. I was a "rare" case and coughed one up about a week post op. This opened the flood gates and after several attempts to cauterize while I was awake, they ended up doing another surgery to get the bleeding stopped. You can imagine how fun it is having a cautery tool shoved down your throat while puking blood.

Not trying to scare you, but it sucked. I very rarely get sick now, so that's good I guess.