Advice on first pair of Binos

jbuzz229

FNG
Looking for advice on a good first pair of binos for my first elk season. Hoping to keep the price tag between $200-300. Any recommendations would be super helpful.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking for advice on a good first pair of binos for my first elk season. Hoping to keep the price tag between $200-300. Any recommendations would be super helpful.

Buy once, cry once… that’s all I got.

My first pair in high school were Nikon Monarch 10x42, I think they were in $250 range? Look at Vortex too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roughnecknine0

Lil-Rokslider
Used pair of Maven C1 8x42 or 10x42 would be pretty sweet. Recently looked through my buddy’s Athlon Midas G2 10x42 and was super impressed with those. To be honest I liked the Midas more than my C1 10x42 because it had a wider FOV.

TSimons9

FNG
Buy once cry once is the popular response for a reason.

That being said the I recently had a chance to look through a pair of Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 and those would be a good pair of starter binos. I think they are around $500 though.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Buy once cry once is the popular response for a reason.

That being said the I recently had a chance to look through a pair of Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 and those would be a good pair of starter binos. I think they are around $500 though.

Exactly!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I understand that high end optics are better. Especially the longer you plan on looking through them. However I still use a cheaper pair of Vortex binos for a lot of hunts. I've looked through high end optics and they would be nice, but I don't plan on spending thousands on binoculars. Don't let people make you feel bad if that is the budget you have. There are plenty of them you will be happy with in that price range. Maven, Vortex, and Athlon all have decent options for under $500.

ODB

WKR
Look for a used set of Vortex Viper 10x42 - made in Japan. Good glass for the money.

also have a pair of Maven B3 8x30 and they are also good for the money.

I’m in the “spend the $ on good glass” camp, but IMO that really starts at the $1k MSRP range (deals can be had).

With a $200-$300 budget, I’d lean towards staying on the lower end but not junk range like Vortex Diamondbacks or Leupold Yosemite’s (both better and cheaper if 6x will do it for you).

Upgrade down the line to something in the lower Euro range when you can swing it and the $200 ones can be a truck/loaner/backup pair.

If you chase the $200, then $350, then $500, then $700, then $1,000 pairs, selling at a loss as you go, you could have just bought Swaros.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
If you go the vortex route, diamondbacks are great value. I find that the distance in optical quality between diamondback and viper is much much smaller than the distance between viper and razor. In short, when going vortex, either pony up for razors or stick to diamondbacks.

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of 10X42 Monarch Nikon 5's that work pretty well. I am working toward getting really good glass, but until I can afford them, I have been pretty pleased with my Nikons. I have had them for seven or eight years and they have served me well. I think I got them at Cabelas for a little over $200 on sale.