Sig Zulu 6 IS Bino vs Vortex UHD 10x42 for chest binos

fittohunt

FNG
This isn't really an apples to apples comparison, but I'm looking to upgrade my chest binos this off-season. I do primarily archery elk hunt in more timbered areas. And I own a pair of swaro 15s and a solid tripod. So, I'm trying to decide if I should go with a smaller pair of IS binos vs some 10's or 8X vortex UHD.. It seems to me the IS binos would be superior for hand holding appications. The biggest concern I have is regarding the F.O.V. I do love to have a wider FOV with 10's or even 8's on my chest. And then just carry my 15's and a tripod, if I intend on glassing from a fixed postion..

Thoughts, experiences?

I just RO'ed a two day NRL Hunter match with a pair of Sig Sauer ZULU6 HDX 12x42mm Image Stabilized bino's. We used some older Cannon Image Stabilized binos to setup the course of fire. For the money I thought the sigs held their own with the Cannons. Nice niche piece of kit.

180ls1

WKR
IS and Swaro 15's are just about unbeatable. I would definitely go that route. I hunted a bunch this year and the IS 10's are by far my favorite. The 20x IS ones, not so much.

nobody

WKR
What @JGRaider said above. Plus, if you’re archery hunting you won’t want the 12 or 16x in the timber. Wide field of view would be my recommendation, and the IS binos don’t have that. The Sig’s are neat, but I’d recommend 10’s or 8’s for what you are looking to do. Those UHD 10’s would be great for your use case. Or a pair of 9x Maven B2’s or something similar.

OP
F

fittohunt

FNG
IS and Swaro 15's are just about unbeatable. I would definitely go that route. I hunted a bunch this year and the IS 10's are by far my favorite. The 20x IS ones, not so much.
So, you like the overal FOV with the 10s best?

180ls1

WKR
So, you like the overal FOV with the 10s best?

Yes, while limited the IS makes up for it. I came from 8x Monarch HG with 435' FOV.

The upper powered ones are too much for your chest and give up a lot for really picking apart things. Hence the sig 10x and 15x swaro is literally perfect.

It depends on what of country you hunt. For me the perfect combo would be my Zulu 16’s and maybe even 8X range finding binos.

I’ve been running these for a few hunts and my Rangefinder binos stay in the pouch unless ranging, and my Maven 15’s and tripod stay put away unless planning to glass for >1 hour.

These things are total game changers and you will likely not use other glass much, unless you’re setting up for extended, single location glassing sessions.

The glass is fine. FOV is limited and low light is meh.

For reference we were trying to confirm a Barbary sheep shaped brown cactus was in fact not a sheep at around 1600 yds. Couldn’t quite tell with the Zulu 16’s or Maven 15’s on a tripod. Swaro BTX 95mm setup just barely allowed us to confirm. That’s around 35x magnification with alpha glass? Beautiful glass but only marginally more effective in actual real world scenario.

If they had built in range finding that’s all I would run.

OP
F

fittohunt

FNG
It depends on what of country you hunt. For me the perfect combo would be my Zulu 16’s and maybe even 8X range finding binos.

I’ve been running these for a few hunts and my Rangefinder binos stay in the pouch unless ranging, and my Maven 15’s and tripod stay put away unless planning to glass for >1 hour.

These things are total game changers and you will likely not use other glass much, unless you’re setting up for extended, single location glassing sessions.

The glass is fine. FOV is limited and low light is meh.

For reference we were trying to confirm a Barbary sheep shaped brown cactus was in fact not a sheep at around 1600 yds. Couldn’t quite tell with the Zulu 16’s or Maven 15’s on a tripod. Swaro BTX 95mm setup just barely allowed us to confirm. That’s around 35x magnification with alpha glass? Beautiful glass but only marginally more effective in actual real world scenario.

If they had built in range finding that’s all I would run.
I assume the range finding capability is important to you because you do a lot of longe range rifle shooting.. Is that correct?

I assume the range finding capability is important to you because you do a lot of longe range rifle shooting.. Is that correct?

Yes I primarily shoot from 400-600 yds. Rangefinders are a must for me, and honestly considering going to a handheld dedicated unit to run Zulus as primary.