Advice on new pocket binoculars

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a pair of Minox 10x25 binoculars for over 20 years. I have always kept them in the right hip belt pocket on my backpack. Been my favorite set up for my style of hunting. The Minox are plain wore out. I got a pair of 10x42 Vortex last year with a bino harness. Although they are really nice and I like them for certain things , that set up is not near as handy as the 10x25’s for the majority of my needs.

I want to get a new pair of 10x25’s. Looking for some first hand experience from anyone who has used any of the better 10x25’s (or approximately that size. Thought about 8x also.). I have also thought about 30’s instead of 25’s, but wondering if they will be larger than I am looking for. I want these to fit in a Kifaru medium belt pouch with enough room so a small head lamp and a small grunt tube will also fit and can be accessed reasonably quickly. Kind of between Swarovski or Leica. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thank you. -Rufus

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
You could consider some of the compact offerings by Maven, they have a variety of sizes and price points. These C.2 are probably the most budget friendly.

The B.3 get great reviews including this one:

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the zeiss victory pocket 8x25. They’re phenomenal—much better view than any pocket bino I’ve ever used
Second. Truly awesome. Guide friends of mine I recommended them too rave about them as well. As good as my full size binos in virtually all uses. If they had a range finder on them I wouldn't take full size binos at all hunting.

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ll throw in another vote for the Maven B3’s, I’ve been using a pair of 8x30’s for two seasons but they’re also available in a 10.

Maven also released the B7’s this year, 8x25 or 10x25.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Have not tried the little Zeiss, do not like the little Swarovski, love the little Ultravid.

Swaro.

I have a pair of the CL Pockets. Absolutely amazing bino. I use them 95% of the time.

Great bino to use with glasses if you wear them.

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Have not tried the little Zeiss, do not like the little Swarovski, love the little Ultravid.
Hi Steve O. Just curious as to what you didn’t like about the Swarovski’s. They are expensive, so want to hear all the good and bad before make a decision. Thanks. -Rufus

When purchasing my compacts I tested out the Zeiss Victory 10x, Swarovski 10x25, Swaro 8x25, and the Leica Ultavid 10x.

The Swarovski 10x25 was the easy overall winner for me. Optically the Swaro was first with Zeiss second and Leica a distant third (for my eyes). Ergonomics and feel on the Swaro are amazing, and it perfectly fits in the side pouch of my Exo K3. The Zeiss feel was good, but because of the off center hinge it did not fit in my pouch very well. The Leica was fine in this area and if the optics had been better then it would’ve been a closer contender to the Swaro.

The Swarovski also came with its own nice case that I use on my other backpacks. The Zeiss came with the worst “pouch” ever that was pretty much unusable.

This was two years ago, so things may have changed since then. All I know is that whenever someone tries out my Swaro 10x25’s the next words out of their mouth are how amazing they are.

eamyrick

WKR
Loved my little Swaros in 8x. About to get another pair. They are perfect for Turkey hunting and backpacking when you wouldn’t normally pack 10x42s.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
That should have said “did not”; years ago when I was looking at the minis, the Swaros had the focus knob on the front, that was ergonomically incorrect to me. I did not know they revamped them.

I have been using a pair of Minox 10x25 binoculars for over 20 years. I have always kept them in the right hip belt pocket on my backpack. Been my favorite set up for my style of hunting. The Minox are plain wore out. I got a pair of 10x42 Vortex last year with a bino harness. Although they are really nice and I like them for certain things , that set up is not near as handy as the 10x25’s for the majority of my needs.

I want to get a new pair of 10x25’s. Looking for some first hand experience from anyone who has used any of the better 10x25’s (or approximately that size. Thought about 8x also.). I have also thought about 30’s instead of 25’s, but wondering if they will be larger than I am looking for. I want these to fit in a Kifaru medium belt pouch with enough room so a small head lamp and a small grunt tube will also fit and can be accessed reasonably quickly. Kind of between Swarovski or Leica. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thank you. -Rufus
I've used the 20mm version of the Nikon HGL which you can order through Japan. They have a 25mm which I have to imagine have to be equally as good if not better. They're basically alpha pocket glass or close to it for half the price -- however they have one fatal drawback ... they have the focuser on the front of the binos near the objective end. This might be make or break for some people.

For me I initially hated it but quickly grew accustomed to it. On the one hand there's something intuitive about the ergonomic setup. On the other hand, there's also something not intuitive about it in that you use your "ring" finger to focus so it's not as fast or clean as it could be. At least not in the beginning.

That said, optically I don't think you will be disappointed with the views. We live in a world of compromises sometimes until we find the right thing.

Hi Steve O. Just curious as to what you didn’t like about the Swarovski’s. They are expensive, so want to hear all the good and bad before make a decision. Thanks. -Rufus
If you can swing it, buy a couple of the top contenders and compare side by side, and return the ones you don’t want to keep. Ergonomics are pretty important with the pocket binos. For me the zeiss victory pockets just stood out and were so natural feeling to my eyes. The eye cups feel like a full size bin. I was also using the 8x25 version which I would recommend over the 10x due to the already compromised exit pupil on the pocket sized bins.

Hwcopley

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got 2 pairs of the zeiss and they are great. I’ve got an old pair that ride in my turkey vest and another that I keep in my truck. My dad has a pair as well and well we’ve enjoyed the heck out of them.

centershot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of Leica Ultravid 8X20's that I purchased from Cameraland last year and have not used like I thought I would. If you are interested in those PM me.