Airline Travel with TSA locks - Experiences

MattB

WKR
For an upcoming trip I am considering flying with a couple of shotguns in an SKB bow case. It only has TSA locks with no place to put padlocks.

I am interested in experiences of people who did this and whether there was any pushback from either airline personnel or TSA agents?

OP
M

MattB

WKR
We have TSA locks on all of our newer suitcases. I have flown with pistol or ammo in them with no problems.
Did you have the pistol in a separate locked container within the suitcase with TSA locks?

As long as you have TSA locks you’re good to go. I wouldn’t do another case inside of a tsa case that they cannot access. I always hide an Apple AirTag as well. I use the pelican cases and two tsa locks with a tie wrap in the handle so I know if it’s been opened. Never had an issue.

slimbw3

FNG
I recently flew with my rifle in a pelican. I used two TSA locks and it was pretty seamless. I flew United and they were good, only added a couple extra minutes. Downside, it was the last item released at baggage claim.

I just flew over the holiday’s with a shotgun in a heavy duty Plano case. It was locked with four small brass locks from Ace Hardware with no issues at all. Once you lock your case during the baggage check process there should be no need for anyone to open it, in fact I’d prefer TSA not to be opening it. I’ve used this method a couple of times with no issues.

tony

WKR
Greg is a cool dude and travels a lot.
Search travel on his site. Lot of good experience with guns and flying.

OP
M

MattB

WKR
I just flew over the holiday’s with a shotgun in a heavy duty Plano case. It was locked with four small brass locks from Ace Hardware with no issues at all. Once you lock your case during the baggage check process there should be no need for anyone to open it, in fact I’d prefer TSA not to be opening it. I’ve used this method a couple of times with no issues.
Our local airport (San Jose) is unfortunately one that has the TSA screening behind closed doors. If you use non-TSA locks (which I usually do when transporting a pistol) they ask you to hang out at the check-in counter for 15 minutes in case TSA needs your keys to open the case.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
The last time I flew with my SKB was a year or two ago - after TSA changed the rules to permit TSA accessible locks. I used “regular” locks that had a key only I could access. No problem for me. I’ve also had to do the same as you describe for San Jose (in Charleston SC and Omaha).

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I flew during Thanksgiving with my rifle I had it in a pelican case with two Hornady tsa approved locks. They are cable padlocks. One side is combination and the otherside is tsa key. So they don’t mess with your combination. Here at DFW tsa has to check your case again. Same in Philadelphia on the way back. They did ask me today until they completed the check to make sure they didn’t need anything else. I have also flown with a SKB bow case that had locks built in. It was no problem.

Art Fern

FNG
I just flew with shotguns and pistols yesterday through JetBlue. TSA website says you can use any lock to secure the case. Like others said, you have to wait at the counter if your locks are not TSA locks. I used a combination of keyed and TSA locks. No pushback with either option.

Make sure you check the airline’s firearm policy. They can be different than TSA.

Our local airport (San Jose) is unfortunately one that has the TSA screening behind closed doors. If you use non-TSA locks (which is usually do when transporting a pistol) they ask you to hang out at the check-in counter for 15 minutes in case TSA needs your keys to open the case.
they gave me a hard time in oakland with this too. As someone who has flown out of multiple airports with firearms (normally hard case with my own non tsa locks) it made no sense. I told the guy you can open it right here and check it (in maui and new orleans airline gate agents just tell when gtg) and he said we don't want to freak anyone out and i said ok i'll go in the back and with you and open it and he said no you can't do that either. we need the combo to your locks . I said I'm the only one supposed to be able to open it why would I give you my combo and showed him the tsa regs that said this. It made no sense.. I let it go after I got all his info knowing that they hold all the power but it is confusing. nothing was stolen but the idiots couldnt close my case correctly but scopes seemed to still be ok.

So that's a thing now? TSA can go through all your stuff behind closed doors? I always thought you weren't supposed to use tsa locks for exactly that reaon?

OP
M

MattB

WKR
they gave me a hard time in oakland with this too. As someone who has flown out of multiple airports with firearms (normally hard case with my own non tsa locks) it made no sense. I told the guy you can open it right here and check it (in maui and new orleans airline gate agents just tell when gtg) and he said we don't want to freak anyone out and i said ok i'll go in the back and with you and open it and he said no you can't do that either. we need the combo to your locks . I said I'm the only one supposed to be able to open it why would I give you my combo and showed him the tsa regs that said this. It made no sense.. I let it go after I got all his info knowing that they hold all the power but it is confusing. nothing was stolen but the idiots couldnt close my case correctly but scopes seemed to still be ok.

So that's a thing now? TSA can go through all your stuff behind closed doors? I always thought you weren't supposed to use tsa locks for exactly that reaon?
It’s been a thing for a couple of years now. Their rules strike me as ambiguous and potentially contradictory, but they very clearly state that TSA-recognized locks are acceptable.

“You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.”

fwafwow

WKR

I had the same argument in Charleston. The head TSA officer acknowledged the TSA rule (keep your key in your possession) but she said there is also a rule that requires secure areas without passengers. (Her argument / but obviously not required in some airports). She ultimately gave me two options - hand over the keys or choose not to fly.

Part of me thinks interactions like these were part of the reason they changed to allow TSA locks (which obviously can be opened without out our presence).

I always fly with TSA-stamped combo locks. I recently had an airline agent tell me that TSA locks are no longer necessary, but I've just continued using them. Doesn't hurt and I've got nothing to hide. If I can make their job of searching my shit easier, all the better. No need to poke the green haired, rainbow sticker wearing bear.

A general suggestion regarding flights with firearms: As much as I love them, I keep my trigger-happy stickers off of gun cases. Depictions of dead coyotes, sheep skulls and black guns don't leave a great impression (I'd imagine) with urbanite TSA agents and luggage handlers. They likely sit on the opposite side of the political fence, and the less they delay, toss and kick my gun, the better.

I do what I can to make long gun cases look like gov/military property (to the untrained eye). If they can't figure out which bathroom to use, they're not likely to figure out that it's NOT government property, and I'm hoping they'll at least have some semblance of respect for that. Plain jane hard case adorned only with the following.

Property of: John Doe
Address
email
phone

OP
M

MattB

WKR
I had the same argument in Charleston. The head TSA officer acknowledged the TSA rule (keep your key in your possession) but she said there is also a rule that requires secure areas without passengers. (Her argument / but obviously not required in some airports). She ultimately gave me two options - hand over the keys or choose not to fly.

Part of me thinks interactions like these were part of the reason they changed to allow TSA locks (which obviously can be opened without out our presence).
Reading about some other people’s firearms travel experiences, I learned that all locks can be “opened” without our presence. Only TSA-recognized locks can be closed after they have been “opened”. 😀

The time before i flew i had two non tsa locks and 2 tsa locks and they stole the tsa locks. go figure. makes me feel better that it happened in charleston. I figured they were giving me a hard time bc I was in oakland and they were going way out of their way to eff with me. I just don't understand why they are allowed to go through your firearms without you there. my buddy used to work tsa long ago I used to hear all kinds of stories. Shouldn't be too hard to take you in some room, you open your case up for them, close it when they are done and be on your way. i've thousands of dollars worth of stuff locked up and the idiots couldn't even close the case correctly. it's sucks that you are completely powerless.

fwafwow

WKR
Reading about some other people’s firearms travel experiences, I learned that all locks can be “opened” without our presence. Only TSA-recognized locks can be closed after they have been “opened”. 😀
Good point! And any of the locks are easily cut or picked if someone really wants to get them open.