Airline Travel with TSA locks - Experiences

Art Fern

FNG
Seems like each airport, airline and check-in employee has their own interpretation of the rules and regulations.. pick your airports and airlines wisely. Alaska Airlines has always been super pro-gun in my experience. They’re used to them so I try to fly them as much as possible.

Macintosh

WKR
The only thing you can count on is that each experience will be different. That is what you need to be prepared for.

Ive generally used my own non-tsa padlocks, but with all the ambiguity and outright contradictions I keep an entire spare set of 4 TSA locks inside the case with a nice huge note that reads: TSA: “if you need to reach me my cell# is xxxx, here are spare locks in case there is any issue with mine”.
Ive never had to use them, but read enough horror stories to want to be ready for whichever way todays tsa whim blows, ie demanding I use one set of locks instead of the other, lost keys, cut open, etc.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
The time before i flew i had two non tsa locks and 2 tsa locks and they stole the tsa locks. go figure. makes me feel better that it happened in charleston. I figured they were giving me a hard time bc I was in oakland and they were going way out of their way to eff with me. I just don't understand why they are allowed to go through your firearms without you there. my buddy used to work tsa long ago I used to hear all kinds of stories. Shouldn't be too hard to take you in some room, you open your case up for them, close it when they are done and be on your way. i've thousands of dollars worth of stuff locked up and the idiots couldn't even close the case correctly. it's sucks that you are completely powerless.
Do not be fooled they go through all your luggage if they want to. I travel alot for work and we take our golf clubs. Half the time when my case gets to the final destination my clubs are not secured in the case anymore. It used to frustrate me but i know nothing i say will change that. I would rather them check all the cases then assume we are all upstanding citizens and someone get past them with something that was going to harm everyone on that plane.

The only thing you can count on is that each experience will be different. That is what you need to be prepared for.

Ive generally used my own non-tsa padlocks, but with all the ambiguity and outright contradictions I keep an entire spare set of 4 TSA locks inside the case with a nice huge note that reads: TSA: “if you need to reach me my cell# is xxxx, here are spare locks in case there is any issue with mine”.
Ive never had to use them, but read enough horror stories to want to be ready for whichever way todays tsa whim blows, ie demanding I use one set of locks instead of the other, lost keys, cut open, etc.
Headed to Alabama and Mississippi next week and going to try this thanks for sharing.
Do not be fooled they go through all your luggage if they want to. I travel alot for work and we take our golf clubs. Half the time when my case gets to the final destination my clubs are not secured in the case anymore. It used to frustrate me but i know nothing i say will change that. I would rather them check all the cases then assume we are all upstanding citizens and someone get past them with something that was going to harm everyone on that plane.
thats a much better way of looking at it !thank you for sharing

pirogue

WKR
I don’t, and won’t use a case made for only TSA locks for my firearms. Not even my bow. Yes, I know you don’t declare a bow, but I put a pistol inside my bow case, so I can lock it, so I can keep the key with me, so no TSA guys is touching my firearms or bows, unless I’m standing there.

pirogue

WKR
I don’t, and won’t use a case made for only TSA locks for my firearms. Not even my bow. Yes, I know you don’t declare a bow, but I put a pistol inside my bow case, so I can lock it, so I can keep the key with me, so no TSA guys is touching my firearms or bows, unless I’m standing there.
And I’ve flown a few times.

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 20
I prefer my own locks, the stronger the better. Just notify the airline and/or TSA agent. They will likely screen it near the ticket counter with you present.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
For an upcoming trip I am considering flying with a couple of shotguns in an SKB bow case. It only has TSA locks with no place to put padlocks.

I am interested in experiences of people who did this and whether there was any pushback from either airline personnel or TSA agents?
I would use a zip tie and keep extra set of locks w keys in case they break them. My case was “ broken “into and i had the keys but never contacted. Guess who had to go get set of locks before leaving

Bearman

FNG
Just a reminder to everyone. ALL AREAS controlled by the TSA (federal government) must have CCTV cameras recording.
If you loose anything and/or anything is not the way you packed it, contact the airport management to work with TSA and review your case, if it was searched by TSA, it will be on tape.
Then you will know if it was stolen/damaged by them or by the airline after the TSA hands it to the baggage handlers.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Flew overseas with my skb bow case and no issues for me at all a buddy of mine did have an issue when the TSA did a check and one of the locks on his skb would not function needless to say his rifle didnt make it there on time and it took him a while to get everything back and he needed a new case skb did supply him with one new.