AK Moose 2024

WMR

FNG
Now I guess it’s game on. The Christmas stuff is put away and I can see hunting season in the distance. Santa brought a new moose call. Not sure how I managed to lose the other one.

Getting dropped in for moose mid September. Outlook is dampened somewhat by recent bad winters, but we’re going anyway. Guaranteed adventure with a chance for moose seems worth it to me. I’d best not skip any years.I had Alberta plans in ‘23, but they went up in smoke (literally). That got rebooked but not for this year. Gotta do the DIY thing while I still can. Father Time never takes a day off.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, what transporter is dropping you off? Best of luck on your prep & hunt. I’m going 2025, so will likely be reaching out after your hunt to pick your brain.

AKDoc

WKR
Excellent reasoning...the best to you for a safe and wonderful 2024 adventure!

(...and that's a good time to go. I always prefer mid-September...I'll be in the field the 12th thru the 22nd.)

OP
W

WMR

FNG
Thanks to all. I’ve been up there a few times but not the past couple of years. Thinking that a rut hunt might allow a shot close to the pickup site. A long pack job is more than I want to take on. Got most of the gear already. Always a few things to get. Previous trips have shown that I’m a bear magnet and a moose repellent. But I AM an optimist, so there’s that. 🤔

digdeep

FNG
Best of luck on your moose hunt! Anyone have any worthwhile articles or reads on DIY Alaska moose hunts?

OP
W

WMR

FNG
I see that Part 2 of Billy’s article is still at available at the top of this forum. Part 1 seems AWOL. Just reading the many threads here will put a guy way ahead. I think I’ve also seen every moose hunt on YouTube as well .🫤

Interestingly, Billy Molls was the speaker at a game dinner I attended at a nearby church. He hit it out of the park with a great talk that put a lot of things in perspective.

Now I guess it’s game on. The Christmas stuff is put away and I can see hunting season in the distance. Santa brought a new moose call. Not sure how I managed to lose the other one.

Getting dropped in for moose mid September. Outlook is dampened somewhat by recent bad winters, but we’re going anyway. Guaranteed adventure with a chance for moose seems worth it to me. I’d best not skip any years.I had Alberta plans in ‘23, but they went up in smoke (literally). That got rebooked but not for this year. Gotta do the DIY thing while I still can. Father Time never takes a day off.
Good luck on your hunt! Hope to see an update in September

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, that was asked in jest seeing as the question I replied to was asking the same! I know the game and the game is tight lipped!!

OP
W

WMR

FNG
Transporter? No problem. Just call 40 Mile Air and tell them you’d like a moose hunt. 😳 Well, maybe it’s not always that easy. It can take time, work and a bit of luck to make it happen. For 2025, I’d be calling around now and offering to put down a deposit.

The best time to start planning a moose hunt was 20 years ago. The next best time? Today!

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Transporter? No problem. Just call 40 Mile Air and tell them you’d like a moose hunt. 😳 Well, maybe it’s not always that easy. It can take time, work and a bit of luck to make it happen. For 2025, I’d be calling around now and offering to put down a deposit.

The best time to start planning a moose hunt was 20 years ago. The next best time? Today!
Yes, I’m shocked how expensive it’s gotten to catch a ride in and out of the backcountry with all your own gear. We’re looking for 2026 and I feel I should be looking for 2028, but then many of the transporters won’t even take your money for a hunt that far out. I should have known better, I have my Dall hunt in NWT this August and I waited 4 years for my turn.

fatlander

WKR
We’re booked for 2026. Started researching in 2021, calling around in ‘22 and in to ‘23, and shored up the plans for ‘26 just before the new year. Can’t wait to experience AK with my Dad. Will be the trip of a lifetime no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

WMR

FNG
If I’m fortunate enough to shoot a moose, I’ll send GPS coordinates to any willing soul with a backpack and strong legs! 😏