AK Moose 2024

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Totally not relevant but funny - I read this title as someone shot or is wanting to shoot a moose with an AK. My mind = “hell yea, brother”

Carry on

OP
W

WMR

FNG
Is a 5 round, 44 special revolver too 'small' or underpowered for a AK backcountry carry gun?
Buffalo Bore makes a fairly powerful 44spl hard cast load. Probably too much for a Charter Arms Bulldog, but good in a Smith 696. A guy could probably do a lot worse.

Fortboy22

FNG
Buffalo Bore makes a fairly powerful 44spl hard cast load. Probably too much for a Charter Arms Bulldog, but good in a Smith 696. A guy could probably do a lot worse.
I have the S&W 396 Airlite Ti Mountain Lite... I'll have to dig up load capacity recommendations.

Careful getting too heavy on those "Ti" guns. I don't know about the 396, but the N Frame 329 (.44 mag) can seize up the "internal lock" system under recoil with heavy cast bear loads. If it happens, the gun is out of the fight until completely disassembled.

Fortboy22

FNG
Careful getting too heavy on those "Ti" guns. I don't know about the 396, but the N Frame 329 (.44 mag) can seize up the "internal lock" system under recoil with heavy cast bear loads. If it happens, the gun is out of the fight until completely disassembled.
Yes, I have read warning reports on this same potential issue, but I have also seen responses that suggest for this particular S&W ti revolver, that the 'caution' is a bit exaggerated. So, you had it happen to your 44 personally? Obviously, I have some trial and error testing to do on mine. Although, it may just be a good excuse to "need" a new pistol ;)

OP
W

WMR

FNG
I see from the BB website that the Smith 396 is one of the handguns they tested the Heavy 44 Spl load in. The say it's OK for all 44 Spl revolvers except the Bulldog.

Yes, I have read warning reports on this same potential issue, but I have also seen responses that suggest for this particular S&W ti revolver, that the 'caution' is a bit exaggerated. So, you had it happen to your 44 personally? Obviously, I have some trial and error testing to do on mine. Although, it may just be a good excuse to "need" a new pistol ;)

I've witnessed it one day with with my brothers 329PD shooting 300+ gr load's. We got it running again, but it took some time at the bench to get that frozen lockwork disassembled and puzzled back together. He reverted to 240 gr loads, and it's worked since.

Obviously it's a N Frame vs L Frame comparison, and even heavy .44 spls aren't in the same the league as mag loads... so may not be an issue at all

wyosam

WKR
Before you go loading up your handgun with heavy rounds that “probably” won’t lock it up, remember that there are plenty of reports of bear attacks beings stopped with 9mm. I’d be curious to see actual situations where a well placed shot with a decent bullet wasn’t enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk