AK Moose/Caribou Planning and Gear Lessons Learned

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone taken a dome style 4 season tent and added a stove jack with a zippered floor? Would run the same titanium stove i run in the TP. I've read about it a few posts. Similar to the Alaskan guide model. I have the old cabelas extreme that I could do it in, but fitting a 88lb tent in a plane is troublesome. Other tent recommendations to try it in...

I like your plan, I am on a similar schedule. No AK trip this year but I'll be back next year.

I know caribou aren't moose, but we used the Adventure Medical 2 person space blanket from my emergency kit for a meat tarp on the caribou trip. I washed it in a pool along the river and dried it overnight at camp. I bet your silpoly would hold up. That blanket is not sturdy at all and it did the job.

I got a Onetigris 10x13 tarp (actual dimensions about 9.5'x12.8') to put over our meat on our last AK trip. It's pretty light and inexpensive for it's size. It held up on Kodiak tucked back in the brush a bit. I've made the mistake of taking to small a tarp to get all our meat spread out under on one trip. We got lucky and had good temps, no meat spoilage but I prefer a tarp that should be bigger than I need now.

I still like my Seek DST best for glassing under. We figure 1 DST for every 2 hunters. I can get by with a smaller tarp if I'll hunt by myself, but the DST has held up well to a lot of use, sets up easy, and seems to be a good blend of visibility and protection. Going to my Sheep Tarp in a blowing rain I missed the DST, I lost some visibility to get the protection I wanted compared to the DST. I bought a Hyperlite 8.5' DCF square tarp I have been taking in the lower 48, but I'm not sure I trust it as much as the DST for AK weather.
I brought the Seek DST on our Aug-Sep caribou hunt in the Brooks Range. It held up very well and kept us out of the rain in camp. Definitely recommend it. Waders and wadding boots are another must for that area, I wore them the entire time. we were just off the Ivashak river. The whole area was wet, swampy, with deep streams and wide streams. Even the mountain slopes were wet. My buddy’s crocks didn’t hold up and rubbed a hole in his waders. Treckking poles also great to have. Brought spices, olive oil, potatoes, and onions. Amazing to have with the fresh caribou and a great break from the mountain house meals. Bring an extra spork or spoon. Definitely bring an inReach and good rain gear!

150 lb is a lot. I would take one.
c48d010067a8b315b901aa6de3339204.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, but make sure there is wood available. There was no wood where we were off the Ivashak river in the Brooks range, except what we could scrounge from the river, which was not much. A stove will help you dry out boots and clothes.

mcseal2

WKR
Congrats Slugz, I was way late getting caught up on your adventure. You made a great plan and it all came together. That's a great feeling!

OP
Slugz

Slugz

WKR
Congrats Slugz, I was way late getting caught up on your adventure. You made a great plan and it all came together. That's a great feeling!
Thanks.
And thanks again for the help putting it all together

mcseal2

WKR
Glad I could help a little. I have to share your adventures the years I stay home from Alaska and save up for another trip.