AK Moose Fly-in packing list

Great list. I get guys asking me for my gear list every year but it's never the same. Some years I'm hunting with a partner and others I'm solo. Locations and terrain change. Length of hunt varies. Flight distance and logistics matter. When a pilot gives you the stink eye and says 80 pounds...you'd better believe him. It seems like I'm taking less luxuries with me than ever before. Food....I take exactly the basics and lightest stuff I can buy. I don't eat heavy for those days and I plan to consume everything I bring in. Nothing is in cans or jars. If I don't almost KNOW for sure I will use something then I leave it at home. The luxuries and just-in-case stuff can make pounds in a hurry.

OP
K

KJH

WKR
I've had pilots never weigh our gear or even ask about weight, and I've had others who are very particular... For those who are particular, I comply to the letter of the weight rule... Afterall, its their show until we land.

We go in knda-sorta light, so maybe that's why they have never asked... Don't know. A few luxuries are a nice thing to have, but are not a make or break it for us. I figure if you can't go out with less than a 100lbs, you shouldn't be there...

Maverick940

Banned
I've had pilots never weigh our gear or even ask about weight, and I've had others who are very particular... For those who are particular, I comply to the letter of the weight rule... Afterall, its their show until we land.

We go in knda-sorta light, so maybe that's why they have never asked... Don't know. A few luxuries are a nice thing to have, but are not a make or break it for us. I figure if you can't go out with less than a 100lbs, you shouldn't be there...

The old adage from years gone by: "Minimum amount of gear, maximum amount of experience".

Stid2677

WKR
Great list,,,

Few things I like,,

Duraflame logs,, makes a quick fire if someone goes swimming,, can be cut into smaller pieces for starting fires. Burns up so nothing to fly back.

Charcoal,, moose steaks are awesome cooked on some charcoal with a bit of willow. Lets me cook while out hunting, wrap meal in tinfoil,, add to already burnt down coals and go for evening hunt, return, dig out and eat.

Lots and lots of tarps,, need cover at kill site, cover the meat cache, cook area, hang out etc.... Can also receive a Viking funeral if needed.

We like meals vacuum sealed and frozen,, like your bacon trick. Acts as ice until you want to eat and then just boil water and drop it in. Hot food, no mess.

Again, great list.

Steve

OP
K

KJH

WKR
Steve,

I like the idea of the duraflame logs. We've never considerd that before, but I'll be adding these to the list.

We thought about charcoal, but the weight always kept us from bringing it. How much do you take along? I agree that a fresh steak over coal would be amazing.

You are right on about the tarps.

Thanks for the suggestions. Its posts like this that make the site a valuable tool.

Stid2677

WKR
We take a 5lb bag of Matchlight, sometimes 10lbs,, My setup for 2 guys is about 850lbs depending on my partner, so we take 2 light loads in, so a little consumable weight is no biggie for us.

When stuffing crap into planes,, lot of small bags are much easier to cram into tight spaces than large bags stuffed full.

SteelyDan

FNG
This list is our list for 2-3 hunters going to a 7-12 day DIY fly-in caribou or moose camp. I have used this basic list for trips in Alaska and Canada
• 2 pr. Pants. (your preference; mine are very modified for me with attachments, added pockets, sewn in gaiters, etc
6 years on... portable solar chargers might be the only new thing to consider? AND how about a picture of those custom hunting pants, please !?!?