AK Moose Success

OP
M

mtbraun

FNG
I have a potentially sensitive topic here regarding B&C scorers. Full disclosure, I'm not that into the "number" and think a lot of times it takes away from the animal and experience of the hunt. That said, this moose is pretty incredible and it felt right to score it so I could memorialize that part of the experience.

Now for the tricky part. Before I left AK with the antlers, I had a good friend rough green score him at 242 (net). He's got 5 book moose of his own and I was comfortable the score was in the ball park. My friend also knows the master moose scorer in Anchorage and has had a tape on many a moose.

I recently had this officially scored, and the gross was 240, net 224. I know the scorer is not experienced in moose because we are in SD and he had to contact B&C for measurement clarification. I'm not upset at him and don't want to cause too much trouble, but can I have this re-scored? I have not submitted the score yet. If the difference wasn't so great I wouldn't worry about it, but that seems like a huge difference in two different net scores. And it would seem highly unlikely it dried that much in 60 days.

roymunson

WKR
sure you can rescore it. and I don't know you from anyone, but for someone who says they're not that into the score, you seem to be into the score. I will concede that you're is probably a book animal. Mine was not.

I know mine was 58" wide and had 4 brows on each side. That's enough for me.

but if you wanna get it rescored, that's your prerogative.

I have a potentially sensitive topic here regarding B&C scorers. Full disclosure, I'm not that into the "number" and think a lot of times it takes away from the animal and experience of the hunt. That said, this moose is pretty incredible and it felt right to score it so I could memorialize that part of the experience.

Now for the tricky part. Before I left AK with the antlers, I had a good friend rough green score him at 242 (net). He's got 5 book moose of his own and I was comfortable the score was in the ball park. My friend also knows the master moose scorer in Anchorage and has had a tape on many a moose.

I recently had this officially scored, and the gross was 240, net 224. I know the scorer is not experienced in moose because we are in SD and he had to contact B&C for measurement clarification. I'm not upset at him and don't want to cause too much trouble, but can I have this re-scored? I have not submitted the score yet. If the difference wasn't so great I wouldn't worry about it, but that seems like a huge difference in two different net scores. And it would seem highly unlikely it dried that much in 60 days.
Roymunson, Don't feel bad at all for your interest in getting a magnificent animal scored.
Very few people ever get a chance to SEE a Boone and Crocket moose let alone harvest one.
Not to mention the time & expenses it takes to find and hunt trophy areas holding these giant moose, it's big money unless lady luck throws you a bone and you just happen to run into one.

My father only cared about Harvesting a good meat bull for the family and we always had plenty of good-eating moose, elk, deer, and antelope at home. Do I remember most of those "meat bulls, bucks, or goats" no?

I have harvested many "B&C" & "All Time" animals over the past 30 years and all of them are displayed in my home along with videos I filmed of the hunts with my friends. So now years later I get to replay the harvesting of all the giant bulls with my friends around the dinner table along with countless hours of replaying the hunts on the big screen TV.

To me getting a fantastic animal scored is another way to honor that animal with one more memory you can cherish for a lifetime, and I have a lifetime of memories all around my place and have shared with the world.

I had one of my giant bulls re-scored and I was glad I did...

If you haven't done it yet go to Boon and Crockett, go to this link-->
( https://www.boone-crockett.org/download-bc-score-charts ) download their score sheet (it's free) and score it again. Even if it doesn't score B & C there are other platforms it might qualify for like "All Time".
Next, get information to have the rack sent to them for official scoring, you will have to do this anyway if you want it entered into the book officially. Depending on how it scores you may be invited to attend a function/banquet where they honor all the giants harvested that year, it's a lot of fun.
Be advised you will be required to pay to have the rack sent in and later returned and they will hold it for awhile to showcase your bull but it's a small price to pay and again a lot of fun.

Hope this helps you and congratulations on your giant moose!

Can you share a picture of this giant moose of yours?

OP
M

mtbraun

FNG
and I don't know you from anyone, but for someone who says they're not that into the score, you seem to be into the score.
I'm sorry it came across that way. I have three whitetails that are easily B&C that have never been scored, if that helps.

roymunson

WKR
I'm sorry it came across that way. I have three whitetails that are easily B&C that have never been scored, if that helps.
No harm done. And your moose is incredible.

You have every right to get it rescored and be proud of that baby.

I am a little jealous about the humblebrag that you've got 3 booner whitetails too... haha
All good man!

It was my understanding that once it’s officially scored, that’s it. My good friend and hunting buddy got one last year that after drying, it was group scored several times and landed around 25th all time each time. He lined up an official scorer and his measurements lost enough to be just outside top 50. He was told that it cannot be officially rescored. He didn’t really care enough to follow up after that so he may have got bad info.

IMG_7621.jpeg

OP
M

mtbraun

FNG
It was my understanding that once it’s officially scored, that’s it. My good friend and hunting buddy got one last year that after drying, it was group scored several times and landed around 25th all time each time. He lined up an official scorer and his measurements lost enough to be just outside top 50. He was told that it cannot be officially rescored. He didn’t really care enough to follow up after that so he may have got bad info.

View attachment 642685
The crux of my question is, what is considered "officially" scored? Does that mean once an official scorer has put it on paper, or once it's been submitted and accepted by B&C? I can see a no rescore stance on animals that have been accepted, but I haven't submitted anything yet.

If, as I suspect, the current score is grossly under what it should be, then I would think there is some kind of reconciliation that needs to take place. I guess we'll see.

AkRyan

WKR
Epic bull! Only thing that gets my brain going is the minimal expansion on the bullet at 150yrds. If this was a 300yrd shot I don't think the bullet would have expanded at all. Either way congrats on the memory of a lifetime

OP
M

mtbraun

FNG
Epic bull! Only thing that gets my brain going is the minimal expansion on the bullet at 150yrds. If this was a 300yrd shot I don't think the bullet would have expanded at all. Either way congrats on the memory of a lifetime

Why do you feel that bullet shows limited expansion? I think it performed great. Keep in mind it's a copper solid. The moose took two steps and went down.

AkRyan

WKR
Why do you feel that bullet shows limited expansion? I think it performed great. Keep in mind it's a copper solid. The moose took two steps and went down.
I wouldn't say poor I would just expect more at that range unless that is the max expansion allowed by design.