AK Spring Bear Hunt

Lori C.

FNG
Classified Approved
Hello, i’ll be going on my first spring bear hunt in Alaska this May. I was wondering what day packs people use for a baited bear hunt.

As I am a newbie, any advice is appreciated.

Lori C.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a larger EXO pack I use for multi day trips or cinch it down if I’m only using it for a day.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Day pack for me is a cinched down Stone Glacier.

The frame and pack itself doesn’t change. Multi day backcountry hunt, expedition, overnight or day hunt the system itself is the same. The configuration is different.

Personally, I like Stone Glacier products. Simple. Quality. Backed by EXCEPTIONAL people and phenomenal customer service.

OP
Lori C.

Lori C.

FNG
Classified Approved
Day pack for me is a cinched down Stone Glacier.

The frame and pack itself doesn’t change. Multi day backcountry hunt, expedition, overnight or day hunt the system itself is the same. The configuration is different.

Personally, I like Stone Glacier products. Simple. Quality. Backed by EXCEPTIONAL people and phenomenal customer service.
Thank you. This is very helpful information. I’m trying on as many as I can because I know the fit is very important. At least that’s how I felt about the backpack I use for backcountry camping.

PNWGATOR

WKR
FWIW, if you’re a backpacker and have a pack that’s proven and fits, use it. There is no need to dive into a ‘hunting’ pack unless you absolutely want to. In fact, there are a lot of great backpacking packs that make great hunting packs. I used an REI XT85 for years before transitioning into hunting specific brands.

OP
Lori C.

Lori C.

FNG
Classified Approved
That is actually great advice! Thank you I will do just that

There are so many good packs out there… Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, Initial ascent, Elberstock, Stone Glacier… pick one of their multi day packs and cinch it down. That way you don’t have to buy another pack when you go on hunts where you have to pack out meat. If you don’t want to invest that money just get a simple Cabela’s day pack or something similar.

OP
Lori C.

Lori C.

FNG
Classified Approved
I picked the 2024 MR men’s metcalf 75. It feels great so far!

If your hunting bait then buy a cheep pack you can toss out after the season. Your nasty bait will get all over it and you are probably going to shoot a skunk bear over bait whose blood will ruin anything it gets on. I buy a cheep rigged frame pack at sportsmens every year for 60 and sell it on facebook for 20 after season.