Bitteroot Selway Bear Hunt

Hi I normally hunt black bear in NW Montana every spring. I am typically hunting between 3000-5200 ft in elevation. This year I want to hunt the Bitteroot Selway wilderness specifically unit 17. I am looking at elevations between 4000-6000 and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on where the snow line typically is in the second week of may. Is 5000 feet to high for second week of may? I know every spring is different. But wondering if anyone had feedback for me.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
This year I would guess close to 6000'. Last year it was about 5000' first week of May in a unit closeish to 17.

OP
Ndhunter777
This year I would guess close to 6000'. Last year it was about 5000' first week of May in a unit closeish to 17.
Thank you for your response. Do you know how access is via the few roads leading to 17?

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been on the main haul you are probably looking at but I have been in that area on memorial day a few years back and still had issues getting around on the shaded areas, even on a 4 wheeler. This was between 5-6000' even though there was new grass sprouting on the south facing slopes and the snow line would have been much higher.

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
100% dependent on weather for all your questions. Elevation range will also depend on what part of 17 you are in.

Lots of outfitters there! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
Hi I normally hunt black bear in NW Montana every spring. I am typically hunting between 3000-5200 ft in elevation. This year I want to hunt the Bitteroot Selway wilderness specifically unit 17. I am looking at elevations between 4000-6000 and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on where the snow line typically is in the second week of may. Is 5000 feet to high for second week of may? I know every spring is different. But wondering if anyone had feedback for me.

You need to quit calling it the Bitteroot Selway Wilderness. 😀

OP
Ndhunter777
I haven't been on the main haul you are probably looking at but I have been in that area on memorial day a few years back and still had issues getting around on the shaded areas, even on a 4 wheeler. This was between 5-6000' even though there was new grass sprouting on the south facing slopes and the snow line would have been much higher.
Thank you so much. That helps a lot.
100% dependent on weather for all your questions. Elevation range will also depend on what part of 17 you are in.

Lots of outfitters there! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too many outfitters? To much competition?

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you so much. That helps a lot.

Too many outfitters? To much competition?
There are quite a few hunters that camp on the main stretch and hunt off horseback and then a number of outfitters that bait and have backcountry camps. Both parties push pretty far back, so if you are wanting to be competition free you will need to push pretty far off the road.

OP
Ndhunter777
There are quite a few hunters that camp on the main stretch and hunt off horseback and then a number of outfitters that bait and have backcountry camps. Both parties push pretty far back, so if you are wanting to be competition free you will need to push pretty far off the road.
Ok thanks for that information. I was planning on going in about 7-10 miles. Hope to leave some of the competitors behind. Obviously hard without horses. But I got Kenetrek boots and my wife tells me I am stubborn 😂

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
Ok thanks for that information. I was planning on going in about 7-10 miles. Hope to leave some of the competitors behind. Obviously hard without horses. But I got Kenetrek boots and my wife tells me I am stubborn 😂
You will be good then. Its steep as hell haha. Dont rule out lower elevations and if you climb, follow the water so you can set camp nearby.

OP
Ndhunter777
Pm me. I use to spend a lot of time in the Selway.
I would like to but unfortunately I can’t since I am new member. I have to post in 10 threats before I can send a pm. Working on it, would like to hear your insight. Thank you