Alaska air baggage

Dhosera

FNG
Sure did! I called the places on their website.....Tannery was crazy rude and literally said "too busy to help you" and basically hung up on me because we weren't interested in any taxidermy work by them. And Smokehouse said they'd only do it if we paid them to process all the meat 1st, which we weren't interested in. We got out of the field 2 days after the close of Moose Season (27th) and they didn't have enough time to process it before the pickup date anyhow.

The whole thing is just a cluster unless somehow you can get out of the field and either pay someone to reasonably store your Quartered Unprocessed meat there and they transport to AK Express drop off or wait around a week or so until October 6th to drop it yourself. Someone could make some decent $$$$ if they had the means to pull off this type service for hunters in Fairbanks. I mean you're only talking maybe a Month for Moose & Bou Hunters trying to catch AK Trophy Express.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
One could rent freezer containers from AML.
Sure did! I called the places on their website.....Tannery was crazy rude and literally said "too busy to help you" and basically hung up on me because we weren't interested in any taxidermy work by them. And Smokehouse said they'd only do it if we paid them to process all the meat 1st, which we weren't interested in. We got out of the field 2 days after the close of Moose Season (27th) and they didn't have enough time to process it before the pickup date anyhow.

The whole thing is just a cluster unless somehow you can get out of the field and either pay someone to reasonably store your Quartered Unprocessed meat there and they transport to AK Express drop off or wait around a week or so until October 6th to drop it yourself. Someone could make some decent $$$$ if they had the means to pull off this type service for hunters in Fairbanks. I mean you're only talking maybe a Month for Moose & Bou Hunters trying to catch AK Trophy Express.
I wonder what the economics would be for a pop up business using AML freezer/cooler containers for this for the season.

Gobbler36

WKR
Man, it's getting close though.

6 items of meat/antlers = $900 of baggage fees plus cost of boxes/coolers and time and PITA of running around and packing.

AK trophy express = $950 delivered to a location likely less than a few hours from home. Just get out of the field and drop the meat and head off and be done with it for a month. Maybe $50 extra cost for freezer space rental for a few weeks.
This is what we are doing

AKAshton

FNG
Alaska air offers a freight program you can ship bigger stuff for relatively cheap,
Doesn’t always come quick but it works well,
Good for antlers on the return and such

OP
280rem

280rem

FNG

I don’t understand what was so difficult for you. I did all of it very easily last year after the harvest, since it was my plan C. Didn’t have any complications whatsoever even doing some of the communication from the field by inReach. Found the guy at the tannery to be enormously helpful, and only paid for him to hold the meat. Being nice and gracious to people who’s service you need must pay dividends idk

AKBorn

WKR
Federal law states that your firearm must fly with you, so all bags arrive. I used to put a pistol in every checked bag bag in the Penn Air days when they were notorious for leaving most bags behind.
I wanted to mention this when my bag and firearm case didn't make it from Seattle to Anchorage with me on the second leg of my flight to AK this year. But, gave the guy a break in ANC since he wasn't responsible for it...

gbflyer

WKR
Just take it to AK Air Cargo. They have decent rates. Nothing cheap about an AK hunt.

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
Just take it to AK Air Cargo. They have decent rates. Nothing cheap about an AK hunt.
Nope nothing cheap about it
It cost us $900 to fly a complete moose to anchorage from a small town then we are paying the $950 for Trophy Express. But the whole process has been easy and
But I feel it’s still cheaper than buying beef and u got a better meat