Alaska Goat Hunt Boots

I found the 2092 to be too soft for goats especially with crampons. Nice sheep boot though. I did go a 1/2 size down.

The tried and trusty La Sportiva Nepal’s are my go to now. Goats live in some unforgiving terrain, you need a boot to handle it.

kjw

WKR
Sounds like you’re on the right track. It may take several tries to find a boot that fits you. Make sure you have room in the toe box. Coming back down can be hell on your toes. I think I tried 5 or 6 pairs of boots before being done. I really liked the scarpa charmoz but they leaked like a screen door on a submarine. Went the rounds with scarpa and I finally jumped up to the Mont Blanc. 3 sheep hunts and a couple goat hunts and I’ve been happy. I’ve also had friends settle on the grand dru and the zamberlan 2092. Everyone has a different foot so you’ll know when you find the boot. Crampon compatible is probably another feature you’ll want to have. They’ll be a life saver coming back down in most cases.

Good point on the crampons

To further that, if you go with a fully automatic boot for crampons it should be stiff enough to handle the terrain.

At a minimum I’d have a heel welt like the 2092’s but better with the toe as well.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
Agree, those and the Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX's are the only boots I wear.
I've used the scarpas for goat and sheep hunts. They are definitely the right sole stiffness. I used to ice climb and do mountaineering - have used stiffer soled boots and found them less than helpful for scenarios that aren't centered on crampons.

Despite the narrow toe box the scarpas have worked well for me. I wish the uppers were a little stiffer for side hilling on scree.

I've used the scarpas for goat and sheep hunts. They are definitely the right sole stiffness. I used to ice climb and do mountaineering - have used stiffer soled boots and found them less than helpful for scenarios that aren't centered on crampons.

Despite the narrow toe box the scarpas have worked well for me. I wish the uppers were a little stiffer for side hilling on scree.

I prefer the Scarpa’s over the Sportiva’s just because they have a little bit bigger toe box. It’s kinda hard to tell from this picture, but the Scarpa on the right is wider in the toe and seems to fit my foot a little better. Both great boots for sure though!
8470e438924a94e3454b69561632d3cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Another stiff boot advocate here….though I don’t like the plastic mtn boots with no flex

I have worn my Hoffmans in AK…those are just the right amount of stiffness and ankle support for me.

If your boot has too much flex, the super steep slopes, rockslides, and cross slope stuff is much tougher on my feet and ankles.

Clarktar

WKR
I'm a fan of stiffer boots as well. Lowa cvedale have been my go to with zero complaints. Stuff enough for crampons and some mixed climbing but also provide some flex so I still have good range of motion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

uncastan

FNG
It really depends on the terrain, I did my first goat hunt in a pair of Xtratuf’s (I can highly NOT recommend those). The second goat hunt was in a pair Solomon 4d gtx. If I ws to do it today, my Lowa Tibets would get the nod.
Did you really do a goat hunt in Xtra tuff boots? LOL.

Yes, this was in the late 80's or early 90's. I was working in a field camp in SE AK where we all lived in xtra tuffs. I had planned a multiday backpack trip into a peak that saw few hunters- we even "scouted" out the route that from afar that looked to be meadows to get to alpine. In reality, the meadows were fields of snow-bent alders. After two days in the alders and nowhere near alpine, we pulled the plug and head back to camp severally defeated. I had a couple days of leave left and woke early to find goats on a peak that I knew had a "trail" as several in camp had summited that summer. I threw some random food and two liters of water in a day pack, grabbed my dads Herters J9 and headed up. I was to alpine fairly quickly where I stopped about half way between tree line and the top for a snack and water. A billy was above me looking down (as described from those in camp) and they got to watch as we played the cat and mouse across the alpine face. I caught up to the billy as short distance from the very top. One shot from the 270 (mixed ammo, probably a 130 gr corelock) did him in. I broke him down and packed out all the meat, head and hide. The daypack was stuffed and so heavy I could barely pick it up. I ran out of water by the time I made it to treeline and stumbled down the mountain ending up dropping half the meat about 2/3 the way down. I made it back to camp in the late evening totally exhausted. The next day I went back up and picked up the rest of the meat, how I was able to find it, is a minor miracle.

What saved me was that I was young and strong from a long season living in field camps- I couldn't do that today, nor would I try. At this time, I had only shot a couple deer- I was super green at hunting and being naïve maybe ensured I had a guardian angle looking over me.

The gear used is more like what people used doing typical outdoor work during this era, xtra tuffs, HH bibs (the heavy ones) jeans, probably a simple button down long sleeve over a t-shirt and ballcap.

I still have the REI day pack and I recently found the two water bottles in some camping gear that brought back memories of this great adventure. . Between me, my brother and dad, that Herters rifle has killed a lot of game and seen a lot of adventures.

To be young again!!

Scorpion

WKR
When I did my Chugach goat hunt in 2022, I wore my Zamberlan 1104 Storm Pro. They are rated a 3 flex by GoHunt. In retrospect, I wish that I had worn my Salewa Vultur (5 flex).

The 1104’s were great and still are a favorite of mine, but I definitely sacrificed some stability when traversing scree fields and climbing ultra steep slopes for all around comfort. Make sure your boots are cramp on compatible.

My guide wore all plastic Koflach boots. I can see the why guys that spend a season in that country wear those.

Not sure what style of hunt you’ll be doing but if you plan to be in a base camp at the start/end I would advise taking some xtra tuffs or similar. Your feet will appreciate it. We got stuck in camp for four days after I killed my goat due to weather.

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Received the Scarpa ribelle hd earlier this week. They fit my feet better than the Zamberlins. Pretty comfortable out of the box, need to upgrade the insole. Planning on breaking these in and using for the upcoming hunt.