Alaska Rubber Boots

Joee

Lil-Rokslider
lacrosse alphaburly is what I wear to hunt. My daily Alaska footwear is xtratuff full size boots or deck boots depending what I’m doing

I have worn my xtra tuffs quite a bit a few years ago. They were always a pain in the backside cushion area to put on. I have worn a pair of Cabela’s insulated (1k gram) rubber boots for the past 5 seasons. I’m not hiking far in them though. I also hunt out of a boat so I carry a pair of keen targhee 2 for the hiking around part.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Until they moved production offshore, the answer could only be XtraTuffs. Someone who is in a current model could tell you if they remain the go-to boot. I'm still rocking 2 pairs of "made in USA" that are 20 and 17 years old respectively.

Good luck and best regards,
John
The old xtra tuffs were great. New ones not so much. They will hold up for a hunting trip but not in the long run. After they moved production to China, they are more or less junk.

Grundens makes one that is pretty sturdy. You might want to check that one out.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer Muck insulated arctic boots. They are also a good winter boot if you are active. Make sure whatever boot that it is a knee high boot and keeps your feet warm

wyosam

WKR
Ive never experienced the xtraTuffs but they appear to me to be very loose around the ankle and therefore not great for being on the move. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I’ve never worn the original US made ones, but as far as the modern ones go, I’d call them overhyped junk. Can’t imagine walking through muskeg or any other rough terrain in them. Barely passable for yard work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ihookem

FNG
I went and bought Gumleaf Saxon boot . I paid $285 with tax and shipping.. They are made in England and 100% rubber. They may last a long time, however, they are not as comfy as the La Crosse Alpha Burly boot and not as warm.. I only have about 20 miles on them so who know.. Many people like them and say they last a long time. I refuse to buy anymore than I have to from China.

I float in the Brooks range , the weather is pretty bad mid late September. I used to use muck boots but the neoprene would stay wet from sweating, so I went with the uninsulated alga burly lacrosse. I’d wear a bata booty when it got cold. I got 6 seasons out of those before I split the rubber. I just got the 800g thinsulate model last season. They are pretty sweet for fall, and it’s break up right now so I wear them doing yard chores. But I’m thinking about just going with sims waders and living in them for my trip in 25 I got planned.

Xtratuffs I have used were from the 2012-16 time frame. Usually lasted a few trips or two(no more then light wear) . Then leaked. I personally can't endorse them due to leaking in 5-7 days. Maybe they've gotten better? Can't say the last time I saw anyone in them. Matanuska valley area here.