Alaska trip

So it looks like the finance department has given approval for a Alaska Moose hunt DIY. Will be hunting a few hour outside of Bethel September 1 thru 6th? I need advice with clothing. Rain gear I have cabelas space rain and Rivers West. I have some firstlite merino, puffy, and kanab pants.

cabelas has a good sale on their wooltimate and berber fleece right now, would that be appropriate?

Thanks

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Are you doing a float or a regular hunt? The temperatures shouldn't drop too much that early, but I would be ready for 30-70f range. Get another mid layer like Sitka traverse and you should be fine (hat and gloves are a must )

OP
B
Don't have all the details yet but do know we will be traveling by boat about 5 hrs out. I like my rivers west but if it is warm out i sweat in it. Not sure if i need warm pants like the berber or wooltimate.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
I would use Sitka timberline, but only because I own several. Get a core pant and a down, you should be covered.

Daniel_M

WKR
Drop camp? River based? Fly out? Is weight an issue?

My fall moose gear is pretty much the same year round.

Simms waders/boots.
Kryptek Koldo Blockade
Minus 33 chonies
Under armor 2.0 base and/or Minus 33 1/4 zip.
Mid weight layer shirt
Something puffy for the morning.
And extra puffy stuff. MH compressor, nano puff, barneys jacket.

Lots of moose hunting is done behind a set of glass.

kodiakfly

WKR
If you're traveling by boat, you may not need waders. Raft, yes.

It's not sheep hunting, but I still like to go on the light side. I've done 21 days on the river and it'll range from freezing to wearing a t shirt in September. Also remember you'll be in brush. So even if it's not raining, you'll be walking through thick, wet vegetation and you'll get soggy. So I like stuff that'll dry fast while I sit down for lunch or to glass.

OP
B
I don't know all the details yet. Going with a few friends one who is friends with a local out of Bethel. A DIY with someone who knows what, when, where, and how. All my gear is set up for Elk hunting in MT for short trips. I have warm clothing for -0 and september archery clothing, my main concern is footgear and rain gear. My cabelas is light and the rivers west is heavy. Maybe a good excuse to my some FL Stomtight?

shaun

WKR
I will be going out of Bethal this Sept myself. For your concerns I figured I would let you know what I was taking. I will be running the Lowa Cevedale With OR gaiters when not wearing waiters. For rain gear I will be running the Kryptek Koldo somewat light and breathable but much stronger than the space rain IMO

I know next to nothing about Alaska, and the weather, other than it can be wet and cold, so take this with a grain of salt.

I have the Cabela's Berber Extreme parka and bibs. For MN white tail hunting from a stand when the temps are below zero and windy, they are awesome. Since they are already extremely heavy, I wouldn't want them anywhere they have even a remote chance of getting wet, since they'll turn into 25 pound bricks. I also wouldn't wear this anywhere you have to walk more than 100 yards, because you will sweat to death in any conditions.

I also have the Wooltimate Windshear jacket. While a decent jacket for windy conditions, again, I wouldn't take it anywhere it could get wet, since it would be extremely heavy.

Since you mentioned the FL Stormtight, I also have that. If it were me (again, not knowing much about AK, so take it for what it's worth), I'd make sure to have a good merino baselayer or two, a good synthetic puffy (Patagonia Nano Air-same as the KUIU Kenai), and wear the Stormtight as a top layer. At 30-70 degrees as someone else mentioned, that should keep you plenty warm and dry.

duchntr

WKR
Sounds like you already have everything you need but as Dan M asked it helps to know what type of hunt your going on. I wouldn't buy that cabbalas stuff but thats me, Id just get a puffy jacket. As far as boots bring some knee boots, or some hiking boots and some chest waders if you have em. Also almost every guide outfit up here offers a packing list for there clients and they are usually spot on, so Id give google a whirl on that as well

Daniel_M

WKR
My experience with Rivers West, ditch it. Moose'n isn't usually that tough, until it's on the ground. It's a lot of glassing, calling and listening. Being warm and dry should be your focus. Have your sleep system planned out, I've spent a few nights freezing my ass off thinking I had what I needed. Or I fell asleep after boozing too much only to find myself on top of my bag. No biggie. Pack a good, fleece balaclava, that way you're not hiding in your bag venting condensation into it all night.

Base layers
Mid weight top
Hunting pant of sorts, mid weight.
Merino blend socks
Puffy jacket/puffy pant for night/slip-on warm booties....like a Rab Hot-Sock.

Good rain gear, I wear my rain pants almost religiously, keeps the morning dew out and i don't worry about water wicking down my socks, into my boots. Boots are always personal preference, if I'm not climbing anything my Lowa GTX do me fine...just treat them before season. Washed/waxed etc.

OP
B
Yup, that is what I thought on my rain gear. Space suit to light and Rivers West to heavy and not breathable. Need to get some gaitors and some type of hip boots. My hiking boots are Kenetrek and love them. I am bringing my bow and will just borrow a rifle if I have/want to. Thanks of all the good advise!

SDHNTR

WKR
you can spend a boat load of cash on high end rain gear like Sitka and Kuiu, if you want, I did. Or look into Gage "weather watch" commercial fishing gear. on my goat hunt in torrential rain, my guides wore that stuff and stayed bone dry. I was impressed. I was even more impressed when I saw the low price tag. It's pretty light and somewhat breathable. Just no camo, which IMO, is not a big deal. Or, the gold standard, Helly Hansen Impertech.

Daniel_M

WKR
Nothing wrong with Helly Hanson rain gear, either. I use mine quite a bit in the fall, but it's generally not something I take if I'm not on the atv.

Ray

WKR
Boat hunting out of Bethel means you will mostly be cruising sloughs and side chanels of the main river. Lots of swamps on the other side of an adler and willow covered willow bank. They may have a base camp and then slowly cruise out from there and "road" hunt the sloughs, or have a good riverside swamp that they watch over. Lots of options, but I would bet there there is no elevated terrain to hunt from. There are some smaller side rivers off the Kuskokwim to the east that they could run up and get into some spruce and hills, but that would be more than a 5 hour boat ride.

Make sure you have some fleece lined crabber gloves as the boat rides can be cold if they have an open skiff. Also be prepared to deal with a moose dead in the water up to your waist. Also buy your waterfowl stamps and you should get a chance at some sandhill cranes, specks, and pintails.

Clothing choices for me would be dry plus wader pants and Korker guide boots, and fleece wader pants. Then a decent modern rain coat over fleece. Wool base layers. Camo is not all that critical.

OP
B
Lots of good stuff to look at. Like I said this is a DIY hunt with a local from Bethel and sounds like we will do a little boat hunting and going out from our base camp. Will have lots more questions once I get more info and my plane ticket is bought:D

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing wrong with Helly Hanson rain gear, either. I use mine quite a bit in the fall, but it's generally not something I take if I'm not on the atv.

If you move in it, you will get wet. If not, it's the best rain gear on earth.