aluminum vs carbon trekking poles

Buddro

FNG
Fell on my komperdell ultralight vario 4 compact trekking poles hauling an elk out a few days ago. I really dug them but cant find another pair. I may get them fixed but have another hunt coming up and need to order another set before the hunt. I am looking at the black diamond distance flz in the aluminum and carbon versions. I've read through some forums but figured I may as well ask. Opinions on carbon vs aluminum?

Does anyone know for sure if these poles come with snow baskets?

And any experience with komperdell customer service? Ill probly try to get a new section for the old pair after my next hunt.

I can’t say much about carbon vs aluminum, besides when carbon breaks, there is generally not much warning (can be bad under full load)

I will give my experience with the flz’s though. In two years, I broke two FLZ carbon poles. Both poles had a piece break the joint, rendering the pole useless. Also, nether set came with snow baskets (3-4 years ago)

BD told me that the FLZ are not for “serious hikers”, and sent me a pair of the alpine carbon cork’s (free of charge) i must say, they may not fold as small as the flz’s, but the alpine’s are 10x the pole, imo.

Just a thought.

Maybe I'll go ahead and grab a pair of those to try out and hope I can fix the komperdells for diversities sake.

For the record for people who find this post I had a heavy load and fell sideways (uphill). The pole was planted, my external frame pack hit the side of the pole with a heavy load 100 plus pounds. Not a failure that I would blame on craftsmanship of the pole.

I've used to use some heavier duty aluminum black diamond poles but found they bent to easily which made them more prone to bends in the future. I'm now running the BD carbon cork and haven't had any issues. The only downside like Decker9 said is if you do bend them to the break point it's game over for the pole.

I ended up with the black diamond carbon corks. Haven't had the chance to use them but hopefully they will hold up. I am willing do deal with some extra weight if its in a material that wont snap as easily as my past two pairs.

Back