• Iron Will

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Stop Overthinking a deer is a deer

Votes: 23 45.1%

• Total voters

Brusso89

FNG
Which size cut are you going to use?
I'm coming from a 2" NAP killzone. So in my head, going down to a sevr 1.75 makes sense for me. I don't have the horsepower you have as my specs are - 422 grain total arrow weight @ 13.3% foc going 280 fps. If I had your specs, I'd run the 2" sevr over the 1.75.

OP
M

Maz7869

FNG
I'm coming from a 2" NAP killzone. So in my head, going down to a sevr 1.75 makes sense for me. I don't have the horsepower you have as my specs are - 422 grain total arrow weight @ 13.3% foc going 280 fps. If I had your specs, I'd run the 2" sevr over the 1.75.
If you’re concerned about penetration the 1.5” has worked well on hogs for me up to 250lb true weight on a scale.

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
After trying both fixed and mechanical on open country mule deer in windy conditions, I’d go with a big mechanical all the way. My fixed are now reserved for elk although I’ll say I’m not a tree stand deer hunter.

I used to dread practicing in the wind when we moved to Nebraska but it's part of it. Once I was able to get over the fear of losing an arrow I started being able to compensate and shoot in any condition. Pick the setup you like best and shoot it in every situation and do everything you can to get as close as possible and you'll be fine.

Buffeting by open-country wind and fear of not being able to hold a steady aim can lead to target panic and blown shots. I agree w/ @Marble that this is as much or more of a factor than arrow drift.

Strongly consider using a heavy-ish, long stabilizer.

If you need to RUN that stabilizer, add another 2oz ;-)

Practice as much as possible in the wind. Perhaps even consider zip tying thin plastic plates to the upper / lower risers of the bow to force it to move more in light breezes so you get used to the bow being buffeted.

JL
When I hunt open country I run a back bar and a longer front bar with way more weight to just add mass to the bottom of the bow. Out of a tree when I know 99% of my shots will be sub 50, I just run a front bar for this exact reason. I shoot outside at 90+ yards all summer to just get used to the bow moving and watching the average of the pin float. Love your advice man, solid

You didn't ask for it, but I would add Grim Reaper Pro Mechanicals into the mix. 3 Blade. They're outstanding.
Agreed. I really only like 3 mechanicals anymore and they're one that hasn't let me down. Sevr, grim reaper and evolution are kind of the only mechanicals I will shoot anymore. Others may be good, but I have a pile of all these and they've never left me wanting anything besides more tags to fill