Ammo recommendations

Hi all, I just came back from a hunting trip in Spain for the Beceite and Southeastern Ibexes, and I’m not satisfied with the performance of the Berger 205 EH and the 175 EH on my 300PRC and 7PRC. Both of my rifles have 22” barrels and feature twist rates of 9.5 and 8, respectively.

Although I bagged the two animals I shot at and hit them perfectly in the “kill zone,” one shot was from 385 yards and the other from 600 yards. However, the bullets seemed to just pass through the animals without causing sufficient damage to stop them in their tracks. They ran about 300-400 yards, and the outfitter there told me it was because these bullets are very hard and don’t expand well. He said they are good for matches, but for hunting, I need a soft tip to inflict more damage. Both animals shouldn’t have run more than 10-20 yards.

Any comments or advice on what to use or change?

I tried Hornady ammo, but at the bench, the Bergers grouped much better and had much better numbers on MV, SD, and ED, so that’s why I chose them over Hornady.

I’m not a reloader, but I would be willing to hire someone to help me develop the correct and most efficient round for my rifles.

Rich M

WKR
Hunting bullets sound like the way to go. No reason for critters to run 300-400 yds with hole thru the lungs/

No experience with your caliber but wanted to throw out my suggestion of Barnes TTSX for a round. I made the switch a few years back and I've had excellent performance on everything from whitetails to black bear to elk. All shots were within 300yds from a 30-06 and never had a blood trail further than 100yds. These are a polymer tipped rounds and I've recovered quite a few from the animals I've taken, most fully intact and mushroomed as intended. Something to consider...