An archer builds a rifle.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
For some reason which now escapes me, I decided to build a rifle this winter. I'm a proud owner of many fine firearms but I've never had a rifle built from scratch; mainly because most of my hunting has been with archery equipment....even during Montana's general rifle season. Yet over the last few seasons I've been frequently picking up rifles and headed to the mountains and it been a blast!

So with limited knowledge of rifle building but a solid background in guns I decided to reach out to someone who knows the needs of a rifle build; Ryan Avery. He recommended a gunsmith and some basic components after describing my overall goals of the project.

The idea is to have a rifle that is moderately easy to lug around the steep, brush-choked, and heavily timbered mountains of NW Montana and Northern Idaho. It has to be capable of close range work as well as the ability to shoot comfortably out to the 600 yard range. So here is what the build is looking like so far.....

Remington 700 long action - blue printed with a Pacific Tool & Gage bolt and a new recoil lug.

Chambered in a 28 Nosler.

McMillan Hunter edge fill stock.

McGowen Precision stainless barrel - #4 straight fluted 7mm. 1:8 twist, 24 inches finished length

Trigger Tech trigger.

Wyatt's extended box.

Cerakote by Kampfeld custom.

Hawkins base and rings.

Matt Whaley is the the gunsmith and the back and forth of our text messages is pretty comical. He had what seemed like a thousand questions and for most of the answers I was clueless. I'm have no doubt the rifle will turn out great, but if anyone has any suggestions or comments please post them up.

Stay tuned to watch the build take place as well as the testing and learning curve I am about to undergo of building and using a precision rifle.

Here is the donor rifle.
rem%20700.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the donor rifle and how did it shoot?

It's a Remington 700 BDL chambered in a .338 Win Mag. It shoots ok with handloads; somewhere slightly over an inch. It's been so long since I've used it, that I needed to either sell it or use it for a build.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
are you planning to change out the trigger group for a Timney with 3 function safety ?

I wasn't planning on it. But please explain why it would be beneficial. I'm always interested in expanding my knowledge on the subject.