And here it comes...

Perhaps you're right.

So here's a serious question. How do you know those units were "blown up" by threads on this (or other) forums? Is that just an assumption or do you actually talk to people out there in the units that say they learned about those places online?

I don't talk to that many people when I'm out hunting. When I get there, I set up camp, scout and hunt and if I'm running into too many folks I just move. Never thought to ask them why they were there.

A couple years ago, I was glassing from a high point on a highway. I had been at this same spot 3 mornings and evenings in a row and literally hundreds of cars had passed me while I was sitting there glassing. There was no doubt they knew what I was doing and where I was looking. About day 4, two guys from PA come up to me in their rental car, get out and immediately ask me what I'm seeing and where I'm looking. So I told them. They were acting fidgety and I could tell something was on their mind. So I said "let me guess, I'm looking right into "your" hunting area?" Yup. They said they had been hunting that area for the past 6 years and had just flown in the day before the opener. Well I took an extra week off work just to scout. I had started 5 miles from there and scouted hard for 6 days and ended up where I met those guys. Not my fault that's where the elk were.

So, do you suppose those guys figured I learned about that spot on a hunting forum? They never asked.

It takes a brain surgeon to figure out the internet makes an impact when there's three times more people parked along a road than last year, they have mostly out of state plates, and they tell you where they heard about the unit. No, savage, who's hunted Colorado as a nonresident twice, knows all and should tell us all how we're wrong.

WTFJohn

WKR
Perhaps you're right.

So here's a serious question. How do you know those units were "blown up" by threads on this (or other) forums? Is that just an assumption or do you actually talk to people out there in the units that say they learned about those places online?

So, do you suppose those guys figured I learned about that spot on a hunting forum? They never asked.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/unit-751-co.114887/

It took me less than 30 seconds to find out where this guy was going to park his truck, and what trail he'd be taking to get there. If you can't see how that kind of thing is a problem, you probably are part of the problem too.

Not trying to be part of the problem. Just trying to learn, like the guy in post #2 said...

I saw that too and was curious why they chose to share so much detail, but it is a public forum and they are asking about public land. Seemed like a good way to hose their own hunt, but who am I to say.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/unit-751-co.114887/

It took me less than 30 seconds to find out where this guy was going to park his truck, and what trail he'd be taking to get there. If you can't see how that kind of thing is a problem, you probably are part of the problem too.

It's hard to figure these things out when you've been to Colorado twice. But as a fighter and know-it-all Savage can always tell everyone they're wrong and spout on about something he knows nothing about. Attacking a founding member was the cherry on top.

It's hard to figure these things out when you've been to Colorado twice. But as a fighter and know-it-all Savage can always tell everyone they're wrong and spout on about something he knows nothing about. Attacking a founding member was the cherry on top.
Not sure why you keep saying twice. LOL

You're making me rethink moving to CO though. Idaho is looking better all the time. :D

ChrisAU

WKR
If its any solace, the new forum isn't google searchable it appears. When researching in the past I'd just throw "Colorado GMU 897 rokslide" in the google machine and get a bevy of info. Doesn't turn up anything now.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
If its any solace, the new forum isn't google searchable it appears. When researching in the past I'd just throw "Colorado GMU 897 rokslide" in the google machine and get a bevy of info. Doesn't turn up anything now.

We had to re-index it the other day. It will start showing up again soon.

This thread is comical. If people want to ask questions about units who cares. You don’t have to participate. I have and will ask about units. Nothing specific but some very general info can help paint the picture needed. In the past I have asked people to give me an opinion on my strategy. Maybe there is something I missed that could potentially ruin half my hunting time. To suggest censorship just because you don’t like it is quite ridiculous.

chasewild

WKR
This thread is comical. If people want to ask questions about units who cares. You don’t have to participate. I have and will ask about units. Nothing specific but some very general info can help paint the picture needed. In the past I have asked people to give me an opinion on my strategy. Maybe there is something I missed that could potentially ruin half my hunting time. To suggest censorship just because you don’t like it is quite ridiculous.

I agree, it is. But what is more comical is that people sincerely believe these constant (not singular) posts about GMUs do not have an impact on the quality of the hunt in that unit and the culture of hunting in general. And yes, I like your point about censorship -- it speaks to the lawyer in me and I agree that speech must not be censored. But, then again, Rokslide isn't a state actor and they can censor whatever they want.

I think the point of this thread is simple -- be courteous, be diligent, own the hunt, embrace the work, respect the craft, and leave that hand-out bullshit at the door.

I agree, it is. But what is more comical is that people sincerely believe these constant (not singular) posts about GMUs do not have an impact on the quality of the hunt in that unit and the culture of hunting in general. And yes, I like your point about censorship -- it speaks to the lawyer in me and I agree that speech must not be censored. But, then again, Rokslide isn't a state actor and they can censor whatever they want.

I think the point of this thread is simple -- be courteous, be diligent, own the hunt, embrace the work, respect the craft, and leave that hand-out bullshit at the door.

I agree that posting certain kinds of things can have a negative effect on units/areas. People posting certain info in threads sucks. I also think that a lot of people ask the right questions and get a little help and I support that. Then there are the OIL units that people ask for help on. I have no issue with that. I would hope that rockslide wouldn’t censor everyone from the opportunity of getting a little guidance just because of a few that take it too far.

204guy

WKR
I find it comical that in 2019 someone can be ignorant enough to post a question on a forum about a general, otc, or easy to draw unit and expect to get good info. Yet it happens and they sometime get relevant info so they'll keep doing it. I've no problem with the sharing of info, it's a free country but at least have the courtesy to share that information privately so that every lazy ass googling the unit doesn't stumble across that info. There's guys that are heavily invested in these areas with a lot of sweat equity. It's incredibly disrespectful to say well I'm not going to hunt there again so here you go.
It's kinda like that guy you don't hunt with anymore. Everyone knows to keep hunting areas secretive within your small group, then Larry gets drunk at the bar and tells everyone he can find about how great the hunting is in your spot. Don't be a Larry.

Last edited: