Angle comped distance vs full value

Kind of tough to describe in the title, but my buddy and I were having a debate regarding shooting long range and using the angle comped distance a rangefinder gives you.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage by using only the corrected range your angle compensating RF gives you? Or for the utmost accuracy, is better to shoot the range non-compensated and add the angle of the shot in your ballistic app software,then go off that calculation.

So the scenario would be a target at 600 yards. The decline is 35 degrees. So even though it’s a 600 yard shot, your RF tells you shoot for 530 yards due to the decline. Let’s also say your gun is zeroed at 100 if that makes any difference.

Would there be any advantage or disadvantages to either way of going about it? Seems like it’s two ways to get to the same outcome, but we debated if there may be more of a factor for wind drift or other potential issues with either system.

Probably overthinking the whole thing, but figured I’d ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
Kind of tough to describe in the title, but my buddy and I were having a debate regarding shooting long range and using the angle comped distance a rangefinder gives you.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage by using only the corrected range your angle compensating RF gives you? Or for the utmost accuracy, is better to shoot the range non-compensated and add the angle of the shot in your ballistic app software,then go off that calculation.

So the scenario would be a target at 600 yards. The decline is 35 degrees. So even though it’s a 600 yard shot, your RF tells you shoot for 530 yards due to the decline. Let’s also say your gun is zeroed at 100 if that makes any difference.

Would there be any advantage or disadvantages to either way of going about it? Seems like it’s two ways to get to the same outcome, but we debated if there may be more of a factor for wind drift or other potential issues with either system.

Probably overthinking the whole thing, but figured I’d ask!

The range finder is doing the work for you. Why on earth would you want to manually enter the data in the calculator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
F
The range finder is doing the work for you. Why on earth would you want to manually enter the data in the calculator?

I don’t know! That’s the question!
I’m overthinking it obviously.

FURMAN

WKR
I don’t know! That’s the question!
I’m overthinking it obviously.

Yes. I can assure you I didn’t purchase a Sig 2400 to manually input the data. Obviously I recommend validating drops with the tools you intend to use.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
If proven accurate the RF does it quick.
A side note, you dope for the compensated range but hold wind for the actual range.

R

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
If your angle goes north of 60 degrees your RF will likely be inaccurate. There are limitations to the algarytyms used. It's fairly common occurrence for archery sheep hunters. This is where your balistic pda may be more accurate.

All that said, go shoot off a cliff and test your RF. I'm curious as to the results.