Anker Portable Chargers

I bought this one October 2017:

I also bought this solar panel to charge it with while I'm out running around during the day:

That combo of block and solar has kept me running around quite a bit, we do a lot of camping from fishing to deer hunting and obviously the Western stuff about every other weekend for quite some time. No complaints from those items whatsoever. I even use that block to charge my Fenix HL60r headlamp.

I have a 5 year old Anker 10000. Works fine, but takes something like 8 hours to charge my S7. Are they all this slow?

EDIT: Bought another 10k tonight. This one is Qualcomm rated, 18 watts of fast charging speed!

Last edited:
OP - there are some threads on backpackinglight.com that probably get into the level of geeking out that you are currently doing. I chose the model i did by looking for for the best weight to capacity model on amazon at a good price and pulled the trigger. In the end they are all just cheap batteries. I trust input from through hikers on this one and they have seemingly held anker as the gold standard for a while.

I have a 5 year old Anker 10000. Works fine, but takes something like 8 hours to charge my S7. Are they all this slow?

No. My anker (13000 i think?) charges my iphones faster than plugging them into the wall.

I considered them all and did lots of research. It came down to Anker or Zendure. I went with the Zendure A5 portable. It is pricier than the Anker but IMO from the reviews I saw its a better charger and fit my needs more so than the Anker. It has performed flawlessly.

OP
Indian Summer
I bought this one October 2017:

I also bought this solar panel to charge it with while I'm out running around during the day:

That combo of block and solar has kept me running around quite a bit, we do a lot of camping from fishing to deer hunting and obviously the Western stuff about every other weekend for quite some time. No complaints from those items whatsoever. I even use that block to charge my Fenix HL60r headlamp.
Assuming there is a sufficient amount of sunlight how long does it take to recharge your battery pack with that solar panel?

Last edited:
OP
Indian Summer
Is the OP wanting an elk specific Anker?
Elk is nothing compared to far north Alaska or the furthest reaches of Saskatchewan. After reading the comments... the intelligent ones, I think the best solution is something that hasn’t been mentioned. Two Anker 13000s. For a couple reasons. They are much smaller and lighter to pack than a 20000 or 26800. The devices can take quite awhile to charge so I can use one while the other is charging. And most of all if by chance something would really go wrong and a unit won’t function at all a second one would solve the problem.

Decades of guiding and outfitting after belonging to the Boy Scout will make you a detail oriented planner. You might think this thread isn’t worth the time but that’s what I think when I read the threads every day where guys say they hunted for 2 or 4 or even 8 years in Colorado, haven’t killed an elk, and are looking for a better unit in Colorado.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The only stupid question is the one that isn’t asked.

Last edited:
Elk is nothing compared to far north Alaska or the furthest reaches of Saskatchewan. After reading the comments... the intelligent ones, I think the best solution is something that hasn’t been mentioned. Two Anker 13000s. For a couple reasons. They are much smaller and lighter to pack than a 20000 or 26800. The devices can take quite awhile to charge so I can use one while the other is charging. And most of all if by chance something would really go wrong and a unit won’t function at all a second one would solve the problem.

Decades of guiding and outfitting after belonging to the Boy Scout will make you a detail oriented planner. You might think this thread isn’t worth the time but that’s what I think when I read the threads every day where guys say they hunted for 2 or 4 or even 8 years in Colorado, haven’t killed an elk, and are looking for a better unit in Colorado.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Does it makes sense to poll the readership of this community, get their advice, and completely discard it?

26000maH, how long you stay in one spot? Two weeks? That's like 20+ pounds of food and you're concerned about a couple ounces on the charger?

OP
Indian Summer
Does it makes sense to poll the readership of this community, get their advice, and completely discard it?

26000maH, how long you stay in one spot? Two weeks? That's like 20+ pounds of food and you're concerned about a couple ounces on the charger?
Short answer... yes. Just like any forum member asks for feedback on anything.

Trips are more than 2 weeks. In grizzly country. Where we need a transporter to know via Inreach if anyone is hurt or a moose or caribou us down. And I don’t carry all of my food in my daypack on a daily basis. Ounces add up to pounds. I have the lightest sil tarp I could find without sacrificing quality, the lightest trekking poles I dared to go with etc etc. If this isn’t your style of hunting or something you care to read about the solution is simple.... move on 2 dogs.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Me and my hunting partner carried a total of 1 22k and 1 12k. At night we'd share the 22k to charge our phones/headlamps/InReach (we both used rechargeable headlamps and OnX on our phones and took a billion photos with our phones), and one of us would carry the 12k during the day in case we needed it. Never needed it, but with one night left in a 7 night/8 day trip the 22k died, so the 12k picked up front line duty. The 12k still had 75% give or take when we came out. We only cut the InReach on at night to text our wives and when I had a bull down to text our other groups InReach. We topped it off one night, don't remember which one. We did have to take special care to keep all electronics and the chargers in our sleeping bags with us at night. Temps were below 0 or near it every night and the one night my phone slipped out of my bag onto the ground is probably what made the 12k have to pull front line duty the last night.

Edit: These are RavPower chargers.

OP
Indian Summer
Thanks Chris that’s exactly the kind of information I’m looking for. Your reply actually changed my decision. Instead of two 13000 models I’m going to get a 20000 strictly for camp and a 13000 for the pack. It sounds like that’ll be sufficient for one man for 2-3 weeks. My gps runs off of AA batteries so that won’t be included in what I need to charge. Much appreciated!

ChrisAU

WKR
Thanks Chris that’s exactly the kind of information I’m looking for. Your reply actually changed my decision. Instead of two 13000 models I’m going to get a 20000 strictly for camp and a 13000 for the pack. It sounds like that’ll be sufficient for one man for 2-3 weeks. My gps runs off of AA batteries so that won’t be included in what I need to charge. Much appreciated!

A note, we could run our iPhones on airplane mode and use OnX fairly heavily and take a pile of photos and never have our phones get below 60-65% before getting back to camp that evening. If you have a phone that doesn't have a healthy battery than your mileage may vary.

Short answer... yes. Just like any forum member asks for feedback on anything.

Trips are more than 2 weeks. In grizzly country. Where we need a transporter to know via Inreach if anyone is hurt or a moose or caribou us down. And I don’t carry all of my food in my daypack on a daily basis. Ounces add up to pounds. I have the lightest sil tarp I could find without sacrificing quality, the lightest trekking poles I dared to go with etc etc. If this isn’t your style of hunting or something you care to read about the solution is simple.... move on 2 dogs.

I'm just confused why is this topic posted in the elk forum?

OP
Indian Summer
I'm just confused why is this topic posted in the elk forum?
Because I am first and foremost an elk hunter and elk hunters are who I talk to most and value their opinions.

Also it was this elk forum where I first heard of the product. Wapitibobtalked about it in a gear thread. Also... I’ll use it for elk hunting as well. So is that ok?

Attachments

• CAAF8AB5-2A95-43F0-B945-7DE9C2B52FB2.jpeg
    CAAF8AB5-2A95-43F0-B945-7DE9C2B52FB2.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 16

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because I am first and foremost an elk hunter and elk hunters are who I talk to most and value their opinions.

Also it was this elk forum where I first heard of the product. Wapitibobtalked about it in a gear thread. Also... I’ll use it for elk hunting as well. So is that ok?
You've been feeling pretty damn snarky lately. There's a reason there is more than one forum on Rokslide

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
50 threads on these chargers if you search.

I see you did like my dual charger strategy.......its a good one.

These chargers can fail- 2 better than one

I sometimes have to charge while hunting, my phone plugged into the charger sometimes....smaller is better

A second charger can be charged when you are driving a quad, side by side or vehicle. Your buddy takes off in another direction he can be charging your second charger while he drives to town to get his bull processed- or whatever

Many good options owning 2 smaller ones vs one big one

______

OP
Indian Summer
You've been feeling pretty damn snarky lately. There's a reason there is more than one forum on Rokslide

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Only when provoked. Actually I have a really long fuse. But some people are pretty relentless don’t you agree? I’m keeping it clean though. No problem with that.

I guess I am guilty of using the wrong section though. The elk forum is saved to my favorites and I do have a habit of mainly using it. I’ve never been on the gear forum. Feel free to relocate the thread. You can delete it if you want since I’ve gotten the feedback I was hoping for. And thanks for your service!

Last edited: